The Queen of the South thread

39 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Absolutely gutted he won't get the send off he deserves. No mention of actually retiring which makes me think the rumours of him joining Thistle could be true.

I fully expect him to still score next season, especially if it's for McCall who'll have the sense to play a system that suits him and not hinder him like the AJ system.

It's not just down to system.

He has never been the same since injuring himself after scoring against Partick.

He has had plenty of scoring opportunities since but just doesn't seem able to produce what he used to.  I suspect his injury may have impacted and limited his usual technique maybe even subconsciously.

Happens to every player as age catches up.

Perhaps he has reached the ' done'  stage that many said Derek Lyle had reached.

Del , of course., has managed an extra few years and goals at Peterhead as I thought he would.  Recently though he has highlighted it is becoming more difficult to shake off niggles.

I wish Dobbie all the best and if he continues playing I hope he can still find the net on occasion.

It's not just down to system.
He has never been the same since injuring himself after scoring against Partick.
He has had plenty of scoring opportunities since but just doesn't seem able to produce what he used to.  I suspect his injury may have impacted and limited his usual technique maybe even subconsciously.
Happens to every player as age catches up.
Perhaps he has reached the ' done'  stage that many said Derek Lyle had reached.
Del , of course., has managed an extra few years and goals at Peterhead as I thought he would.  Recently though he has highlighted it is becoming more difficult to shake off niggles.
I wish Dobbie all the best and if he continues playing I hope he can still find the net on occasion.
He's been playing in AJ's system for the past two seasons. A system he wouldn't have been successful in even in his prime. It's 95% the system and 5% age.

If he signs for Thistle I'm calling it now that he'll reach double figures comfortably.

Stephen Dobbie's value to Queens is not only as a player but as a coach and mentor to some of our younger players. Having him around the club, even when not playing, was a major plus. So sorry his time with us is over but, like many others on here, just so happy I witnessed him at his best. A really top player and nice person who made time for the fans, especially our younger ones.

It’s been a privilege to watch him. You have to credit him for sticking with us even when we didn’t have the team to support him. Feels a bit unlikely he would join another Scottish club given his commute from home. Would have thought he could find something nearer home. Agree it would be nice to have a testimonial of some sort.

It’s been a privilege to watch him. You have to credit him for sticking with us even when we didn’t have the team to support him. Feels a bit unlikely he would join another Scottish club given his commute from home. Would have thought he could find something nearer home. Agree it would be nice to have a testimonial of some sort.

I hope he finds a coaching role at Fleetwood or something but I'm not sure joining Thistle would make life anymore difficult to how he has been doing it the last few seasons. He felt he owed us something on returning so he maybe has the mindset that he owes McCall something as well. It's the only other club I can see him joining up here.

Watch him rock up at Hamilton or something now [emoji38]

A very sad day for everybody associated with the Club especially the supporters. What a tremendous player and a great guy as well. Usually when a striker scores the number of goals that Dobbs has done most of them will be short range tap ins ........Stephen very rarely scored tap ins. Invariably his goals involved selling a dummy or a nutmeg followed by that lovely crisp striking action that left keepers floundering. That in itself makes his scoring record all the more incredible.He unquestionably leaves a huge void at the club. Such a pity that despite his brilliance we were unable to mount a serious play off push for promotion. We should really have done so when we had Dykes alongside him but that is another story. Many thanks for the memories and good luck for the future.

No footballer has ever meant more to me, or many of us, I'd imagine. 

It's not just that he was so good.

It's not just that he scored so many goals.

It's not just that he was the sort of player we'd all like to be.

It's that he chose to play for us when he really could have been elsewhere.

Part of me wouldn't mind if he played on for Thistle or someone.  At least that way, we could sing his name and offer thanks as a support, even if his shirt was the wrong colour.

Failing that, if he's officially retired, the club needs to make him a guest for one of the first games when we're back, so there's a chance to show appreciation.

Thanks for everything Stephen.  I've loved you more than is seemly.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No footballer has ever meant more to me, or many of us, I'd imagine. 

It's not just that he was so good.

It's not just that he scored so many goals.

It's not just that he was the sort of player we'd all like to be.

It's that he chose to play for us when he really could have been elsewhere.

Part of me wouldn't mind if he played on for Thistle or someone.  At least that way, we could sing his name and offer thanks as a support, even if his shirt was the wrong colour.

Failing that, if he's officially retired, the club needs to make him a guest for one of the first games when we're back, so there's a chance to show appreciation.

Thanks for everything Stephen.  I've loved you more than is seemly.

A sad day for all Queens fans, but not altogether unexpected. Think time was starting to catch up.  

He was the sort of player we would all like to have been.  I find it humbling that a player of his abilities chose to play for us when he could easily have still been playing at a higher level  A gentleman off the pitch as well.

The best player I'm ever likely to see in a Queens shirt.  End of an era but we still have the memories, no one can take them away from us.

An absolute legend and the best player I have ever seen in a Queens shirt. He has given us fans a lot of happy memories. 

Friday will be the end of an era. Hopefully he will sign off with a goal or three. 

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Absolutely gutted he won't get the send off he deserves. No mention of actually retiring which makes me think the rumours of him joining Thistle could be true.

I fully expect him to still score next season, especially if it's for McCall who'll have the sense to play a system that suits him and not hinder him like the AJ system.

100% agree that this will be the kind of send off he certainly doesn’t deserve. Honestly, I can’t see Partick, as they would be playing Queens four times unless they really shit the bed, Falkirk style. Perhaps something interesting like Alloa, with a coaching role, or Queens Park?

A truly magnificent player and magnificent representative for the club.

Without a doubt the best and most gifted player I ever witnessed playing for the club I love.  

Who would have thought when he first signed in January 2007 that we would be lamenting his departure now in 2021?   When he arrived we were in a desperate position, bottom of the league and relegation certainties.  Many fans (myself included) felt we had signed a lazy, overweight player blessed with plenty of talent but lacking in application.  The sort of player whose career fizzles out before he reaches thirty.

How wrong  we were.   Dobbie's professionalism and dedication to the club have been inspirational.  When he left for Swansea, he promised the supporters he would return.  The fact that he did, probably while still having a good couple of seasons at a high level of English football ahead of him, and was happy to travel to and from his home on the Fylde to train and play for the club he loves speaks volumes for the man.

A fantastic footballer, a true gent and a great ambassador for Queen of the South Football Club.

I wonder if, when the time is right, Swansea or Blackpool could be tempted to Palmerston for a testimonial?

Could easily make a film out his rags to riches, then back to rags, story, tbh.

Sadly "Run, fatboy, run" is already taken as a title 👀

In all seriousness, to Saints fans hes "one who got away", and returning to QOS when he did was proper boyhood dream stuff where you're determined to end it at the club you love. Be a shame if he leaves and plays against you next season.