The Queen of the South thread

3 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

We (yet again) need a no nonsense central defender who can organise things. As others have said our purple patch last season covered over the fact that for big chunks of the season we were pretty awful.

Have been saying this for weeks but some fans seem to thing you don't need experience in the centre of the defence just hope for the best with young players .

Thought we played well at times today. Schoolboy defending again our issue. We played extremely well keeping the ball on the deck against Airdrie and again today but there was to many long balls today. Ruben was not at the races and Paton was not in the game first half. Cochrane done okay when he came on. But for me far too many long balls at times especially when the new guys came in at the back. We are good on the deck so why punt it. Roy looked like the player they were all talking before he scored some goals. What about composure and time when Connelly shut the goalie down. Looking forward to the Killie game next week even although we lost today. 
I've been impressed with Roy so far but today reminded me so much of how Baird used to play against. Almost as if he was so desperate to score that he tried too hard any ended up playing badly.

I’m disappointed but still encouraged enough. Goals were shite to lose, probably highlighting work still needing to be done on Euan East in terms of defensive positioning etc. Think the end of the game highlights our need for an experienced head to sort us out and just see the game out. Disappointing to lose a deserved point. Encouraged enough that we done enough to warrant it, as I was a bit nervous. Goals 1+2 both similar, cross in too easily and a very clever Brian Graham peeling to our left onto east/Gibson. Moving forward we need to get Gibson back to his more natural right hand side and Debayo down left I guess.

Rae had little chance with any of the goals. Paton was pretty quiet on right expectedly but felt through middle was a problem for them. Nditi is a class act, McKay I actually thought was okay first half but second was all over the bit, East generally did okay bar the goals for me on first viewing anyway. Liked look of Chima when he came on, great build, looked decent on ball, bit of pace and couple of challenges in that time. Gibson his usual self although felt he started delaying too much at times. Debayo pretty anonymous when he came on but can be difficult. McGrory and Todd were neat and tidy enough, thought Cochrane followed suit when he came on. Connelly busy, but needed a bit more quality. Ruben was pretty quiet. Roy did okay but had to score that chance, if it’s against us the opposition put that away everytime.

Still think we’re just shy of a decent side. Another centre half, a winger/no.10 in mould of Jones and another striker.

20 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

I’m disappointed but still encouraged enough. Goals were shite to lose, probably highlighting work still needing to be done on Euan East in terms of defensive positioning etc. Think the end of the game highlights our need for an experienced head to sort us out and just see the game out. Disappointing to lose a deserved point. Encouraged enough that we done enough to warrant it, as I was a bit nervous. Goals 1+2 both similar, cross in too easily and a very clever Brian Graham peeling to our left onto east/Gibson. Moving forward we need to get Gibson back to his more natural right hand side and Debayo down left I guess.

Rae had little chance with any of the goals. Paton was pretty quiet on right expectedly but felt through middle was a problem for them. Nditi is a class act, McKay I actually thought was okay first half but second was all over the bit, East generally did okay bar the goals for me on first viewing anyway. Liked look of Chima when he came on, great build, looked decent on ball, bit of pace and couple of challenges in that time. Gibson his usual self although felt he started delaying too much at times. Debayo pretty anonymous when he came on but can be difficult. McGrory and Todd were neat and tidy enough, thought Cochrane followed suit when he came on. Connelly busy, but needed a bit more quality. Ruben was pretty quiet. Roy did okay but had to score that chance, if it’s against us the opposition put that away everytime.

Still think we’re just shy of a decent side. Another centre half, a winger/no.10 in mould of Jones and another striker.

Have said for a long time our loan signing will be crucial why we have not used any loans yet is a mystery to me .

You are spot on with what we need we must try and get it now not wait till it is too late .

Have said for a long time our loan signing will be crucial why we have not used any loans yet is a mystery to me .
You are spot on with what we need we must try and get it now not wait till it is too late .

I think the club will be trying, do you think they just sit on their hands all week?

13 minutes ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

Surprised no one has mentioned McKay starting in the back three instead of Dunn today?

I think AJ wanted to appease Northfield by dropping a boy who's done next to nothing wrong to accommodate experience.

Edited by Slipmat

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He'd only be happy if Scott Dunn got replaced by Clive.

Scott Dunn is a  decent young  player but needs a few reserve games before he is ready to  play in the Championship

Even Wullie Gibson says that think he will have a better idea than any fan. 

14 minutes ago, Northfield said:

Scott Dunn is a  decent young  player but needs a few reserve games before he is ready to  play in the Championship

Even Wullie Gibson says that think he will have a better idea than any fan. 

True enough. Have they got a Reserve League this season?

