The Queen of the South thread

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

They don't but neither did we a couple of seasons ago and a player was signed. I can't for the life of me think of who it was. Part of me thinks Dobbie but I'm not 100% sure.

Are you maybe thinking of when Goss was signed when AJ was on furlough?

Guest Flash
7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, FrankReynolds said:

No, I'm sure we signed someone preseason before we had a manager in place. Possibly GN?

We signed 5 or 6 players in the 2016 close season before Skelton was appointed. He had been caretaker towards the end of the previous season. Dobbie signed in the August, though, after the League Cup group games. Naysmith joined in December the same year, so it definitely wasn’t him you’re thinking of.

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, FrankReynolds said:

No, I'm sure we signed someone preseason before we had a manager in place. Possibly GN?

Yep,  definitely at least two seasons or more ago.  I think there may have been more than one player signed when we were between managers. Might even have been as far back as pre Skelton's term. 

Edit again,  Flash just posted much the same above. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

Glad to see Dom signing up. I was always speaking to him going thru the turnstiles as he progressed thru the youth system when at Palmerston on matchdays.

Hopefully this will be a catalyst for a few more apprenticeship signings.

Edited by TERREGLES1919
Typo

Glad to see Dom signing up. I was always speaking to him going thru the turnstiles as he progressed thru the youth system when at Palmerston on matchdays.
Hopefully this will be a catalyst for a free more apprenticeship signings.
"Free" apprenticeships not far from the truth.

"Free" apprenticeships not far from the truth.
He's 20 no way should we be paying him an apprenticeship wage, that programme is a disgrace IMO. Shouldn't have them in FT, should allow them to work and study round about it as they please rather than may happen to Dom next year at 21 get released into the wild.

He's 20 no way should we be paying him an apprenticeship wage, that programme is a disgrace IMO. Shouldn't have them in FT, should allow them to work and study round about it as they please rather than may happen to Dom next year at 21 get released into the wild.
I'm not sure how it's even legal tbh. I'm sure there is some kind of loophole in place.

Record apparently reporting Pybus, Buchanan, Nortei, McKee, Goss and Sylla are away.

It's a big fat Alan Partridge shoulder shrug from me. Buchanan was slightly less shit when Breen came in but happy he won't be back (sure he already said his farewells anyway?). Goss has looked out his depth really. Nortei and McKee seem to have spent more time in the treatment room which we can't afford with a small squad and IMO they aren't worth that risk when they are fit. McKee bossed a game against Alloa but other than that was pretty 'meh'. Nortei looked good in spells but another injury struck season isn't worth the risk. Can't comment on Sylla. I've made my feelings known about Pybus so no need to comment. I look forward to being proven wrong*.

* Not going to happen in this instance 8)

I agree with all of this. Well, I'm more of a fan of Pybus than you, won't be hard [emoji23], but it's not a hill I'm going to die on.

Record apparently reporting Pybus, Buchanan, Nortei, McKee, Goss and Sylla are away.

It's a big fat Alan Partridge shoulder shrug from me. Buchanan was slightly less shit when Breen came in but happy he won't be back (sure he already said his farewells anyway?). Goss has looked out his depth really. Nortei and McKee seem to have spent more time in the treatment room which we can't afford with a small squad and IMO they aren't worth that risk when they are fit. McKee bossed a game against Alloa but other than that was pretty 'meh'. Nortei looked good in spells but another injury struck season isn't worth the risk. Can't comment on Sylla. I've made my feelings known about Pybus so no need to comment. I look forward to being proven wrong*.

* Not going to happen in this instance default_cool.png

7 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

That’s Killie finished in the relegation play off places then. Really hope Dundee go up as Killie away is an exciting thought. We may travel by the railway line...

Yeah, would be great, Killie's only 20 miles from me now (and Hamilton 7 miles).

Rugby Park was my first ever away match, Scottish Cup, 1973, lost 2-1. Wee Ronnie Hamilton (ex Killie) equalised for Queens with 10 minutes left but Killie went straight up the other end and won it. Rugby Park had that strange quadrant shaped Johnnie Walker covered terrace behind one goal then.

9 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Yeah, would be great, Killie's only 20 miles from me now (and Hamilton 7 miles).

Rugby Park was my first ever away match, Scottish Cup, 1973, lost 2-1. Wee Ronnie Hamilton (ex Killie) equalised for Queens with 10 minutes left but Killie went straight up the other end and won it. Rugby Park had that strange quadrant shaped Johnnie Walker covered terrace behind one goal then.

Alex Totten played for Queens around that time, going on to be Killie manager in the Nineties. 

Would be a good Championship next season with Ayr, Killie and Queens all in there.

The old Johnnie Walker end is now the Moffat Stand and Rugby Park switched their away ends around when the new Rugby Park was built.

I worked at Killie on match days from 1990 til 2010, reading the turnstiles before and after the games. Was there two seasons with the old Rugby Park and they had large jail type keys for opening the turnstile doors.

Last match was a 1-0 win over Rangers when Tom Black scored a free kick and the likes of Mark Hateley was playing for Rangers. 

11 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I was there that day, sitting with relatives amongst the Killie support. Who all reckoned Queens deserved at least a draw. Ronnie Hamilton was a good player, I think he preferred part-time with us because he was a head teacher or similar? Not the only time I’ve experienced exhilaration followed swiftly by despair at a Queens game.....