The Queen of the South thread

If the squad is as it stands come Saturday afternoon (13 outfield players, 2 of whom are injured)  then AJ can only make one outfield change during the match.   The lack of signing activity could therefore be a cunning plan on AJ's behalf... he can continue with his "avoid making substitutions at all costs" philosophy simply by not having any subs to bring on 😉

Do we have a starting 11. Thoughts

We have 11 players, one fit centre half, one or two natural central midfielders. I’m still confident we’ll do business this week, if it was the week leading into the league I’d be more worried.

We have 11 players, one fit centre half, one or two natural central midfielders. I’m still confident we’ll do business this week, if it was the week leading into the league I’d be more worried.
Pretty much the reason why I'm not too bothered about our current squad. The reality is they're glorified friendlies just now. Of course the BoD and fans will want us to progress but given it's a full month before the season has historically started I can appreciate why we don't have a full squad in place by now.

3 hours ago, Manwithnoball said:

How the hell are we going to field a team with what we have signed of do far. We have one centre half.  Who is going to play in defence. What is AJ all about we are 4 days away from first game. We should have learned our lesson from last season. All the trialists that played are no longer training. 

We'll be waiting for the Euros to finish before picking up a couple of the stars.

We'll be waiting for the Euros to finish before picking up a couple of the stars.
Would be happy with our town's name sake signing from the Netherlands tbf. The romance of it all might tempt him.

Guest Flash
11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
12 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Pretty much the reason why I'm not too bothered about our current squad. The reality is they're glorified friendlies just now. Of course the BoD and fans will want us to progress but given it's a full month before the season has historically started I can appreciate why we don't have a full squad in place by now.

Given the excuse for our poor league form in the first part of last season was that the team took time to gel, would it not be better to get as much of the team as possible in place for the start of the League Cup? That’s four games of gelling before the league starts rather than after. Apart from loan players who might not be available yet, I think it would make sense to have as full a squad as possible in place for Saturday.

Not yet! There was an update round about this time last year with all the reserve players that had signed up. I see a few have featured like Dunn in pre season and certainly to begin with it looks as though they will be regular members of the squad. Perhaps some of the trialists that have been on the bench are players more geared towards the reserve team aswell. On a seperate note does anyone know if we are continuing with the match programme this season
Can see who played last night on the OS. Looks like Ryan Muir has signed from Livi.

Given the excuse for our poor league form in the first part of last season was that the team took time to gel, would it not be better to get as much of the team as possible in place for the start of the League Cup? That’s four games of gelling before the league starts rather than after. Apart from loan players who might not be available yet, I think it would make sense to have as full a squad as possible in place for Saturday.
That's where it's a 'tightrope' for us though. I expect AJ could quite easily get a squad together consisting of L1/L2 players who would jump at going FT. But then they would most likely be massively out of their depth (see the overwhelming opinion on Ally Roy). For him to get competitive Championship players he'll need to bide his time and see what the other clubs don't want.

It's not a dig at the club or AJ, it's the reality of our situation. It's obviously a bad thing overall but the good thing is AJ having to look further afield for players which IMO I much prefer.

Fitzpatrick wasn't (and never will be) good enough to start at Norwich, Maxwell was never getting ahead of their current LB and it was obvious why Robinson was loaned out!

I get your point but I still think a lot of clubs will be deciding what they want done with their players at this stage. I certainly don't blame AJ for not having us up to pace yet (RJC, you can bookmark that).

Duly bookmarked[emoji106][emoji106]

16 hours ago, Brother Grimm said:
On 06/07/2021 at 17:00, football maniac said:
Not yet! There was an update round about this time last year with all the reserve players that had signed up. I see a few have featured like Dunn in pre season and certainly to begin with it looks as though they will be regular members of the squad. Perhaps some of the trialists that have been on the bench are players more geared towards the reserve team aswell. On a seperate note does anyone know if we are continuing with the match programme this season

Can see who played last night on the OS. Looks like Ryan Muir has signed from Livi.

Who? I genuinely haven't a clue who he is

59 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

I’m sure his father played with Queens…

Yes his Dad was forward Graeme Muir, Ryan was a RB  at Rangers youths same time as a few of the players we had in on loan last season then went to Livi reserves last year I think. 

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Yes his Dad was forward Graeme Muir, Ryan was a RB  at Rangers youths same time as a few of the players we had in on loan last season then went to Livi reserves last year I think. 

He played around a dozen games for Gretna 2008 last season after Rangers released him in summer 2020.  Whether or not he was on loan from Livingston to Gretna I have no idea.