The Queen of the South thread

32 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Are we allowed to say that the top 4 is a legitimate aim now?

Before today's result I was still nervous because of the games in hand that the clubs below us had.  However, after today's result and with the likes of Shields, Pybus and Nortey to come back from injury and if wee Mebude doesn't get a ban then I think its gonna be wasteful if this squad doesn't make the top four - as unthinkable back in November as it was.

As I said on the match thread (and if Dapo doesn't get a ban) the thought of Jones and Mebude on the wings with Shields through the middle is almost obscene, with either of Pybus or Nortey coming back into midfield.

Someone on here mentioned earlier that the next two games (Arbroath and Alloa ?) will present a massive opportunity to make a statement of intent.

Buzzin!

Last point ............................ William Gibson.

23 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Before today's result I was still nervous because of the games in hand that the clubs below us had.  However, after today's result and with the likes of Shields, Pybus and Nortey to come back from injury and if wee Mebude doesn't get a ban then I think its gonna be wasteful if this squad doesn't make the top four - as unthinkable back in November as it was.

As I said on the match thread (and if Dapo doesn't get a ban) the thought of Jones and Mebude on the wings with Shields through the middle is almost obscene, with either of Pybus or Nortey coming back into midfield.

Someone on here mentioned earlier that the next two games (Arbroath and Alloa ?) will present a massive opportunity to make a statement of intent.

Buzzin!

Last point ............................ William Gibson.

Steady.

These next two games also present an opportunity for us to get back into trouble, not that we've really even escaped it yet.

We have little right to see Arbroath away as an open door, given their form.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Steady.

These next two games also present an opportunity for us to get back into trouble, not that we've really even escaped it yet.

We have little right to see Arbroath away as an open door, given their form.

C'mon MT, I'm buzzin tonight and I'm in glass-half-full optimistic mode.  I just think moving onto the 24 point mark gives us an opportunity to start looking up instead of looking down as we have been all season.  Of course nothing is a given in this life.  Did I say that Arbroath away was "an open door"?  These two games will be tough, but they are an opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

C'mon MT, I'm buzzin tonight and I'm in glass-half-full optimistic mode.  I just think moving onto the 24 point mark gives us an opportunity to start looking up instead of looking down as we have been all season.  Of course nothing is a given in this life.  Did I say that Arbroath away was "an open door"?  These two games will be tough, but they are an opportunity.

We are in a funny position here, but it's one common to half the league whereby looking both up and down is entirely realistic.

When Queens fans display hubris, it always makes me uneasy though.

Hubris, really? - you obviously don't know me (which of course is true).  I've been watching Queens since 1971, how on earth could I ever be over confident? 😏

Queens fans have a wee and very rare chance to smile tonight, lets not flatten the mood eh?

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Whoever got him in the club's 'Secret Santa' this year deserves an enormous pat on the back.

The Chairman,   or possibly the players as they didn't seem to have a clue what they were supposed to be doing earlier in the season. 

4 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Hubris, really? - you obviously don't know me (which of course is true).  I've been watching Queens since 1971, how on earth could I ever be over confident? 😏

Queens fans have a wee and very rare chance to smile tonight, lets not flatten the mood eh?

I'm smiling too.  

We've both seen enough to resist getting carried away though.

11 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I've supported QOS since 1965. I too am smiling this evening. At 1-0 up and Dunfermline down to 10 men in stoppage time today I still had a nagging feeling we'd mess up.

I doubt that will ever change for me.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I was checking the other scores throughout, as I normally do, and felt totally confused as to what I was meant to be hoping for.

We had the same conversation at half time. The way the league is, what we want from other games is different depending on how we are doing. If we lost today, Raith beating Alloa would be a good result, because we won it would have been better the other way round.

I think only ICT and Dundee can go above us by winning their games in hand now. Plus, if Raith and Dunfermline win their games in hand it keeps us up the league and away from the bottom, but if they lose we actually have a chance of finishing 2nd or 3rd ... but then so do about 6 other clubs!

55 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I've supported QOS since 1965. I too am smiling this evening. At 1-0 up and Dunfermline down to 10 men in stoppage time today I still had a nagging feeling we'd mess up.

Time to live it up and enjoy the success!

51 minutes ago, Mr X said:

We took the same number of points from the second third of the season as Hearts - 17

We have 20 points from the 2nd third of the season, not 17. 6 wins, two draws and the loss to Alloa. We've been in the lead in all 9 games, it could have been even better!

