The Queen of the South thread

He probably had the biggest budget in the league in his first go. I'll concede he'll be at the lower end now but he had all the advantages in his first spell.

Here we go again this is a recurring theme re AJ’s first spell as Manager.

If League 1 is as easy as some suggest let’s just look at the failures :- Dunfermline (a much bigger budget than AJ had) under Jeffries/McCann finished in 7th place some 20 points behind league winners, Raith failed in 2017/18 and 18/19 to get promotion. Falkirk last season and Partick this season under the notable figure of Ian McCall are off the pace. On the other hand AJ took over from Jeffries at EEP and won the league in a canter. This is an argument that just doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

Here we go again this is a recurring theme re AJ’s first spell as Manager.

If League 1 is as easy as some suggest let’s just look at the failures :- Dunfermline (a much bigger budget than AJ had) under Jeffries/McCann finished in 7th place some 20 points behind league winners, Raith failed in 2017/18 and 18/19 to get promotion. Falkirk last season and Partick this season under the notable figure of Ian McCall are off the pace. On the other hand AJ took over from Jeffries at EEP and won the league in a canter. This is an argument that just doesn’t stand up to scrutiny.

He had a group of promising and talented youngsters, the budget to bring in quality experienced players, the only group of FT professionals in a league filled with part timers. He absolutely had all the advantages to get the job done and he did it well. All your point proves is other clubs make a complete arse of it. We were a man down and 1-0 down to our closest rivals and he lines us up 3-3-3 in the second half to win 5-1. You can't seriously suggest that doesn't scream of a side full of far better players?

The original discussion was that AJ had a limited budget in his first spell which he clearly didn't.

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He had a group of promising and talented youngsters, the budget to bring in quality experienced players, the only group of FT professionals in a league filled with part timers. He absolutely had all the advantages to get the job done and he did it well. All your point proves is other clubs make a complete arse of it. We were a man down and 1-0 down to our closest rivals and he lines us up 3-3-3 in the second half to win 5-1. You can't seriously suggest that doesn't scream of a side full of far better players?

The original discussion was that AJ had a limited budget in his first spell which he clearly didn't.

Alloa were our closest rivals. Arbroath finished 5th, 40 points behind.

Edited by Flash

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
4 minutes ago, Flash said:
Alloa were our closest rivals. Arbroath finished 4th, 40 points behind.

I'm sure Arbroath were second that day. Could be misremembering.

Alloa were second and lost to Brechin after being ahead. At HT, with us 1-0 down and them winning, the gap was down to 8 points as it stood. By the end of the game, it was 14 points.
Edited my previous post as Arbroath actually finished 5th.

Alloa were second and lost to Brechin after being ahead. At HT, with us 1-0 down and them winning, the gap was down to 8 points as it stood. By the end of the game, it was 14 points.
Edited my previous post as Arbroath actually finished 5th.

Good old memory.

Not that it changes my point much I suppose.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Good old memory.

Not that it changes my point much I suppose.

I only remembered the points difference and Alloa were winning and we were losing at HT. Had to look the rest of it up.
I get what you’re saying about Johnston but we did win that league with a record points total and we did play some good stuff. I don’t think even with the same budget it would have been such a good season if Gus had stayed.

“A side full of better players” .......is that not what you want your Manager to achieve? Some posters on here seem more intent on seeing Johnston fail than us to stay up so that they can play “the told you so” card. Others seem more intent on Tommy Goss getting game time than us grinding out results.

“A side full of better players” .......is that not what you want your Manager to achieve? Some posters on here seem more intent on seeing Johnston fail than us to stay up so that they can play “the told you so” card. Others seem more intent on Tommy Goss getting game time than us grinding out results.

Well yes, but again are you realistically going to achieve getting the best players if you don't have a bigger budget than your rivals/are at a club just as a decent group of youngsters are breaking through? Take a step back and look at the original discussion. No one is knocking his achievements the first time around, just putting a bit of realism in there, even with all the advantages he had us playing really good football and won the league impressively. It was sparked when it was claimed he was working with limited resources the first time around which just wasn't the case.

If he keeps us up this season I'd argue it's at least on par with him winning the league with us the first time around, if not a better achievement, and he'll receive credit for doing so (and a new contract unfortunately...). But the jury is at least out on whether or not he can cut it at this level. He's probably the best man you could want in League 1 but his CV any higher isn't exactly glowing.

5 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Johnston absolutely deserves credit for the transformation from the first part of the season. However, we did only have 4 points from 9 games and were extremely easy to score against. I guess you could argue that it took time to get the team to gel. Against that, the team seemed to gel ok when some players who hadn’t played that much came in and a couple of other changes were made that could have been made sooner.
The biggest criticism I had of Johnston was in terms of recruitment because it looked like the midfield in particular weren’t at all interested in the ugly side of the game. There does seem to have been an improvement in attitude and application in the second round of fixtures. Long may it continue. But the complaints earlier in the season were entirely justified. I think some people are maybe a little cautious about giving too much credit right now because the team has shown two sides this season and there is a worry it could go back the other way.
I think everybody wants him to succeed in keeping us up, though.

Why “unfortunately” a new contract- if he were to keep us up (and that is still a big if in my opinion) surely he would deserve another stint given the underlying circumstances would he not? His recruitment has been a positive surely? Obileye, Nortey, Maxwell, McKee, Shields, Jones, Breen, Fitzpatrick.Some of the younger players like McGrory surely have potential.Realistically are they not as good and innovative signings as we could expect in our position with a complete new squad to build? You are not alone plenty others feel the same but I just dont get it. We have had countless Managers over the years who achieved very very little who are held in higher esteem than Alan Johnston...........a good player for us in the twilight of his career, a notable double in his first year, saved us from relegation after the Naysmith debacle and now turning round a disastrous start to the season with a jinxed injury list. Add in a promotion and a Play off position at Dunfermline and I am just not getting this weak managerial cv?

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Are you seriously suggesting some of our own fans want our club to get relegated this season? Just so they can say “I told you so” regarding the manager?
What a load of rubbish. 

I hope Allan Johnston stays next season. I think we will stay up. The question may be would he want to stay? The stress of the job must be immense. Building a team from scratch every season. I think people tend to forget in football, because of the emotions connected to supporting a club, that there is a toll taken on each individual as in any other walk of life.

26 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

From OS. Lovely touch on next seasons 3rd shirt. 

634F7256-D40F-4E4C-AA86-D58C1AC3C6F9.jpeg

This is a great idea well done to all involved  it has shown the club do care about the fans .

This is more like it from Queens improving everywhere not just on the pitch .

Edited by Northfield 53

Are you seriously suggesting some of our own fans want our club to get relegated this season? Just so they can say “I told you so” regarding the manager?
What a load of rubbish. 

I didn’t actually say “relegated” so please don’t put words into my mouth.
I think a big number want Johnston out and while this revival has been great it hasn’t necessarily suited their agenda or supported earlier scathing criticism of him.As I said in another post I just don’t understand why Johnston is viewed so negatively by so many. His record as a player and a manager here bears very favourable scrutiny with the vast majority of managers that I have seen here over many long years supporting the club.