The Queen of the South thread

Fantastic win tonight.
The first round of games v Raith, Hearts and ICT produced zero points and an aggregate score of 3-14.
This round of games has produced seven points and an aggregate score of 4-1. An amazing difference. Especially considering all the injuries and the preparation for tonight being upset by losing Mebude.

AW NAW.......kiss of death!!!!    [emoji6]

Disaster. Remember the last time that happened. 18358555.jpg&key=95b937a7b117a4a014d70eb6e697f853cc3e12254aecec5a9ccfbf7477f02b7c
As has been said in the Dundee match thread they got it before the Alloa game. So we have that to blame for the loss and the Shields injury...

4 minutes ago, nomad said:

Disaster. Remember the last time that happened. alt description

Aye I remember it well. All of February and almost the whole of March with no victory or even a point until we beat Dundee Utd on the 30th March. 4 points from a possible 9 so far this month though. 

4 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Aye I remember it well. All of February and almost the whole of March with no victory or even a point until we beat Dundee Utd on the 30th March. 4 points from a possible 9 so far this month though. 

My fatalist problems apart, ye have to then remember why AJ got the job in the first place, post Gus. Work with no money and make it happen. Ok was the seaside league, but he does seem to get the best out of a team when his resources are limited. Fair play. 

Its clear over the last two games that our defence is suddenly looking a whole lot more solid (hope this isn't the kiss of death before Saturday).  Breen and Buchannan looked decent last night in the middle of the back line and Ayo and Nortei did a great job in the middle protecting the back line, not to mention some of Nortei's forays forwards.

This got me to thinking that through adversity (ie our injuries/non-availabilities) sometimes managers can kind of stumble on a good formation that fits the players at his disposal - might be doing AJ an injustice here though.  This reminded me of a season about 10+ years back when we had a poor start to the season (can you imagine that for Queens?) shipping heaps of goals in the process and we looked in big trouble.  Big JT was in the back line and we had signed Stuart Lovell (ex Hibs etc) and were playing him in the midfield.  Despite his pedigree, Lovell looked lost and like a ship out of water in midfield.  Then second half of the season (and I think again it might have been due to injury) we put Lovell into the back line and he suddenly looked a completely different player seeming to read the play so much better and we rarely leaked goals from there on in.  So its very much about finding the right position for the right players ..... kind of obvious I suppose .... 😕  Maybe AJ should stick with what he has discovered now?

My fatalist problems apart, ye have to then remember why AJ got the job in the first place, post Gus. Work with no money and make it happen. Ok was the seaside league, but he does seem to get the best out of a team when his resources are limited. Fair play. 
He probably had the biggest budget in the league in his first go. I'll concede he'll be at the lower end now but he had all the advantages in his first spell.

22 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, nomad said:

He probably had the biggest budget in the league in his first go. I'll concede he'll be at the lower end now but he had all the advantages in his first spell.

True. But Clark couldnae hit a coos erse wi a banjo until seaside. Budget was large in comparison and we brought in the likes of Mitch who was a revelation for me, Young always looked a class above and of course tan man. But prior to this the Ross County game personified what he needs to do. Forget budgets and working with reputations focus on the pitch and getting the best out of those playing. So the kids came in because it was what he had. And now he HAS to work with what he has again. Just my view, but give AJ too many options and he struggles. Focus and concentrate on what is available and he seems to exceeds expectation. There are managers like that all over the place. Most famous in my book 'Big Sam'. Blows a budget but works best with pennies.   

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Its clear over the last two games that our defence is suddenly looking a whole lot more solid (hope this isn't the kiss of death before Saturday).  Breen and Buchannan looked decent last night in the middle of the back line and Ayo and Nortei did a great job in the middle protecting the back line, not to mention some of Nortei's forays forwards.

This got me to thinking that through adversity (ie our injuries/non-availabilities) sometimes managers can kind of stumble on a good formation that fits the players at his disposal - might be doing AJ an injustice here though.  This reminded me of a season about 10+ years back when we had a poor start to the season (can you imagine that for Queens?) shipping heaps of goals in the process and we looked in big trouble.  Big JT was in the back line and we had signed Stuart Lovell (ex Hibs etc) and were playing him in the midfield.  Despite his pedigree, Lovell looked lost and like a ship out of water in midfield.  Then second half of the season (and I think again it might have been due to injury) we put Lovell into the back line and he suddenly looked a completely different player seeming to read the play so much better and we rarely leaked goals from there on in.  So its very much about finding the right position for the right players ..... kind of obvious I suppose .... 😕  Maybe AJ should stick with what he has discovered now?

The formation hasnt changed all season, but where certain players have played has. Moving Shields through the middle and moving Pybus further forward gave the team more directness going forward and the ability to press higher up the pitch.

Since then, he's stuck with pace up front and a mobile midfielder behind the forward where possible and brought in more pace out wide. 

Im still not convinced Nortey and Obileye are the best midfield pairing we have. Im not even convinced we are suddenly that solid at the back - ICT had decent chances but their finishing was awful.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

This reminded me of a season about 10+ years back when we had a poor start to the season (can you imagine that for Queens?) shipping heaps of goals in the process and we looked in big trouble.  Big JT was in the back line and we had signed Stuart Lovell (ex Hibs etc) and were playing him in the midfield.  Despite his pedigree, Lovell looked lost and like a ship out of water in midfield.  Then second half of the season (and I think again it might have been due to injury) we put Lovell into the back line and he suddenly looked a completely different player seeming to read the play so much better... 

2006/07, the original Great Escape. 

Lovell was magnificent at sweeper. He gave up a season too early. I remember after his 1st game there, a loss at Stranraer, I said I hoped never to see him play that position again. I couldnt have been more wrong.

The formation hasnt changed all season, but where certain players have played has. Moving Shields through the middle and moving Pybus further forward gave the team more directness going forward and the ability to press higher up the pitch.
Since then, he's stuck with pace up front and a mobile midfielder behind the forward where possible and brought in more pace out wide. 
Im still not convinced Nortey and Obileye are the best midfield pairing we have. Im not even convinced we are suddenly that solid at the back - ICT had decent chances but their finishing was awful.
In the defences defence... Caley were limited to very few clearcut chances. I can't think of any chances where I said "that should have been a Caley goal".* Their chances were shots from distance which is exactly what a GK wants and is testament to how well they performed as a unit. It was the same for Hearts. I was skeptical we had turned a corner after the Raith and Ayr wins but I actually had confidence in us keeping a clean sheet last night which is probably the first time I've thought that all season/s.

I'd just be scared to tinker too much in case it upsets the balance.

* Unless I missed one, which is quite possible tbf.

21 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

2006/07, the original Great Escape. 

Lovell was magnificent at sweeper. He gave up a season too early. I remember after his 1st game there, a loss at Stranraer, I said I hoped never to see him play that position again. I couldnt have been more wrong.

Yep, I remember early in that season sitting in the Excelsior up at Airdrie and we got thumped 4-0 and it could have been a lot more.  I couldn't believe how ineffective our defence was.  Then contrast that with what we saw later in the season with Lovell in commanding sweeper form - was like "night and day".  Shame he didn't continue another season.

27 minutes ago, Mr X said:

The formation hasnt changed all season, but where certain players have played has.

Yep, probably didn't express myself very clearly there ..... that's what I meant though.