The Queen of the South thread

Surprised Goss was offered anything given his lack of game time. If he's thinking about going PT and doing plastering then the boy clearly has his head screwed on and thinking about the big picture. It may well be the best choice as I don't think he'll be a regular at a level as high as this.

The situation in regards to our squad for me is that I won't be gutted to see anyone leave apart from Gibson (if he feels he has another year in him). Shields will obviously go so it won't come as devastating news. There are players within the squad I'd be happy enough to see stay of course but I won't lose sleep about any of them leaving. Another big rebuild job for AJ but that was always what he was signing up to. I'm happy enough to roll the dice with another new squad than keep the entirety of this one.

11 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Seriously.... 

No. 

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No, I wouldn't think so.

Correct, although sadly he's the level  of player we can now look to attract. 

3 hours ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

Goss refused a new one year deal. May sign for Annan part time and return to work as a plasterer

Buchanan Pybus McKee away

Shields attracting interest from Killie and St Johnstone 

Obileye signs 2 year deal with Livingston with a further one year option

Joseph offered a new contract 

Gibson unsettled

Its surprising if true that Gibson is unsettled! If there was one player youd think would be a shoe in to stay it would be him. He has had an excellent season playing for his local club. 

Its surprising if true that Gibson is unsettled! If there was one player youd think would be a shoe in to stay it would be him. He has had an excellent season playing for his local club. 
It was a shoe in Dobbie was going to end his playing days with us and he's leaving so it wouldn't surprise me if Gibson was unsettled. Hopefully he has another year in him.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, football maniac said:

Maybe they want him to be reserve team coach as well as player and he wants to concentrate on playing for one more season. When he signed as a player last year, he maybe didn’t think he would feature as much plus there were no reserve games (as far as I know). Having seen that he can still compete at this level, he possibly wants to play another season and figures he can’t do that and be reserve team coach as well.

If it is true that Gibson is unhappy, considering his association with the club, then I would suggest that is perhaps more to do with the fact that the management team have new contracts and he doesn't fancy working with them. It's also a fact that Dobbie's announcement that he was leaving came around the same time as AJ and SC's contracts were extended. I know some will applaud the manager for building a new team every year, and on a restricted budget, but unless he's very lucky (or good) we're in for another season trying to avoid the bottom two places.

56 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

If it is true that Gibson is unhappy, considering his association with the club, then I would suggest that is perhaps more to do with the fact that the management team have new contracts and he doesn't fancy working with them. It's also a fact that Dobbie's announcement that he was leaving came around the same time as AJ and SC's contracts were extended. I know some will applaud the manager for building a new team every year, and on a restricted budget, but unless he's very lucky (or good) we're in for another season trying to avoid the bottom two places.

At some point we have to cut free from the heroes of yesterday.  With second tier status assured for another season why not now?  Maybe the shadow of Dobbie wasn't comaptible with what AJ and Clark want to do?  We don't know.

Is AJ the best man for the job?  That's something else we don't know, but a 2 year deal offers him and the club an element of stability and at least allows him to build his own squad.  There are no excuses now, there is no where to hide as he knows the budget and signed up for it.

Fingers crossed we have a 2021/22 that mirrored January 2021.

At some point we have to cut free from the heroes of yesterday.  With second tier status assured for another season why not now?  Maybe the shadow of Dobbie wasn't comaptible with what AJ and Clark want to do?  We don't know.
Is AJ the best man for the job?  That's something else we don't know, but a 2 year deal offers him and the club an element of stability and at least allows him to build his own squad.  There are no excuses now, there is no where to hide as he knows the budget and signed up for it.
Fingers crossed we have a 2021/22 that mirrored January 2021.

He built his own squad this season. I still don't believe that 2 year deals offer clubs like us stability. We know all too well that 2 year deals aren't worth the paper they're written on and we've even allowed players on one year deals to go. I think 2 year deals only offer stability to the person signing them, not their employer.

If rumours that players don't want to sign for next season are true it kind of kills this idea that players will join if they know the management are here long term. I've still yet to hear a sound argument for 2 year deals for us tbh. And I say 2 year deals in general, regardless of who the manager is.

ETA - I bet in the history of this site the words "2 year deals" have never appeared as often in one post.

It would be great if we could give players 1 year deals with us having the right to extend that at any time. Lots of the time players are scrambling for clubs and offers and doing this will ensure we are protected from losing our best assets for nothing, whilst protecting us from being lumbered with useless players for 2 years as we could choose not to extend. 

Personally I think a 1 year deal would have been more sensible but we are now looking at another Houdini style escape to avoid the bottom 2. It is almost certain that we will have a skeleton opening staff list and it is likely to be a total rebuild with incoming players having no affinity with the club. For any Manager to replicate what was achieved last year is a huge ask. This annual rebuild model is simply not sustainable but I can’t see any obvious way round it.

Willie Gibson was the best RB I saw in this league by far last season - he may just think that a promotion seeking rival might give him a “last hurrah” on better terms than we can offer him. If he performs at a similar level next season he could walk into any Champ team but losing him would be a huge blow and I hope it doesn’t happen.

It has been doing the rounds today that Gibson isnt happy.

Isn’t happy about what?
He’s at the tail end of his career playing for a club that have him a start in the game. Delighted if he stays given his performances this season but if he feels he can get more away from a club that gave him a deal in charge of the reserves and a playing contract at the end of a decent career then good luck to him. A little bit of loyalty wouldn’t go amiss though.

There have certainly been signs of the dislike for the management but had hoped the cracking spell in the middle had repaired it but obviously not.
Disappointing moving forward

40 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Isn’t happy about what?
He’s at the tail end of his career playing for a club that have him a start in the game. Delighted if he stays given his performances this season but if he feels he can get more away from a club that gave him a deal in charge of the reserves and a playing contract at the end of a decent career then good luck to him. A little bit of loyalty wouldn’t go amiss though.

Have Wullie or any other players been been offered a contract yet? 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Came here to ask the same. Or do we just by twitter and players saying bye. Some club comms would be nice.

As with every other summer, the club will announce when contracts are signed. We never announce players leaving at the end of their deals.