The Queen of the South thread

3 hours ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

No great loss. Hope he doesn't score a free kick in the League Cup. I wonder I'd he'll be doing those long throw-ins?

By the sound of things this cup game will be a classic. 90 minutes of McKay and McCabe launching throws into the box, with about 2 of those actually beating the first man.

By the sound of things this cup game will be a classic. 90 minutes of McKay and McCabe launching throws into the box, with about 2 of those actually beating the first man.

Giving our recurring ineptitude at defending high balls I’d imagine the much maligned McCabe’s long throws will prove to be a lethal weapon on this occasion.

On 11/06/2021 at 11:06, Steeplechat said:

Sounds encouraging. Can’t wait for the season to start

The one thing I'd say in Ally Roy's favour is that I think, given chances, he's a decent enough finisher. He scored three goals for us, but all three were really nicely taken.

Apart from that though I'm staggered he's back in the Championship. I wouldn't have been totally averse to us having him as a squad player - but that's from a fan of the team who finished ninth in League One and scored the lowest number of goals in the country.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The one thing I'd say in Ally Roy's favour is that I think, given chances, he's a decent enough finisher. He scored three goals for us, but all three were really nicely taken.

Apart from that though I'm staggered he's back in the Championship. I wouldn't have been totally averse to us having him as a squad player - but that's from a fan of the team who finished ninth in League One and scored the lowest number of goals in the country.

Ally Roy ticks all the boxes as a striker , his main issue is he has a heart the size of a pea,  

‪Before we get ready to start our Queens Trust 2021/22 membership drive we would like to say a very big THANK YOU to all of our Queens Trust members for your super support in 2020/21. 

Last year we smashed our membership record with a fantastic 317 members joining the Trust. It is only with your support that we can do the work that we do. So thank you all. 

Some of our members from last year are pictured here...‬

B533C4DE-601A-4C96-B3DF-FFE73A090EB8.jpeg

http://www.qosfc.com/news-5438

The lad is pure buzzing :)

IMG_1623515679.227155.jpg

Roy is a fairly uninspiring signing, but he is willing to play FT football for the modest wages that we can offer and we need a squad of around 20 bodies to get us through the season. Joseph, McGrory & East will similarly be on modest wages.
I presume Rhys McCabe signed for Airdrie because he is getting more money there (not sure if Airdrie are giving out FT contracts?) so it shows where we are in terms of finances.
I would imagine that if we were in for Holty then Thistle would have blown us out of the water in terms of wages. Depressing, but its where we are. AJ’s challenge once again will be to gel a team that is better than the sum of its parts. A tough challenge every year.

Roy is a fairly uninspiring signing, but he is willing to play FT football for the modest wages that we can offer and we need a squad of around 20 bodies to get us through the season. Joseph, McGrory & East will similarly be on modest wages.
I presume Rhys McCabe signed for Airdrie because he is getting more money there (not sure if p are giving out FT contracts?) so it shows where we are in terms of finances.
I would imagine that if we were in for Holty then Thistle would have blown us out of the water in terms of wages. Depressing, but its where we are. AJ’s challenge once again will be to gel a team that is better than the sum of its parts. A tough challenge every year.

That is the situation in a nutshell - our Manager has a huge challenge ahead of him to somehow
put together a squad that can keep us out of the danger zone. Your key phrase - “better than the sum of the parts” is absolutely correct. He did it last year but it is really depressing for him and the supporters to have such short term affinity with the players. An annual wholesale clear out is definitely not the way forward but when you have a shoestring budget it is hard to see this changing. The good performers can’t get away quickly enough, we discard the under performers, and the loan players return to their parent clubs. We keep the cheap young marginal performers in the hope that they can improve safe in the knowledge that if they fail to perform the wage outlay is not significant. The only thing that can realistically break this unwelcome cycle is a crop of really good local youngsters but I have seen nothing in recent years to suggest that we are anywhere near achieving that. Supporters of Arbroath must be loving their football - a nucleus of players who have been at the club for several years, supplemented by a few loan players and a few key signings. This equals a competitive squad that their supporters can really relate to. We have to somehow break this “annual clear out cycle” that we find ourselves in but i am not sure how we do it without incoming investment.

3 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

That is the situation in a nutshell - our Manager has a huge challenge ahead of him to somehow
put together a squad that can keep us out of the danger zone. Your key phrase - “better than the sum of the parts” is absolutely correct. He did it last year but it is really depressing for him and the supporters to have such short term affinity with the players. An annual wholesale clear out is definitely not the way forward but when you have a shoestring budget it is hard to see this changing. The good performers can’t get away quickly enough, we discard the under performers, and the loan players return to their parent clubs. We keep the cheap young marginal performers in the hope that they can improve safe in the knowledge that if they fail to perform the wage outlay is not significant. The only thing that can realistically break this unwelcome cycle is a crop of really good local youngsters but I have seen nothing in recent years to suggest that we are anywhere near achieving that. Supporters of Arbroath must be loving their football - a nucleus of players who have been at the club for several years, supplemented by a few loan players and a few key signings. This equals a competitive squad that their supporters can really relate to. We have to somehow break this “annual clear out cycle” that we find ourselves in but i am not sure how we do it without incoming investment.

That's a depressing way to look at it imo. The hope is we can unearth some outstanding players, actually gain promotion then we will be in a strong position to keep the good performers. Last season was interesting seeing guys like Obileye who we weren't aware of come up here and make a big impact and the more players we develop the better selling point the club has

Yes, spot on. We survived relegation last year and may do it again this year with a bit of luck, but we will eventually go down if we continue to use this model of assembling a completely new, cheap squad each year, irrespective of who the manager is.

That's a depressing way to look at it imo. The hope is we can unearth some outstanding players, actually gain promotion then we will be in a strong position to keep the good performers. Last season was interesting seeing guys like Obileye who we weren't aware of come up here and make a big impact and the more players we develop the better selling point the club has

It’s not impossible because Livvy did it against all the odds but they kept the nucleus of the squad that got them promotion from League 1. They had momentum, team spirit, continuity and a style of play that the players bought into.

Under AJ/McIntyre/Fowler we developed a real good core of strong performers- Dowie, Durnan, Higgy, Holt, Burns, McKenna, McShane,Carmichael, Lyle, Reilly. If we had faced normal Championship opposition with those players at our disposal there was a chance of getting promotion but with an annual clearout on the scale that we are now witnessing every season I just can’t see it but I would like nothing better than being proved wrong.

On 12/06/2021 at 15:24, JTulip said:

‪Before we get ready to start our Queens Trust 2021/22 membership drive we would like to say a very big THANK YOU to all of our Queens Trust members for your super support in 2020/21. 

Last year we smashed our membership record with a fantastic 317 members joining the Trust. It is only with your support that we can do the work that we do. So thank you all. 

Some of our members from last year are pictured here...‬

B533C4DE-601A-4C96-B3DF-FFE73A090EB8.jpeg

The guy bottom row second from the right, that's some impressive facial hair.