This at me? If so, apols. Bbq and beers to blame. Took the bait.
Nah just a general rule of thumb for everyone. He stinks out this place every single time he posts his spam so I eventually cracked and put him on ignore. I've never done that in the 14 years I've posted on here so wasn't aware when folk quoted his shite that I'd still be punished by having to see it. Clearly a major oversight by the Admin [emoji38]

18 hours ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

Surprised no one has mentioned McKay starting in the back three instead of Dunn today?

I was at the Airdrie game, and while Dunn went on to have a decent game, he started nervously, and dithered and was dispossessed in the box early on. Mistakes like that would likely be punished in the Championship, but we got away with it against a fairly poor Airdrie side. I thought he showed promise, has good physical presence, but was quite raw looking. I’m not sure East is a long term defensive option tbh, though he’s done relatively well in an unfamiliar role. Against Airdrie (and in most of the League Cup games) I thought Queens looked decent going forward, but looked like we were patching together a defence while waiting for signing targets to arrive, which we were. The Airdrie game could have finished 6-4 tbh. 

Yesterday we looked like a few of the defensive options (including those brought on from the bench) had barely met before, hopefully because a few of them had barely met before. I suppose the strategy of bringing in players very late in the day for the start of the league campaign was always likely to leave us looking a bit disjointed in the early games. The defence seems to be the component of the side that is being slotted in last, and that is a high risk strategy for the early part of the league campaign. I suspect we’ll only get a sense of what our realistic prospects are for the season when we’ve played the first quarter of matches (and as we saw last season, even that might not be an accurate barometer). 

Roy and Soares Jr looked promising in some of the cup matches, but both looked a little out of their depth yesterday, hopefully that was just a one-off. I’m still reasonably hopeful for the campaign (I like the look of a few of the new players - Nditi, Paton and Connelly particularly) as we played some lovely stuff in some of the cup matches, but being easy on the eye going forward isn’t going to compensate for glaring defensive deficiencies, so let’s hope the new players (and any loans we might bring in) bed in quickly and mesh together well, or we could be playing catch up again as we were last season.

I was at the Airdrie game, and while Dunn went on to have a decent game, he started nervously, and dithered and was dispossessed in the box early on. Mistakes like that would likely be punished in the Championship, but we got away with it against a fairly poor Airdrie side. I thought he showed promise, has good physical presence, but was quite raw looking. I’m not sure East is a long term defensive option tbh, though he’s done relatively well in an unfamiliar role. Against Airdrie (and in most of the League Cup games) I thought Queens looked decent going forward, but looked like we were patching together a defence while waiting for signing targets to arrive, which we were. The Airdrie game could have finished 6-4 tbh. 
Yesterday we looked like a few of the defensive options (including those brought on from the bench) had barely met before, hopefully because a few of them had barely met before. I suppose the strategy of bringing in players very late in the day for the start of the league campaign was always likely to leave us looking a bit disjointed in the early games. The defence seems to be the component of the side that is being slotted in last, and that is a high risk strategy for the early part of the league campaign. I suspect we’ll only get a sense of what our realistic prospects are for the season when we’ve played the first quarter of matches (and as we saw last season, even that might not be an accurate barometer). 
Roy and Soares Jr looked promising in some of the cup matches, but both looked a little out of their depth yesterday, hopefully that was just a one-off. I’m still reasonably hopeful for the campaign (I like the look of a few of the new players - Nditi, Paton and Connelly particularly) as we played some lovely stuff in some of the cup matches, but being easy on the eye going forward isn’t going to compensate for glaring defensive deficiencies, so let’s hope the new players (and any loans we might bring in) bed in quickly and mesh together well, or we could be playing catch up again as we were last season.

Fair comment - we have signed a lot of very promising young players and we have played entertaining football in all of the games. Against Airdrie we were particularly positive but the problem is trying to assess the true value of good performances against teams who are clearly someway short of Championship level.

Yesterday highlighted the defensive weaknesses - run of the mill Champ teams are invariably tough, uncompromising, organised and very fit. In many of these games the better football team loses as they are invariably close and the best “grinders” tend to edge them. We soaked up pressure last season and hit teams on the break with several “sucker punches” in classic Championship fashion. This year we look as though we have a much better squad in terms of ability but as you say we have to tighten up dramatically at the back or lose matches that we really don’t deserve to.

I was very disappointed yesterday - that was so winnable against a very mediocre Partick team and we somehow found a way to concede 3 goals which left a mountain to climb. A good well organised central defence will invariably keep you up in this league - conceding the sort of cheap goals that have now become part of our ongoing DNA will undoubtedly stop us in our tracks.