The Queen of the South thread

Not a surprise but we simply can't do a rebuild job every season. We will hopefully survive another season in the Championship with the team we've got at present but unless we can find the resources to keep some of our better players then eventually we'll get caught out. When this team gets it together they are pretty good and what a difference from earlier in the season.

They should try using the Tanner Fund money on offer. That might just persuade one or two players to stick around for another season. Thought that was the whole idea of it..?

21 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

They should try using the Tanner Fund money on offer. That might just persuade one or two players to stick around for another season. Thought that was the whole idea of it..?

Tanner Fund update on 01/02/21 said that they had discussions with the board about using the fund for funds or wages and the board have asked them to hold on to it until they rebuild for next season. 

You’d think that suggests using some of it to keep hold of some of the players we have for next season. 

12 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

What's been the cause for Queens recent excellenct form? 

I way he'd the hearts game and the speed, power, directness and work rate of mbude and nortei really stood out. The big fella obileye was solid too. 

We brought in Breen on loan at centre back and put him into the back line.  That allowed Obileye to move into midfield and Nortey (back from injury) has joined him in the midfield with McKee and McCabe dropping out injured.  So we now have a midfield that is now protecting the back line as well as carrying some forward threat and Breen seems to be working well with the oft criticised (on P&B) Buchannan in the back line.  Up front we have young players with oodles of pace, where bringing in Jones on loan from Middlesbrough was a nice piece of business.  Mebude seemed to be potentially a great part of that plan - but there's a good chance we won't see him again this season due to his daftness.  The cream on top has been Willie Gibson's form at right back though where he's been a revelation, showing loads of experience and adding no little guile in his forays forward where you can tell he was a winger in his younger days.  Once Connor Shields returns from injury I think Queens fans might well enjoy watching the team for a change - sure as hell been a tough watch for a couple of seasons.

15 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

What's been the cause for Queens recent excellenct form? 

I way he'd the hearts game and the speed, power, directness and work rate of mbude and nortei really stood out. The big fella obileye was solid too. 

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

We brought in Breen on loan at centre back and put him into the back line.  That allowed Obileye to move into midfield and Nortey (back from injury) has joined him in the midfield with McKee and McCabe dropping out injured.  So we now have a midfield that is now protecting the back line as well as carrying some forward threat and Breen seems to be working well with the oft criticised (on P&B) Buchannan in the back line.  Up front we have young players with oodles of pace, where bringing in Jones on loan from Middlesbrough was a nice piece of business.  Mebude seemed to be potentially a great part of that plan - but there's a good chance we won't see him again this season due to his daftness.  The cream on top has been Willie Gibson's form at right back though where he's been a revelation, showing loads of experience and adding no little guile in his forays forward where you can tell he was a winger in his younger days.  Once Connor Shields returns from injury I think Queens fans might well enjoy watching the team for a change - sure as hell been a tough watch for a couple of seasons.

I don't agree with that. There's an argument that's improved us again but adding Breen in certainly isn't the reason for our upturn in form. The upturn in form started on December 29th v Raith, since when we've played 9 games, winning 6, drawing 2 and losing one (to Alloa). Breen didn't play until the Morton game which was match 5 in that 9 game run. And we didn't bring Buchanan back in and play three centre halves until the Hearts game so it's only been the three games this last week that we've used that system.

The change was Dobbie getting injured at Morton and dropping out of the side, meaning Shields was switched to playing through the middle instead of wide, Pybus started playing further forward and we've been battering sides with pace and power since. We didn't really see it the first game v Dundee on Boxing Day as it was completely ruined by the wind (and individual errors handing Sow a hat trick). Combined with the goalkeeper shenanigans that led to a 16 year old being thrown in on 10 mins notice at Raith a few days later. The defence visibly rose to the challenge of protecting him that day (it helped that Raith were awful). We took a lot of confidence from that and the come from behind win over Ayr a few days later. We've had to change personnel at times: Shields got injured, Pybus got injured, Mebude contrived to get himself isolated, Fitzpatrick had to isolate too, but we've stuck with the same pace and power system since. Adding Ayo's height to the midfield and extra centre back on defending set pieces has helped. The Dobbie injury was the catalyst for change though.

