The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that's possible.

But you wouldn't think Neilson's position is strong enough for him to embrace experimentation.  I think he'll want a strong finish. 

Crossing the line could either prompt players to ease off, or it might liberate them a bit to play with more freedom.  Plenty will want to impress enough to show they should be kept on for the top flight.

It's one of those unknowables that might have either effect, or even none.

Yep, its a guessing game - imagine trying to predict the outcome of the fitba? 😏

Not sure what the players' contract situations are at Hearts but surely those looking to secure a deal to play in the Premiership will still try to impress in the remaining games,  provided as was said earlier,  Neilson doesn't draft in some fringe/younger  players for some experience. 

I know we (sensible folk) all know our pitch is rotten but how has it become so awful to look at? I was watching highlights of our game against Rangers a few seasons back and it looked really good. I assume it's because it's being used but I can't recall every other plastic pitch looking quite as bad as ours. When the sun shines on it I quite often struggle to see the ball at the far away ends.

Is it a laying issue or a quality thing? Whatever it is I really hope we learn from it the next time.

I know we (sensible folk) all know our pitch is rotten but how has it become so awful to look at? I was watching highlights of our game against Rangers a few seasons back and it looked really good. I assume it's because it's being used but I can't recall every other plastic pitch looking quite as bad as ours. When the sun shines on it I quite often struggle to see the ball at the far away ends.

Is it a laying issue or a quality thing? Whatever it is I really hope we learn from it the next time.
Not convinced we take care of it correctly, I think it should be watered before every use and its not.

Then there's the question of what do we brush it with?

It would have been a huge win yesterday if we could have “got over the line” but it was also vital not to lose it as that would probably have been the end of our play off ambitions (certainly at the top end of the table).Our workmanlike approach built around Ayo’s holding role has been hugely successful but ironically more successful when we had a real shortage of selection options a few weeks back. We now have many options and it would be good if we could find a formula that enables us to play two up top and still retain a solid shape. Seeing Shields yesterday work tirelessly on scraps was a bit frustrating.We had to be fairly cautious yesterday but the Raith game is now really a “must win” and it might be the time to be just a little bolder in terms of selection to see if we can get all 3 points?

It would have been a huge win yesterday if we could have “got over the line” but it was also vital not to lose it as that would probably have been the end of our play off ambitions (certainly at the top end of the table).Our workmanlike approach built around Ayo’s holding role has been hugely successful but ironically more successful when we had a real shortage of selection options a few weeks back. We now have many options and it would be good if we could find a formula that enables us to play two up top and still retain a solid shape. Seeing Shields yesterday work tirelessly on scraps was a bit frustrating.We had to be fairly cautious yesterday but the Raith game is now really a “must win” and it might be the time to be just a little bolder in terms of selection to see if we can get all 3 points?

Playing Ayo in the holding role made sense yesterday to try combat Scott Allan in the 10 which worked for the majority of the game. I agree I’d like to see someone trying to get up nearer Shields.

Must go with a more attack minded team to win Tuesday nights game a change in the formation with 2 up top. 
I'm a big fan of a front 2 but I don't think it's a system we've played all season so wouldn't be for him changing it now.

It's not the first time I've read about us needing to be more attacking than we were against ICT. I'm not really sure what personnel changes make us more attacking. Dobbie in for a CM? It's getting the balance right. I still think we have CM's that are average at best but with an extra body in there they're better supported and better defensively. If you take out a defensive player in there we'd be far weaker through the centre.

The players who started weren't the issue on Saturday. Pointless long balls is what made us less threatening. Keep the ball down and we'll be more threatening.

3 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Playing Ayo in the holding role made sense yesterday to try combat Scott Allan in the 10 which worked for the majority of the game. I agree I’d like to see someone trying to get up nearer Shields.

This. Ayo brings a defensive stability to the midfield but he really isnt that great on the ball.

Hopefully Pybus is fit enough to start on Tuesday. Dickson did well in patches on Saturday but I think Pybus is better in that role and gets forward better.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

I'm a big fan of a front 2 but I don't think it's a system we've played all season so wouldn't be for him changing it now.

