The Queen of the South thread

While I wouldn't like to rely on it we might be clear of 9th already. If we get no more points from our 5 remaining Ayr need 4 points to catch us plus Morton and Arbroath both need 5 (all three with 4 games remaining). I don't think it's that unlikely that one of them won't achieve that but in this league predictions aren't much comfort.  It would great to be clear of trouble before the last game in case a a cosy wee draw between Arbroath and Morton on that evening would be enough to make us 9th. 
As you can tell I'm oscillating between being hopeful and still worried.

Exactly my thoughts - i was quite relieved that neither (or both) Ayr and Morton won last night. Draws in both games would have been ideal.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

While I wouldn't like to rely on it we might be clear of 9th already. If we get no more points from our 5 remaining Ayr need 4 points to catch us plus Morton and Arbroath both need 5 (all three with 4 games remaining). I don't think it's that unlikely that one of them won't achieve that but in this league predictions aren't much comfort.  It would great to be clear of trouble before the last game in case a a cosy wee draw between Arbroath and Morton on that evening would be enough to make us 9th. 

As you can tell I'm oscillating between being hopeful and still worried.

Assuming we take no more points, one possible combination of results to see us finish 9th would be:
Ayr draw at home to Dunfermline and beat us at Somerset - 4 points.
Morton draw at home to Hearts, beat Alloa at home and draw with Arbroath away - 5 points.
Arbroath beat Ayr at home, draw with Dunfermline away and draw with Morton at home - 5 points.
It would then come down to goal difference. There isn’t much between us and Arbroath and Morton but if we lose all our remaining games, ours will only get worse. 
Those results are probably unlikely but far from impossible. 
I never really deviate from being worried, tbh.

Assuming we take no more points, one possible combination of results to see us finish 9th would be:
Ayr draw at home to Dunfermline and beat us at Somerset - 4 points.
Morton draw at home to Hearts, beat Alloa at home and draw with Arbroath away - 5 points.
Arbroath beat Ayr at home, draw with Dunfermline away and draw with Morton at home - 5 points.
It would then come down to goal difference. There isn’t much between us and Arbroath and Morton but if we lose all our remaining games, ours will only get worse. 
Those results are probably unlikely but far from impossible. 
I never really deviate from being worried, tbh.
Yes unless there are some very odd scores you would have to assume any of the 3 sides would have a better goal difference than us if they get enough points to draw level. 
The results you say are far from impossible as you suggest but it's good for us that all 3 sides need to well enough to catch us rather than just a single team. I remain in the hopeful but nonetheless still worried camp.🤞

This is one of the strangest seasons i can remember,  from being dead cert relegation favourites  at Christmas to still being in with a chance of a top 4 playoff spot with 5 games to go. The actual play has gone from the ridiculous to the sublime. Still wouldn't put it past Queens to implode and somehow get relegated. If we manage to stay in the league and keep the core of the team then I will be well satisfied.

On 07/04/2021 at 09:17, ALOREBURNE said:

The 2 defeats to Alloa have really set us back. Even just 4 points from them 2 games would have seen us in a nice position. 

You can't really look at it like that we got 4 points from Hearts that we did not expect .

Our run in is very difficult just staying in the Championship would do me.

I wish we could build on this season really go for the playoffs next season but our manager and all our squad are out of contract the likes of Ayo and Sheilds will be away and can Dobbie go another season 

22 minutes ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

Dobbie was supposed to be announcing his plans for next season in March and it's now one week into April.    

Welcome to insanity!

Maybe he’s waiting to see if we are definitely still in the Championship? Or seeing if he still ‘feels it’ over the remaining games. Only Sir Stephen knows.

Even though tonight involved the two teams at extreme ends of the table and furthest away from us, it was still a good outcome.

I was no longer worried about automatic relegation, but it was good to have any vague possibility formally removed.  

More Importantly, it was good to see Hearts record a big win, given that we don't have to play them again, but ICT and Raith still do, as well as Morton. If a return to form suggests Hearts will win these games, then we stand to benefit.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

17 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Even though tonight involved the two teams at extreme ends of the table and furthest away from us, it was still a good outcome.

I was no longer worried about automatic relegation, but it was good to have any vague possibility formally removed.  

More Importantly, it was good to see Hearts record a big win, given that we don't have to play them again, but ICT and Raith still do, as well as Morton. If a return to form suggests Hearts will win these games, then we stand to benefit.

Tomorrow's fixtures present a real conundrum as far as preferred results go.  Wins for Ayr, Morton and Arbroath would be a huge boost in terms of our chances of getting into the promotion play offs while at the same time keeping us right the mix in the battle to avoid finishing 9th.  Conversely if Dunfermline, Dundee & Raith all win we'd be pretty much guaranteed safety but our chances of finishing in the top 4 would be dramatically reduced.

I think the ideal scenario tomorrow may be a win for us (obviously) and the other three games ending in draws, but this league is so tight I can't even convince myself that that would do us any major favours!.  

14 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Tomorrow's fixtures present a real conundrum as far as preferred results go.  Wins for Ayr, Morton and Arbroath would be a huge boost in terms of our chances of getting into the promotion play offs while at the same time keeping us right the mix in the battle to avoid finishing 9th.  Conversely if Dunfermline, Dundee & Raith all win we'd be pretty much guaranteed safety but our chances of finishing in the top 4 would be dramatically reduced.

I think the ideal scenario tomorrow may be a win for us (obviously) and the other three games ending in draws, but this league is so tight I can't even convince myself that that would do us any major favours!.  

I think draws would probably be fair results for us.

Other than that, it depends on whether we win or not. If we do, then Id rather the teams below us won as they're running out of games to catch us. If we lose, then Id rather the teams below us lost too

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Other than that, it depends on whether we win or not. If we do, then Id rather the teams below us won as they're running out of games to catch us. If we lose, then Id rather the teams below us lost too

This.

7 hours ago, Mr X said:

Yes, precisely this.

Draws would suit us fine because nobody benefits much and a point goes unclaimed.  The biggest factor though, concerns how we do.  Wins have us looking up, while defeats have us concerned with what's beneath.  

If we draw, we don't want others on either side of us getting wins really.  Another point or two would probably get us safe.

Yeah we need to focus on our performances and let others worry about theirs. All we can do is focus on winning our games. If we do then we'll be in the playoffs.  As others have mentioned, staying in this league after where we were after the 1st third of the season feels like a big win anyway. 

13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes agreed.  Of course once they get their win to cross the finish line it may well be that the Jambos take their foot off the gas and start to field their kids to see what they can do - which you would think would favour ICT, Raith and Morton.

6 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Yes agreed.  Of course once they get their win to cross the finish line it may well be that the Jambos take their foot off the gas and start to field their kids to see what they can do - which you would think would favour ICT, Raith and Morton.

Yes, that's possible.

But you wouldn't think Neilson's position is strong enough for him to embrace experimentation.  I think he'll want a strong finish. 

Crossing the line could either prompt players to ease off, or it might liberate them a bit to play with more freedom.  Plenty will want to impress enough to show they should be kept on for the top flight.

It's one of those unknowables that might have either effect, or even none.