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We have 20 points from the 2nd third of the season, not 17. 6 wins, two draws and the loss to Alloa. We've been in the lead in all 9 games, it could have been even better!

The form site I looked at hadnt been updated with todays game :rolleyes::oops

Not been a good day for me and technology

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

True.

It does have to be said though that deep into injury time an increasingly desperate Dunfermline launched a long ball forward. Ayo Obileye, about 2 feet above everyone else headed back about 30 yards up the pitch from where they launched it again. Gregor Buchanan rose and did exactly the same. They had a third attempt and someone else comfortably won a header before it was volleyed up the park and Mebude was off terrorising the back line again. Obviously it's not inventive from Dunfermline but it's the sort of stuff that three months ago we weren't coping with in that way and at best would have sliced something into the stand or got too deep.

I was checking the other scores throughout, as I normally do, and felt totally confused as to what I was meant to be hoping for.
The only result I was interested in was Alloa's, I won't lie. I was raging with Ayr until I looked at their points tally [emoji38]

I'm still very much looking down for now. We're currently the best example in the league of how quickly things can turn in this mental division. It's a massive outside chance of course but we could literally be bottom of the table by the end of March.

For me we are only 4 points off 9th spot. If we get to double figures off 9th spot I'll stand feeling a bit more comfortable and begin to look up.

Anyone outside of the top 3, apart from Alloa, has a legitimate claim to 4th spot I'd say given how much it chops and changes.

13 hours ago, Mr X said:

We had the same conversation at half time. The way the league is, what we want from other games is different depending on how we are doing. If we lost today, Raith beating Alloa would be a good result, because we won it would have been better the other way round.

I think only ICT and Dundee can go above us by winning their games in hand now. Plus, if Raith and Dunfermline win their games in hand it keeps us up the league and away from the bottom, but if they lose we actually have a chance of finishing 2nd or 3rd ... but then so do about 6 other clubs!

Nothing personal against Alloa but I'm glad they got beat and hope they continue to struggle,  I'm happier if there is a team other than us hopefully  stranded at the bottom. I'm still very much in the camp of wanting to finish anywhere above 9th, we're enjoying a good run and the longer that continues the chances are my goals may change,  but as has been pointed out its still too tight a division to take safety for granted. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

If you'd asked any Queens fan, player, coach, club official etc what the objective was at the start of this season I'm sure league and financial survival would have been the answer.  Today, 2/3 into the season and given the tightness in this league, I'm sure the answer from most (me included) will still be the same.  That said, momentum is a big thing in the game and over the previous third set of fixtures this team (and Arbroath) have gained heaps of momentum and haven't been embarrassed by any other side in the division.  Couple that with our new found solidity in defence (and don't forget Ferguson's recent form here either) and our abundance of riches/pace up front and the fact that the squad will hopefully be augmented by returnees from injury and surely there's an opportunity to sneak a wee peek (when nobody's looking) towards the other end of the table for a change?  Time for a few positive vibes?

9 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

there's an opportunity to sneak a wee peek (when nobody's looking) towards the other end of the table for a change?  Time for a few positive vibes?

Despite my natural pessimism and wish to dampen the enthusiasm of others, I've already envisioned Dobbie emerging from the bench late in the second leg of the playoff final at a packed Rugby Park to fire us into the top flight in his last ever appearance.

That's why I constantly need to rein in the good vibes.

I absolutely understand the conservatism around Queens and our projected finishing position. Most games in this league have an almost equal chance of being a home, draw or away win. If you were trying to win money professionally betting on this league - laying the favourite in every game might make you a profit but trying to predict winners is a lost cause.In our fantastic run every game has gone down to the wire - Raith away was the only two goal win and even then we were under late pressure until Goss secured the clincher. The other wins have been nerve racking affairs with the outcome in doubt up to the last minute. In many ways that makes the run all the more remarkable as it has been a series of weekly cup finals and that will continue to the end of season.

Supporters of clubs like Pars and Dundee get really frustrated in this league. They clearly have much better squads than the likes of ourselves,Ayr and the part timers. There is an expectation that their Manager should be easily capable of brushing the smaller clubs aside. They have better squads but organisation, effort, morale, fitness negates the apparent advantage that these teams have on paper.

It is a complete dog fight from start to finish and more than anything else clubs need battlers all over the pitch if they are to succeed.