The Queen of the South thread

I'll be astonished if Dobbie goes to Partick, time has caught up with him at Championship level I'm afraid. I wonder if he would have stayed if we had been relegated? Probably could still score a barrowload at a lower Scottish level. We won't see his like for a few years again.

2 minutes ago, JessieField said:

I'll be astonished if Dobbie goes to Partick, time has caught up with him at Championship level I'm afraid. I wonder if he would have stayed if we had been relegated? Probably could still score a barrowload at a lower Scottish level. We won't see his like for a few years again.

How low a level exactly? 

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

How low a level exactly? 

It wouldn’t surprise me  if he ended up at somebody like Queens Park. They would be able to afford him.

For what it’s worth,  I reckon Morton will win the play offs, so I can’t see them being interested in him next season.

That said, I would  have kept him at Queens for another season. He is an absolute legend

15 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

It wouldn’t surprise me  if he ended up at somebody like Queens Park. They would be able to afford him.

For what it’s worth,  I reckon Morton will win the play offs, so I can’t see them being interested in him next season.

That said, I would  have kept him at Queens for another season. He is an absolute legend

True, although it might hinge on whether he is interested in a coaching role or similar backroom position alongside playing. Plus he hasn't actually played for Morton yet so doesn't meet Ray 'King Snake' McKinnon's essential must-sign criteria for any mercenary outfit he assembles.

Putting your hopes on Dobbie for the past couple of seasons was an exercise in diminishing returns. Considering that we have been running with Gary Oliver as by some distance the most prolific striker in our current squad though, we could do a lot worse than just telling Dobbie to hang around the 18 yard box all day in the seaside leagues. Such as giving any of our current centre forwards a new contract. 

Edited by vikingTON

If he goes to Partick he'll score goals as McCall knows how to get the best out of him. It's one thing hearing the "he's past it" calls from opposition fans but when our own fans think Dobbie's downturn in form is due to age it makes me wonder if they've been paying attention to him throughout his career. Again - he would've been completely ineffective in AJ's system even in his prime.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

If he goes to Partick he'll score goals as McCall knows how to get the best out of him. It's one thing hearing the "he's past it" calls from opposition fans but when our own fans think Dobbie's downturn in form is due to age it makes me wonder if they've been paying attention to him throughout his career. Again - he would've been completely ineffective in AJ's system even in his prime.

There's more to being past it than that though. He said it himself in his interview after the game that he's had a few different injuries this year caused by nothing in particular, that's every bit as much a sign of being past it. Could he still be effective in a system built around him? Absolutely yes. Does it make sense to build that system for a player who is going to spend more and more time out injured? Less so.

I love the man, and I'm gutted that he has played his last game for the club, but ultimately I think he's made the right decision.

There's more to being past it than that though. He said it himself in his interview after the game that he's had a few different injuries this year caused by nothing in particular, that's every bit as much a sign of being past it. Could he still be effective in a system built around him? Absolutely yes. Does it make sense to build that system for a player who is going to spend more and more time out injured? Less so.
I love the man, and I'm gutted that he has played his last game for the club, but ultimately I think he's made the right decision.
If he's retired, I agree. If he goes elsewhere I expect he'll rattle a couple past us next season.

Yet again AJ’s fault no surprise there. I am intrigued to know exactly what this rigid system is? He started out with a 4-2-3-1 (which incidentally is the self same formation that GN deployed for most of his tenure. Ravaged by injuries he had no option but to experiment with other permutations and basically pick teams based on “ the last man standing principle”. At various times he has played 4-1-3-2, 4-4-2, 3-5-2 and 4-1-4-1. Dobbie started as the 1 up top, he has been the No 10 on a few occasions (the role that Brendan Rodgers said was his best position) and he has played in a 2 up top with Shields on a few occasions. So the big question is what exactly should the Manager have done to get the best out of Dobbs? Bear in mind that there was a time where Shields and Dobbie were both out injured and ironically we got some of our best and most unexpected results with both out.

Is the sad reality of the situation not that this has just been one season too many for the great man. The Dundee game was a case in point - playing alongside a big target man in Goss he twisted and turned and had about 4/5 shooting opportunities but on each occasion the defenders got back to block the shots or take take the sting out of them. That infamous “Dobbie half yard” was just not there this season. Whatever way you cut it - for Dobbie not to score a single League goal from open play in a team that was scoring goals (also conceding many) is surely a little more than an AJ system failure? I am as gutted as anybody that his time with Queens is up but nobody can go on for ever.

Yet again AJ’s fault no surprise there. I am intrigued to know exactly what this rigid system is? He started out with a 4-2-3-1 (which incidentally is the self same formation that GN deployed for most of his tenure. Ravaged by injuries he had no option but to experiment with other permutations and basically pick teams based on “ the last man standing principle”. At various times he has played 4-1-3-2, 4-4-2, 3-5-2 and 4-1-4-1. Dobbie started as the 1 up top, he has been the No 10 on a few occasions (the role that Brendan Rodgers said was his best position) and he has played in a 2 up top with Shields on a few occasions. So the big question is what exactly should the Manager have done to get the best out of Dobbs? Bear in mind that there was a time where Shields and Dobbie were both out injured and ironically we got some of our best and most unexpected results with both out.

