The Queen of the South thread

Watched the match last night. Was the cameraman a robot😂.

Impressed with our play in general. Good for Roy and Paton to get there goals. Connelly is a live wire and will get better with games. AJ is going to bring on signings but I must admit I have really enjoyed the first 2 games. Plenty of chances created by young hungry players. Willie Gibson is playing out of his skin again this year. Motherwell on Saturday will be a totally different game I would imagine with a lot less chances. But let's be brave as that result is not going to determine our season. Euan East take a bow son. Think he may have a new position.

Agree - given another complete rebuild the first two performances have been decent. Football is much more pleasing on the eye than last season but it remains to be seen whether we can grind out results in the same way as the team did last season. No way should East be contemplating playing anywhere else on the evidence of his last two displays - strolled through the games and now that he can see everything in front of him his distribution is very promising. Early days but if he keeps playing like this an extended contract might be needed sooner rather than later.We certainly have plenty of pace and invention up top so expect us to be entertaining. Obviously we face some big tests ahead and we could do with some more experience in midfield and at the back but we have the nucleus of good base to work from. We should really have had six points on the board but encouraging start all things considered.

Agree - given another complete rebuild the first two performances have been decent. Football is much more pleasing on the eye than last season but it remains to be seen whether we can grind out results in the same way as the team did last season. No way should East be contemplating playing anywhere else on the evidence of his last two displays - strolled through the games and now that he can see everything in front of him his distribution is very promising. Early days but if he keeps playing like this an extended contract might be needed sooner rather than later.We certainly have plenty of pace and invention up top so expect us to be entertaining. Obviously we face some big tests ahead and we could do with some more experience in midfield and at the back but we have the nucleus of good base to work from. We should really have had six points on the board but encouraging start all things considered.

Very fair summary. Agree we need some experience. To me we look to have some players with ability but are a bit lightweight.
AJ has already stated that we need a good few more players in so hopefully we can improve things. I’m assuming the loan market will be crucial again.

Pixalot, sunshine and a plastic pitch made it almost unwatchable for me tbh so I can't really comment on what went on on the far away side but from what I saw last night there were plenty of positives.

Was impressed by a few of the new boys and we look like we're going to be a quick side again this season. It was a good forward foot display at times where we took the game to Annan. I hope that's AJ's approach throughout the season.

If Gibson feels he has the legs I hope he's played further forward this season. A lot of positive attacks came through him. Some of Connolly's crosses were incredible and I was impressed with Roy's willingness to shoot from anywhere. In games where we're behind I expect he'll do this and receive some flack from the crowd but a striker not scared to have a pop is never a bad thing.

The only negative from last night was the goal. Never realised at the time how poorly defended it was and just thought it was a cracking strike. 4 defenders around it and it goes to an Annan player isn't great. I hope it's just one of those thing and we aren't going be stuck with the dreaded "C" curse again. But to finish on a positive - Annan were on the front foot at 2-1. Nice to see us not crumble as per and instead go and get a 3rd.

A few decent loans and we might be ok next season :)

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

We have Todd in midfield and Gibson in defence/midfield,  how much experience do you want.  Granted their inclusion depends on form and avoiding injury but the same applies if you bring more experienced players in. I'm quite happy that we've moved mainly to a younger squad. 

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Pixalot, sunshine and a plastic pitch made it almost unwatchable for me tbh so I can't really comment on what went on on the far away side but from what I saw last night there were plenty of positives.

Was impressed by a few of the new boys and we look like we're going to be a quick side again this season. It was a good forward foot display at times where we took the game to Annan. I hope that's AJ's approach throughout the season.

If Gibson feels he has the legs I hope he's played further forward this season. A lot of positive attacks came through him. Some of Connolly's crosses were incredible and I was impressed with Roy's willingness to shoot from anywhere. In games where we're behind I expect he'll do this and receive some flack from the crowd but a striker not scared to have a pop is never a bad thing.

The only negative from last night was the goal. Never realised at the time how poorly defended it was and just thought it was a cracking strike. 4 defenders around it and it goes to an Annan player isn't great. I hope it's just one of those thing and we aren't going be stuck with the dreaded "C" curse again. But to finish on a positive - Annan were on the front foot at 2-1. Nice to see us not crumble as per and instead go and get a 3rd.

A few decent loans and we might be ok next season :)

Annan had a good 15 -  20 minute spell in the second half,  our midfield dropped right out of it and I got the feeling that they would score, which they did. We picked ourselves up after that and finished the game strongly. Great run from Gibson to set up Roy's second. 

A few decent loans and we might be ok next season default_smile.png

If a lot of positive moves came from Gibson in a defensive role, which it happened a lot last season why would you want to move him forward? He’s absolutely coasting it at full back, I see no reason to move him. I spend half my time watching wondering if he wishes he spent his whole career there.

Totally different game playing a bit further forward than having whole game Infront of him from full back.

And of note from comments about midfield falling out of it, they definitely did, our defence got a bit of a hard time when Dunn went off as well. But that young midfield had a lot of minutes in it for this stage of the season, and Joseph isn’t really naturally a CM either I don’t think.

If a lot of positive moves came from Gibson in a defensive role, which it happened a lot last season why would you want to move him forward? He’s absolutely coasting it at full back, I see no reason to move him. I spend half my time watching wondering if he wishes he spent his whole career there.

Totally different game playing a bit further forward than having whole game Infront of him from full back.

I didn't think he was FB last night tbh. It was more like WB. Again, I didn't have the best view of the game but for me it looked like East, Nditi and Dunn as a back 3 with Gibson at WB. I really can't recall who was at the other side but I didn't think it was a flat back 4.

Thought he looked more attack minded last night than he did for the most part of last season and a lot of our positive moves were coming through him.

I didn't think he was FB last night tbh. It was more like WB. Again, I didn't have the best view of the game but for me it looked like East, Nditi and Dunn as a back 3 with Gibson at WB. I really can't recall who was at the other side but I didn't think it was a flat back 4.

Thought he looked more attack minded last night than he did for the most part of last season and a lot of our positive moves were coming through him.

He was wing back last night, but I still think he does damage from right back, Dunfermline and dundee goals for instance.

Totally agree with steeplechat,he’s been no short of incredible on his return.

He was wing back last night, but I still think he does damage from right back, Dunfermline and dundee goals for instance.

Totally agree with steeplechat,he’s been no short of incredible on his return.
He was/is great at RB but I can't really say I remember him as a real source of attack last season. I'm sure he did chip in with some assists but I never came away thinking "Gibson's attacking performance was superb today". Whereas in an advanced role the other night he was heavily involved going forward and we looked dangerous every time he was on the ball. If he still has the legs to do what he did in his younger years then I'm all for him being played further forward.