The Queen of the South thread

Jobber is originally a wrestling term, which refers to someone who is brought in to “do a job” (ie. lose matches to bigger, more relevant names).

So I’d say below a journeyman is fair enough in football terms. Gregor Buchanan probably sums it up quite well. Will “do a job”, but not very well.

Edited by Nightmare

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Gregor Buchanan probably sums it up quite well. Will “do a job”, but not very well.

But, is that actually doing a job?  If they don't do it very well, then some other schmuk has to clean/tidy up/pick the ball out of the net after them, which means they've failed in their job.  No?

18 minutes ago, DeeGeeOneHamer said:

But, is that actually doing a job?  If they don't do it very well, then some other schmuk has to clean/tidy up/pick the ball out of the net after them, which means they've failed in their job.  No?

I suppose there’s not really a direct comparison because nobody in football is brought in to deliberately play badly (or at least, you’d assume not…)

Maybe a better qualification of ‘jobber’ in the football sense would be someone who is backup calibre. They “do the job” in helping to fill a squad but shouldn’t be playing regularly. But I’d say they’re definitely below journeymen regardless of how we define them!

3 hours ago, QosLoyal said:

Isiah jones next please

This would be great, but I don't think it will happen, as Isaiah has been training and playing with the Middlesbrough first team on their pre-season tour the last couple weeks. He also played a full half in their latest friendly v York City which suggests he's in Warnock's plans for the season.

Edit: just found this from their local paper:

Jones catches the eye

The second half was low-key, the only real moment of note being Paddy McNair's missed penalty.

And wholesale changes didn't help matters, disrupting the flow as is often the case. But that's what friendlies are for, of course. Getting as many players as possible minutes under their belt is more important than the result.

It was a player introduced at the break who was the bright spark in the second half: Isaiah Jones. Fresh from an impressive loan spell at Queen of the South last term, Jones was fast and fearless at York, his direct approach troubling the hosts down their right side.

On several occasions he created openings thanks to his blistering speed. He doesn't complicate things. He plays to his strengths: his pace. He was positive. We might see quite a lot of him this coming season.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

4 hours ago, lowland star said:

See the ex qos player  Dapo  Mebude now at Watford  looks like be was badly injured in a game last night . I hope he has a speedy recovery because I think there is a decent footballer there .good luck 

He’s fine. He was released from hospital today. 

Another 2 year deal is incredible, what’s gan on?! Young player again as well. Supposedly once watched by Benfica and Braga and recently on trial with Newcastle and Coventry so he must have something about him. Really exciting times ahead just now at the club IMO. 

I do like how we’ve tapped into the English market for players and it’s not the same typical championship Merry-go-round. I mean they might turn out to be shite, remember falkirk’s shambles, but is something quite exciting about signing some unknown, hopefully promising youngsters. 

I do think we are an appealing prospect for young players looking to go further in the game. There’s now numerous examples with Shields, Obileye, Dykes where they’ve played well with us and we’ve got players good moves. Same with the loans as well, we have a small squad so players will get a chance. I like the thought of the 2-4 Middlesbrough loans, hopefully something like that is still in the pipeline.