The Queen of the South thread

On 24/05/2021 at 08:40, DeeGeeOneHamer said:

The budget will be set around what the BoD think they'll get in terms of an average attendance on top of ST sales.  Sadly it still seems there is a large disconnect between the Dumfries public and their local professional team.  If the locals can be enticed back then the budget for players goes up.

Trouble is, that's a bit of a chicken and egg approach.

Absolutely.  This is the conundrum that the BoD have to deal with every season.  We generally only offer one year deals and so we're asking fans to buy season tickets to watch a squad of faceless players not knowing what sort of performance level they might be capable of.  If the fans knew that a decent core of decent talent was being retained each close season then it just might help the feel good factor and hence help season ticket sales.  But for that we would probably require a rich sugar daddy on the board to ensure we negotiated the close season safely.  Instead our BoD tries to keep the club on an even financial keel by being very risk averse ..... and in some ways its difficult to argue with that approach, especially in seasons which have/are being ravaged by the effects of the pandemic.  I really wish I could offer a solid, lucid and logical way out of this impasse but I don't have one.  If anyone else has suggestions feel free to chip in ..... 🙄

2 hours ago, DeeGeeOneHamer said:

Unless you are a diehard or an old football romantic then there is little to entice you to watch Queens at Palmerston Park.

I'm both I suppose with maybe a bit of eccentricity thrown in.  I must admit that the thought of travelling to some away games next season and beyond,  especially the likes of Inverness which I usually manage, isn't as appealing now if live  streaming is still going to be available. It would have to be something outwith my control to make me miss a home game though. 

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Always knew he'd be away,  still disappointing though.  Good luck to him anyway. 

What are your opinions on him.

Think he'll do well with us?? (pardon the pun).

45 minutes ago, santheman said:

No pace, can't finish, zero work rate...... really needs another season in the Championship..... so best move for all would be to loan him straight back to QOS....🙄

Edited by Otis Blue

47 minutes ago, santheman said:

Got just about everything in his locker,  fast,  direct,  good with the ball at his feet,  good out wide or more central.  Can score and assist. Not too sure about his attitude if things aren't going right though although there wasn't a massive problem with this at Palmerston.  He did tail off a bit near the end of the season. As others have said,  would be happy to see him back on loan sometime.