The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash
5 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

He was one of our better players this season, but I'm really not convinced that he's anything more than a decent championship player. Wish him all the best, and sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I'm not sure he'll be anything more than a bit part player for you.

Pretty much agree with this. I’m not that sure he is currently a good enough defender to be a CB or a good enough footballer to be a midfielder. 
He played 15 league games at CB and we conceded 34 goals, average of 2.27 per game.
He played 11.5 in midfield and we conceded 16 goals, average of 1.39 per game.
Obviously, the difference wasn't all down to him but I don’t know whether he was part of the problem in defence or not.

1 hour ago, DeeGeeOneHamer said:

So it's a total rebuild job, again.  I am hoping, not sure with what basis, that having AJ and Clark pinned down for 12 months will demonstrate some stability and perhaps make Palmerston park an attractive prospect for next season.

Palmerston is AJ is not.

3 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Hopefully he comes in and does well, I imagine he's our successor for Bartley and a fill in at CB. Bartley will need rest games this season so he'll get time to shine. We're also missing big physical crunching tackle type players this season so hopefully he can come fill that role

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Can't say I recall Obileye doing many crunching,  ball winning tackles,  I think he tries to read the game and intercept passes before it gets to the crunching tackle stage,  either that or opponents shit it when they see him coming,  he's a big unit,  not as mobile as Bartley I think. 

*barge into conversation to show bar graph nobody asked for, klaxon*

Spoiler

Oileye.thumb.png.04c1a7d54dbe1d0b6d3d32fee1c25ffa.png

Obileye similar, but different, to Bartley. Less aggressive at winning the ball back, but more effective at this level. Goal threat presumably from set plays? Livi probably need set play threats?

Season ended and still a championship team more than we could and probably hoped for at season start .
Quite a lot of fans on various sites thro out season were wanting Callum Semple back I have looked at a few sites and I can’t find that he was playing anywhere since he left queens ( maybe wrong ) I wonder if there is more than a football reason we never signed him.
Ps I would take the Callum Semple we had first time he was here not the second time

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

*barge into conversation to show bar graph nobody asked for, klaxon*

Hide contents

Oileye.thumb.png.04c1a7d54dbe1d0b6d3d32fee1c25ffa.png

Obileye similar, but different, to Bartley. Less aggressive at winning the ball back, but more effective at this level. Goal threat presumably from set plays? Livi probably need set play threats?

Yeah seems to fit well. We need someone alongside Guthrie for set pieces and Fitzwater is mince defensively. Looking forward to seeing him as I feel he could fit in pretty well. Fits the mantra of excelling at the level below in terms of signings

2 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Yeah seems to fit well. We need someone alongside Guthrie for set pieces and Fitzwater is mince defensively. Looking forward to seeing him as I feel he could fit in pretty well. Fits the mantra of excelling at the level below in terms of signings

I'm not convinced that he excelled here.

Mind you, neither did Dykes.

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not convinced that he excelled here.

Mind you, neither did Dykes.

dykes was a very good player for us, surely anyone who watched half time dobbie goals on Friday night would have seen how much of a impact Dykes was in the majority of the goals.

A player who fans didnt really take too because off field matters

31 minutes ago, the tactician said:

anyone who watched half time dobbie goals on Friday night would have seen how much of a impact Dykes was in the majority of the goals.

This dimension gets wildly overstated in my view.

On 05/05/2021 at 03:07, sidofthesouth said:

I think Breen would be a decent signing for us if he’s available. I think Mark Durnan has come to the end of his Falkirk contract, so might be a decent central defensive partner for Breen.

Good God, if you know enough that Durnan is out of contract at Falkirk, then you should have seen his display versus Partick. It just summed up two seasons at Falkirk, a don’t give a shite attitude and an unwillingness to exert himself. When he was willing to put forth effort, he was an “acceptable” CB for a weak League One team...good luck.