In the last 9 games, we've won 6, The two draws were against a similarly improved Arbroath which we led 2-0 in and should have finished as a contest when Fitzpatrick spurned a glorious chance to put it to bed 3-0 and Hearts who equalised with a 90th minute penalty. Even the loss, at Alloa, was one we led 1-0 and were well in command of until Shields was injured midway through the first half. We failed to adapt to his loss on the day and contrived to lose the game.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

58 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The change was Dobbie getting injured at Morton and dropping out of the side

Of all the crazy-weird things that have happened or been said over the last few years, this has to be the most unexpected!  I don't necessarily disagree but it seems something that shouldn't be said out loud.

17 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't agree with that. There's an argument that's improved us again but adding Breen in certainly isn't the reason for our upturn in form. 

I agree with a lot of what you've said SD and you analyse these things more/better than I do, but its been a combination of things which have led to our improvement I think.  However, I never said that adding Breen was the reason for our up turn in form, or at least I don't think I did.  My point was that bringing in Breen (who I think has been better than some Thistle fans were indicating) was the catalyst that has allowed big Ayo to go into the midfield adding protection to the back line and giving us 3 big centre backs to defend set pieces, plus the bonus of a midfield with more dig that helps to protect the back line more.  Yes, of course it started with an improved performance at Raith before the window opened, and also moving Pybus further forwards helped before he got injured, although Nortey has stepped up to the plate there.  It's just my opinion (although at least one other on here has agreed with me) and that's all it is just an opinion.

On 19/02/2021 at 12:06, ALOREBURNE said:

From OS. Lovely touch on next seasons 3rd shirt. 

634F7256-D40F-4E4C-AA86-D58C1AC3C6F9.jpeg

I see some appreciate this gesture and have no problem with that at all. 

Personally I think it's a bit much expecting us to fork out another £45 to receive a " thanks for the help " message. 

I won't be buying. 

26 minutes ago, Estreet said:

Personally I think it's a bit much expecting us to fork out another £45 to receive a " thanks for the help " message. 

I won't be buying. 

You expect them to give us it for free? 

41 minutes ago, Estreet said:

I won't be buying. 

You dont have to buy it to benefit from the gesture. Your name will be on the shirt either way.

Not at all. A simple message of appreciation would have done for me.
Wouldn't expect anything for free from them. Except the "free " £19 stream. 

It would also help matters if they would list the 20/21 sponsors instead of the previous seasons’. Bought in 2019 [emoji45]

1 hour ago, Estreet said:

Not at all. A simple message of appreciation would have done for me.

Wouldn't expect anything for free from them. Except the "free " £19 stream. 

I've no idea what you're on about but Im sure if you're that bothered and contacted the club they would give you £19.

59 minutes ago, Estreet said:

Wondering how I "benefit" from it. 

The gesture is to put the season ticket holders names on the shirts. You'll benefit from that whether you buy it or not.

38 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

It would also help matters if they would list the 20/21 sponsors instead of the previous seasons’. Bought in 2019 emoji45.png

How does the world keep turning?

16 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I've no idea what you're on about but Im sure if you're that bothered and contacted the club they would give you £19

I've no idea what you're on about. I was pointing out that I was not expecting them to give a free shirt, but that I did expect to receive my "free " stream for which I paid on average £19 a time. 

6 minutes ago, Estreet said:

I've no idea what you're on about. I was pointing out that I was not expecting them to give a free shirt, but that I did expect to receive my "free " stream for which I paid on average £19 a time. 

Ah, I thought you were complaining about being £19 out of pocket. 

If I'd known thats what you meant I wouldnt have bothered replying

3 minutes ago, Estreet said:

Simply repeating your last post does not answer the question about how I benefit.

Well, kinda does. 

4 hours ago, Estreet said:

The "thanks for the help" message is getting  your name on the shirt. You dont have to "fork out another £45" to "benefit" from it.

10 minutes ago, Mr X said:

The "thanks for the help" message is getting  your name on the shirt. You dont have to "fork out another £45" to "benefit" from it

Fair enough.

I said at the start that others were of a different opinion. I'm happy to leave it there .