It's not the first time I've read about us needing to be more attacking than we were against ICT. I'm not really sure what personnel changes make us more attacking. Dobbie in for a CM? It's getting the balance right. I still think we have CM's that are average at best but with an extra body in there they're better supported and better defensively. If you take out a defensive player in there we'd be far weaker through the centre.

The players who started weren't the issue on Saturday. Pointless long balls is what made us less threatening. Keep the ball down and we'll be more threatening.

Arguably, we played a front two in the previous two games where we had a back three and both Dobbie and Shields in the team, but other than that you're point stands.

I'd agree that the idea we should be more attacking that we were against ICT is an odd one. 

Im not sure I'd agree about the long balls though. We've looked really dangerous playing balls over the top and into the channels for the front three, Shields in particular, to chase. The issue isnt playing long balls its playing bad ones. Thats not to say we shouldnt be also trying to pass the ball too.

I fully agree that there is undoubtedly a risk that if we play two up top we are much more open at the back and can be badly caught out. Mabude can certainly do a job wide left but he is nowhere near as effective as he would be as a central striker. Perhaps keeping the shape solid is more of a priority - it has served us well and now is maybe not the time to change our set up. I guess the only way to accommodate a front 2 safely is to go 3-5-2 and then it is difficult to fit Jones in so not an easy call.

Arguably, we played a front two in the previous two games where we had a back three and both Dobbie and Shields in the team, but other than that you're point stands.
I'd agree that the idea we should be more attacking that we were against ICT is an odd one. 
Im not sure I'd agree about the long balls though. We've looked really dangerous playing balls over the top and into the channels for the front three, Shields in particular, to chase. The issue isnt playing long balls its playing bad ones. Thats not to say we shouldnt be also trying to pass the ball too.

I don’t get the comments of long balls we’ve played the same since the win at raith. They just didn’t come off yesterday. I think we do try mix it up, but our success a lot of time has been balls over the top for us to run onto.

I don’t get the comments of long balls we’ve played the same since the win at raith. They just didn’t come off yesterday. I think we do try mix it up, but our success a lot of time has been balls over the top for us to run onto.
Should have been more specific with the long ball comment. I'm not against the long ball approach if it's working - which it clearly has been this season. But when it's not working in a game (like yesterday) the side needs a Plan B. We do try and mix it up and for small periods we did yesterday. We looked good with it on the deck and arguably that's when we started to get a foothold in the game but then we reverted back to the failing approach of going long.

Same lineup for me on Tuesday but the manager needs to read the game and instruct whether they go long or keep it down.

On 11/04/2021 at 21:27, 19QOS19 said:

Same lineup for me on Tuesday but the manager needs to read the game and instruct whether they go long or keep it down.

That's sounds awfy close to that devious underhand trick of deploying tactics there 19QOS19 - would that no be stretching this management lark just a tad too much for AJ, eh? 😏

On 11/04/2021 at 17:41, SUPERSOUTH said:

Must go with a more attack minded team to win Tuesday nights game a change in the formation with 2 up top. 

I can see now why the club has not offered AJ a new contract .

You just can't play 80 mins when 1nil down and then decide to put a sub on .

It as if  he has a plan A and can't change it .

A decent manager would have changed it at half time or even after 60 mins but 80 mins why wait as long as that 

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Or maybe didn't want to travel all that way knowing if he wasn't starting he'd get 10 minutes top...

Dobbie was at the game he got  injured at training on Sunday... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

11 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

I can see now why the club has not offered AJ a new contract .

You just can't play 80 mins when 1nil down and then decide to put a sub on .

It as if  he has a plan A and can't change it .

A decent manager would have changed it at half time or even after 60 mins but 80 mins why wait as long as that 

From what I saw we totally dominated the 2nd half.  We just weren't sharp enough around goal.  Dobbie is not what he was but unfortunate he was not available as he might have been able to find a chance late on.  It seemed to be non -strikers that were getting on the end of things  - oh for a Derek Lyle type striker in there .