The Queen of the South thread

13 minutes ago, Mr X said:

You dont see any connection between trying to improve the squad continuity each season and giving the manager a longer contract?

No, I don't think a player is much more or less likely to sign a two year contract because the manager has.  That's what I said.

For one thing, players would need to be offered two year contracts.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Guest Flash
6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

You dont see any connection between trying to improve the squad continuity each season and giving the manager a longer contract?

If there is a connection, why did we not see it 4 years ago with Naysmith? Or 2 years ago with Johnston?
Even if you are right, it could only happen at the start of the 2 year deal. So, if it didn’t happen with Naysmith in 2017, by the time of the 2018 close season, he only had a year left, so it couldn’t happen then. Same with Johnston. It had to happen in 2019 and couldn’t happen in 2020 when he only had a year left. And it has to happen this close season because he will only have a year left in 2022.
It also means no player would sign long term for a club where the manager had a one year rolling contract because they only ever have a maximum certainty of a year in the signing window.

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No, I don't think a player is much more or less likely to sign a two year contract because the manager has.  That's what I said.

For one thing, players would need to be offered two year contracts.

I didnt realise you were so intimately familiar with the clubs contract negotiations

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

If there is a connection, why did we not see it 4 years ago with Naysmith? Or 2 years ago with Johnston?
Even if you are right, it could only happen at the start of the 2 year deal. So, if it didn’t happen with Naysmith in 2017, by the time of the 2018 close season, he only had a year left, so it couldn’t happen then. Same with Johnston. It had to happen in 2019 and couldn’t happen in 2020 when he only had a year left. And it has to happen this close season because he will only have a year left in 2022.
It also means no player would sign long term for a club where the manager had a one year rolling contract because they only ever have a maximum certainty of a year in the signing window.

Because, as Ive said several times, its not a silver bullet thats going to magically make players sign longer contracts.

I watched the 2008 Scottish Cup Final on BBC Scotland last night and was left with a feeling of frustration, anger and sadness. Nothing really to do with the result but the fight that the Queens team showed in that game,  and the semi-final, is sadly lacking in the current squad's/management approach to our fight to secure a promotion play-off place. Of course we don't have the quality of player we had back then, and that's another annoying thing,  that period should have been a catalyst to better things and a platform to steady season on season improvement with the aim of building something solid to achieve promotion.  Instead we are now having to build new squads each season,  we've gone through umpteen different Managers and now find ourselves usually candidates for relegation.  Yes,  we've had a couple of decent seasons making the top 4,  and with some decent competition in the division it has to be said,   but overall its been a period of increasing stagnation and there little sign of that trend reversing.  Sad really. 

As for vague speculation linking Dobbie and Partick Thistle,  or any other team for that matter,  I'm rather leaning to the view that it would be better if he did move on,  I'd rather remember him as a pivotal part of the Queens team,  on top of his game,   than have him being kept on simply as a bit part player.  He deserves better than that. 

Guest Flash
12 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I didnt realise you were so intimately familiar with the clubs contract negotiations

Because, as Ive said several times, its not a silver bullet thats going to magically make players sign longer contracts.

You haven’t said that several times. What you have said more than once is that it isn’t going to happen overnight and that we will have to wait and see. Which suggests that it will happen over time. That is why I asked why it hasn’t happened over the course of the last 4 years. 
Anyway, going to leave it there. 

With 5 games to go we had a huge opportunity to get ourselves a play off slot. Managers and Players come and go at Palmerston but invariably when we have to really deliver at the “business end” of the season the end result is all too familiar. The last thing we want is to go into the Dundee match needing a result to avoid 9th. It would be a very sad ending to the season relying on other results going our way because I am not confident that this group will be masters of their own destiny.

To be fair we have had a strong squad to pick from last few weeks but our big players simply haven’t performed and have gone AWOL at the crucial time. Gibson certainly doesn’t fall into that category - he has been outstanding and our POY by a distance.

With 5 games to go we had a huge opportunity to get ourselves a play off slot. Managers and Players come and go at Palmerston but invariably when we have to really deliver at the “business end” of the season the end result is all too familiar. The last thing we want is to go into the Dundee match needing a result to avoid 9th. It would be a very sad ending to the season relying on other results going our way because I am not confident that this group will be masters of their own destiny.

To be fair we have had a strong squad to pick from last few weeks but our big players simply haven’t performed and have gone AWOL at the crucial time. Gibson certainly doesn’t fall into that category - he has been outstanding and our POY by a distance.

Totally agree with this, Shields and Ayo have disappeared. Shields getting bullied too easily by centre halfs for me, Ayo just isn’t a centre mid. Jones doesn’t look 100% fit, Dapo flatters for deceive. Defending our left hand side is definitely a weakness, and teams have exploited it in last 2/3 games. Personally I’d bring in East again, we seemed to have a better balance then.

The maths is pretty straightforward now. Without relying on other results, we need to avoid defeat at Somersert Park next week. We may already have enough points but our goal difference gives me the fear. I don't want to be going into the last game of the season against Dundee needing anything.

Guest Flash

Imo 4th was never on the cards because we concede far too many goals. After a short period of improvement (when we had loads of injuries) it is back to where it was - so easy to score against. The goals against column is one befitting a 9th placed team, not 4th. The main reason we were in with a chance of 4th was because we outscored some teams. Now the goals have dried up, the results are going back to where they were in the first third.

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Imo 4th was never on the cards because we concede far too many goals. After a short period of improvement (when we had loads of injuries) it is back to where it was - so easy to score against. The goals against column is one befitting a 9th placed team, not 4th. The main reason we were in with a chance of 4th was because we outscored some teams. Now the goals have dried up, the results are going back to where they were in the first third.

Yes, the real difference is that we're no longer scoring as freely as we were for a spell.

Can anybody explain to me what Euan East has done to AJ he played almost every minute of the teams good run and all of a sudden he is dropped and has hardly ever featured and the team struggles coincidence or not this looks like another good young signed Queens player that looked a good prospect hung out to dry by the manager...... Get him back in next Sat... 

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Can anybody explain to me what Euan East has done to AJ he played almost every minute of the teams good run and all of a sudden he is dropped and has hardly ever featured and the team struggles coincidence or not this looks like another good young signed Queens player that looked a good prospect hung out to dry by the manager...... Get him back in next Sat... 

I'm also baffled by East's exclusion recently, especially after scoring a good goal at Palmerston in one of his most recent games.

My other annoying bugbear just now was how the Queens commentators at QOSTV (Bruce McKenzie and Finlay Jack) kept harping in about Queens going for a Top Four place in the Premiership Play-Offs when they hadn't bothered glancing towards the relegation play-off spot in 9th?

I'm sure someone could guess the permutations of how the remaining fixtures may go, although I assume if Queens do win at Somerset next weekend against Ayr, they may well escape 9th spot mathematically, although as Morton still have 3 games remaining and Queens are only 5 points ahead of the Greenock club, you just never can tell what may happen.

So the Four teams in the relegation play-off mix:

Ayr play Queens (H) & Inverness (A)

Queens play Ayr (A) & Dundee (H)

Morton play Hearts (H), Alloa (H) & Arbroath (A) 

Arbroath play Dunfermline (A) & Morton (H)

Scoring goals is a problem with Maxwell top goal scorer in recent weeks - that says it all.

Shields isn't playing as a centre forward and does most of his work on the touch line or running wide with lack of support filling the void in the box.

What's happened to Dobbie? Is he not fit? Has AJ and him had a fall out? Thought he may have been player manager next season if he thought he had another season left but with AJ signig a 2 year contract he doesn't seem to be a a manager in the waiting