The Queen of the South thread

6 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

Does Willie Gibson play that well most weeks? 36 and been down in the lower leagues I thought he would be done at this stage of his career.  He was a player I liked a lot back in his first spell with you and he looked absolutely fantastic today absolute game changer 

He’s been a revelation since he came back and no one gave him a chance. A pleasure to watch. 

11 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

My post wasn’t directed at you. Just quoted for context.

He had mentioned in an interview recently that he hasn't had any offers yet. That did look like any reasonable move in Scotland was off the table, due to the development fee. I'm glad for the boy, that appears to have been dropped by hearts. I would have thought clubs higher up the pecking order would have gone for him if this wasn't an issue earlier. But it's worked out well for queen's, and I think he'll be a very decent signing for you guys.

17 minutes ago, Juanhourjoe said:

He had mentioned in an interview recently that he hasn't had any offers yet. That did look like any reasonable move in Scotland was off the table, due to the development fee. I'm glad for the boy, that appears to have been dropped by hearts. I would have thought clubs higher up the pecking order would have gone for him if this wasn't an issue earlier. But it's worked out well for queen's, and I think he'll be a very decent signing for you guys.

Maybe a combination of the development fee and two (by all accounts) less than stellar loan spells at Dunfermline and Montrose (?) has put off the bigger clubs.  Perhaps something of a gamble for Queens to give him a two year contract but you'd like to think that AJ/SC have liked what they've seen in training over the last month.  Time will tell, hope the lad gets his confidence back and there's probably less pressure on him at a club like Queens so maybe the club/player will be a good match - here's hoping.

Any reason why Cochrane would sign at 6.30pm rather than 1.30pm and play the game yesterday. Would it not have been good to have a game with colleagues rather than having to wait another week. Is there a deadline for signing player to play yesterday

Any reason why Cochrane would sign at 6.30pm rather than 1.30pm and play the game yesterday. Would it not have been good to have a game with colleagues rather than having to wait another week. Is there a deadline for signing player to play yesterday

He’s been carrying a knock, don’t think he trained towards end of the week

11 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

He’s been a revelation since he came back and no one gave him a chance. A pleasure to watch. 

Rhys McCabe what was the general impression of him at Queens,   he seems a calm head , simp!e possession type player which are bizarrely hard to find these days.... You seem to have upgraded him with Harry Cochrane though....

Rhys McCabe what was the general impression of him at Queens,   he seems a calm head , simp!e possession type player which are bizarrely hard to find these days.... You seem to have upgraded him with Harry Cochrane though....

Got caught out a few times defensively, bit of a Shitebag. A very good talker on park and always neat and tidy in possession.

On 25/07/2021 at 03:48, ALOREBURNE said:

He was a pleasure to watch think left wing back on Saturday  got him even  more involved in the game coming inside on his right foot 

Away from Wullie we must try and get experienced height and be more physical especially at centre back players of the build of a Ayo is what we need hopefully we can add that this week 

Edited by Northfield

1 hour ago, Northfield said:

He was a pleasure to watch think left wing back on Saturday  got him even  more involved in the game coming inside on his right foot 

Away from Wullie we must try and get experienced height and be more physical especially at centre back players of the build of a Ayo is what we need hopefully we can add that this week 

Our defence looked a bit more solid last season when we brought in inexperienced Breen and moved Obileye slightly forward which,  incidentally,  coincided with our picking up some much needed points. We have also got 29 year old Cooper to come in when fit.  I'd be interested to know what people actually think is the magic point where a player goes from being considered inexperienced to being experienced. 

100% agree. It's just a football cliche.

We need good players, they can be of any age.

Our defence looked a bit more solid last season when we brought in inexperienced Breen and moved Obileye slightly forward which,  incidentally,  coincided with our picking up some much needed points. We have also got 29 year old Cooper to come in when fit.  I'd be interested to know what people actually think is the magic point where a player goes from being considered inexperienced to being experienced. 

Debayo is 24 years old,  does he fall into the experienced or inexperienced category. Perhaps Northfield can put us right on that. 

I’d say he was in the intermediate experience range without yet having reached the dizzy heights of “journeyman”. You know how we love a journeyman (reference Mr P Houston).

53 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I’d say he was in the intermediate experience range without yet having reached the dizzy heights of “journeyman”. You know how we love a journeyman (reference Mr P Houston).

I think they're referred to as "jobbers"  now, or is a jobber a grade below or above a journeyman?