The Queen of the South thread

From what I saw we totally dominated the 2nd half.  We just weren't sharp enough around goal.  Dobbie is not what he was but unfortunate he was not available as he might have been able to find a chance late on.  It seemed to be non -strikers that were getting on the end of things  - oh for a Derek Lyle type striker in there .
Let it go [emoji38]

1 minute ago, Northfield 53 said:

Alan Johnston saying it was one of our best performances against Raith says it sets us up for the run in 

What game was he watching a real worry that AJ thinks that it must be why he never used any subs till the 80th min .

I don't often agree with your views but I also found it strange he thought that last night's  showing was one of our best performances of the season.  If he's happy with competing for 45 minutes in a game that we really needed something from,   then it's no wonder our top 4 hopes are fizzling out.  I was fairly undecided/not bothered if he was to be kept on next season but if that's his standard of an acceptable or one of our best  performances  then the sooner the season's done and he's emptied the better.  

We weren't by any means poor last night and given what we watched earlier in the season it was night and day. But in a game we needed to win how on earth can he think 1 shot on target (I thought it was 0 but checked. Did McCabe have a tame shot?) is one of the best performances of the season?

Frightening if he's content with last night tbh.

On the balance of play in the second half you could make a case for Queens deserving a point. 

Given that this Saturday is a must win for Queens in terms of the promotion playoffs, Johnston maybe felt that putting a positive spin on things would serve more purpose than going all John Hughes on them. 

We were disappointed at chucking a two goal lead at home to Arbroath on Saturday and McGlynn could well have ranted about unprofessionalism and game management etc, whereas his tone was more about big game at Palmerston on Tuesday, let's move on to that. 

On the balance of play in the second half you could make a case for Queens deserving a point. 
Given that this Saturday is a must win for Queens in terms of the promotion playoffs, Johnston maybe felt that putting a positive spin on things would serve more purpose than going all John Hughes on them. 
We were disappointed at chucking a two goal lead at home to Arbroath on Saturday and McGlynn could well have ranted about unprofessionalism and game management etc, whereas his tone was more about big game at Palmerston on Tuesday, let's move on to that. 
It's not the players he should have directed any criticism towards.

AJ's reluctance to use subs is becoming a major bugbear of mine.   As if waiting until the 80th minute to make a change to a team who weren't looking like scoring last night wasn't bad enough, he then decided to push Breen up as a spare striker when he still had the likes of East and McKee (both of whom are more natural finishers than Breen) on the bench and the opportunity to bring on a sub still available to him.  I'd hoped that he may have learned from the Arbroath game when he replaced Dickson with Dapo after 25 minutes and it helped turn 0-2 into 4-2, but obviously not.

Edited by Slipmat

28 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

AJ's reluctance to use subs is becoming a major bugbear of mine.   As if waiting until the 80th minute to make a change to a team who weren't looking like scoring last night wasn't bad enough, he then decided to push Breen up as a spare striker when he still had the likes of East and McKee (both of whom are more natural finishers than Breen) on the bench and the opportunity to bring on a sub still available to him.  I'd hoped that he may have learned from the Arbroath game when he replaced Dickson with Dapo after 25 minutes and it helped turn 0-2 into 4-2, but obviously not.

I would certainly have taken off one of the 3 CB's on the pitch & put a more attack minded player on... 

8 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Just realised the last league match is 2 weeks tonight on the Friday  night rather than saturday afternoon

I hate to break it to you that it's only Thursday.

If I'd thought it was Friday night, that news would be devastating for me.

17 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Just realised the last league match is 2 weeks tonight on the Friday  night rather than saturday afternoon

I'm sure all the Championship games are on the Friday night for some reason. 

Guest Flash
2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm sure all the Championship games are on the Friday night for some reason. 

At the risk of being whooshed, it is because one is being televised and it would be unfair for the teams who played on the Saturday to know what they had to do. They were originally all scheduled for 7.05 because that is when the BBC games were played last season. They were all moved to 7.45 because that is the normal time for live games this season.

57 minutes ago, stevie72 said:

Who would you keep for next year's squad as we will be going through major change again next season. Dobbie going. AJ staying???

Shields, Ayo, Wullie & Ferguson, but I doubt that the former two will be staying.  If we could somehow get Maxwell & Jones back on loan that would be excellent business.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pybus, East, Joseph & McGrory back given their ages and potential.

If Dobbie retires I sincerely hope he will be offered a coaching role.

AJ won't be going anywhere 😞

Edited by Slipmat

We are pleased to announce that the management team of Allan Johnston and Sandy Clark have signed a new contract. The two-year deal secures their future with the club until the summer of 2023.

Chairman, Billy Hewitson said “Since returning to the club, particularly since the turn of the year, they have shown what they can do. So, we are happy they have signed the new deal and they can now continue to focus on the remainder of the season and see where that takes us”.

The manager added “I am delighted to get it sorted. We still have three big games left of this season and they must be our focus for now as we want to try to get into the play-offs. We want to finish strongly so we can look forward and start planning for next year. Queens are a good club with big potential so I am happy to commit for another two years and hope to take the club as high as possible”.

FROM QOS OS 

Edited by ALOREBURNE

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

http://www.qosfc.com/news-5398

One year? Fair enough.

2 years ffs.

One of the most common, and probably justified, complaints is that we have to start from scratch building a new squad every year. Giving the manager a 2 year deal isnt going to solve that overnight but it must be a big help, Shirley?

One of the most common, and probably justified, complaints is that we have to start from scratch building a new squad every year. Giving the manager a 2 year deal isnt going to solve that overnight but it must be a big help, Shirley?
How will it help though? We could give him a 5 year contract and I'm not sure what difference it would make to the position we find ourselves in each year. If we had a cracking youth system that he could work on then maybe but even that doesn't produce much.

He deserves an extension given how he managed to rebuild us this season and somehow avoid relegation but if we don't have that success/luck with signings next season we'll he complaining that he had a 2 year deal.

14 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

How will it help though? We could give him a 5 year contract and I'm not sure what difference it would make to the position we find ourselves in each year. If we had a cracking youth system that he could work on then maybe but even that doesn't produce much.

He deserves an extension given how he managed to rebuild us this season and somehow avoid relegation but if we don't have that success/luck with signings next season we'll he complaining that he had a 2 year deal.

It makes a difference because when players agree to play for a manager, knowing that his position isn't immediately under that is a big factor in them committing for more than just the short term.

As an aside, if Johnston makes it to the end of this contract he'll have been in the job for 4 seasons plus the initial playoffs. Who was the last manager to be with us that long? I think Connolly was 4 years, which is as good as the same, I suppose. How further back is it for another?

21 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I hate to break it to you that it's only Thursday.

If I'd thought it was Friday night, that news would be devastating for me.

That what happens when you are off on a Friday - Thursday night becomes the new Friday night