Is the sad reality of the situation not that this has just been one season too many for the great man. The Dundee game was a case in point - playing alongside a big target man in Goss he twisted and turned and had about 4/5 shooting opportunities but on each occasion the defenders got back to block the shots or take take the sting out of them. That infamous “Dobbie half yard” was just not there this season. Whatever way you cut it - for Dobbie not to score a single League goal from open play in a team that was scoring goals (also conceding many) is surely a little more than an AJ system failure? I am as gutted as anybody that his time with Queens is up but nobody can go on for ever.

For the love of god. When I say the system doesn't suit, it's a fact, regardless of who the manager is. I've already given AJ due praise in my post a few pages back. The system he played worked for us. He got us safe. He got the best out of a younger, arguably fitter, Shields. There was even times during the season pre-match where I said "Hopefully Dobbie start". If I was saying "AJ should have played a system to suit Dobbie and we'd have been Top 4!!" then I could see the point of your speel. But I'm pointing out that AJ plays a system that doesn't suit Dobbie and it's no surprise he is looking elsewhere if he's going to have another season as a bit part player because he is ineffective in the one we'll likely go with next season. Just because I say the system doesn't suit Dobbie (again, it clearly doesn't) doesn't mean I'm using it as a rod to beat AJ with. It's more to defend Dobbie against the "past it" shouts.

We could go on and on about what constitutes past it but if he signs for a side in this division next season I think we'll see if he is or isn't.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

For the love of god. When I say the system doesn't suit, it's a fact, regardless of who the manager is. I've already given AJ due praise in my post a few pages back. The system he played worked for us. He got us safe. He got the best out of a younger, arguably fitter, Shields. There was even times during the season pre-match where I said "Hopefully Dobbie start". If I was saying "AJ should have played a system to suit Dobbie and we'd have been Top 4!!" then I could see the point of your speel. But I'm pointing out that AJ plays a system that doesn't suit Dobbie and it's no surprise he is looking elsewhere if he's going to have another season as a bit part player because he is ineffective in the one we'll likely go with next season. Just because I say the system doesn't suit Dobbie (again, it clearly doesn't) doesn't mean I'm using it as a rod to beat AJ with. It's more to defend Dobbie against the "past it" shouts.

We could go on and on about what constitutes past it but if he signs for a side in this division next season I think we'll see if he is or isn't.

Out of curiosity, what system do you think would have brought the best out off Dobbie this season? 

Edited by FrankReynolds

Out of curiosity, what system do you think would have brought the best out off Dobbie this season? 
I'm sure we all know what's been the most affective style for Dobbie. You don't need me to tell you what it is.

ETA - Our system this season, although eye-bleedingly bad for large chunks, got the job done. That's the most important thing. AJ implemented a system that suited the players he brought in and it was successful. Unfortunately it didn't (and never would have) suited Dobbie and he's rightly moved on. I think he still has something to offer at this level and wouldn't be surprised to see him rock up at another club (though I really hope he doesn't). But like I say, it's not a dig at AJ, but it's fair to say his system didn't suit Dobbie.

Where is the best summary of QOS player stats this season? I like to see the number of games played, by competition, goals, minutes played, reds/yellows. 
Also, what happened to McGrory, I thought he had a decent spell in the middle of the season, then he dropped off the radar? Did I miss an injury? 
I  was looking back over the season and I only missed 3 games, I saw far more games than I would in a ‘normal’ season. Not sure what it did to my mental health....

Where is the best summary of QOS player stats this season? I like to see the number of games played, by competition, goals, minutes played, reds/yellows. 
Also, what happened to McGrory, I thought he had a decent spell in the middle of the season, then he dropped off the radar? Did I miss an injury? 
I  was looking back over the season and I only missed 3 games, I saw far more games than I would in a ‘normal’ season. Not sure what it did to my mental health....

Can only think he had an injury, always quietly impressed by him

1 hour ago, football maniac said:

Think him, East and Joseph were useful young squad players who all contributed. Would keep them all next season and hopefully they kick on. 

Yeh I agree they’re useful to have around and cheap options you’d imagine. Had high hopes for Joe McKee but not impressed and injured a lot. Rhys McCabe doesn’t do it for me either I’m afraid. 

James Maxwell tweeting his best wishes to Queens as he heads back to Rangers. Definitely be keen to see him return for another year.
Would love to see him back. Think he's quite a bit away from becoming a regular at Ibrox so hopefully we're in with a shout given we played him so much. Though from a Rangers point of view they might want him to play at a higher level next season. I'm sure AJ will have been in touch anyway. Here's hoping.