The Queen of the South thread

6 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

Peter Dickson (walks on water) scored an absolute belter into the top corner from the edge of the 18 yard box to win a cup game 5-4 against Ayr in front of a huge crowd at Palmy in the mid seventies. That was a special goal.

...... and I bloody well missed it Sid.  I was at the first cup tie at Somerset (2-2) on the Saturday but couldn't get down from Glasgow (student at the time) for the mid-week game.  Was so pissed off - everyone said it was a great night and a great goal as you say.  The first tie was a cracker too - Alan Ball saving a penalty despite having broken his ankle earlier in the game.  Peter Dickson had incredible pace and could finish too - he saved us almost single handedly in one of our earlier great escape seasons.

15 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Said it on here before but the best goal I ever saw at Palmerston was when a fat, puffing Robert Prytz finishing his career at East Fife in the 90s turned and backheel volleyed a cross that was just behind him past David Mathieson from the edge of the box. I was standing roughly where the police box is and was right in line with the cross for a perfect view. Was incredible skill. 

Talking of goals from opposition players ....... remember watching us getting absolutely humped 1-4 going on more at Palmerston by a Clydebank side who had a young winger who seemed to have the ball glued to his feet and a serious shot on him too - our defence were chasing shadows all game - name of the winger ......... one Davie Cooper esquire - such talent.

...... and I bloody well missed it Sid.  I was at the first cup tie at Somerset (2-2) on the Saturday but couldn't get down from Glasgow (student at the time) for the mid-week game.  Was so pissed off - everyone said it was a great night and a great goal as you say.  The first tie was a cracker too - Alan Ball saving a penalty despite having broken his ankle earlier in the game.  Peter Dickson had incredible pace and could finish too - he saved us almost single handedly in one of our earlier great escape seasons.

Im sure Dickson scored 2 crackers that night - he was absolutely on fire at the time. Game went to extra time with Rangers at home in the quarter finals the prize.

Just now, sidofthesouth said:

Im sure Dickson scored 2 crackers that night - he was absolutely on fire at the time. Game went to extra time with Rangers at home in the quarter finals the prize.

Yep, after the Ayr game expectation was sky high and then we froze badly on the day for the Rangers quarter final at Palmerston - got humped 0-5 and never laid a glove on them all game.  Over 18,000 at Palmy for that game - Health and Safety would have a fit  at the thought of such a crowd these days.

19 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Yep, after the Ayr game expectation was sky high and then we froze badly on the day for the Rangers quarter final at Palmerston - got humped 0-5 and never laid a glove on them all game.  Over 18,000 at Palmy for that game - Health and Safety would have a fit  at the thought of such a crowd these days.

Understandable that expectation was high as we'd taken Rangers to extra-time in two leg  league cup quarter final earlier in the season. Rangers won the treble that season.

29 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Talking of goals from opposition players ....... remember watching us getting absolutely humped 1-4 going on more at Palmerston by a Clydebank side who had a young winger who seemed to have the ball glued to his feet and a serious shot on him too - our defence were chasing shadows all game - name of the winger ......... one Davie Cooper esquire - such talent.

One of the best individual performances I've ever seen at Palmerston. We couldn't get the ball off him. Brilliant display.

1 hour ago, sidofthesouth said:

Fantastic night that.

Dickson lashed it into the net to put us ahead for the first time 4-3 then - using that pace -  in extra time raced to the right corner of the 18 yard box at Terregles end and lobbed Sproat to win it 5-4.

Over 8000 at each game !

On 17/01/2021 at 18:05, Brother Grimm said:
On 17/01/2021 at 05:27, Skyline Drifter said:
Said it on here before but the best goal I ever saw at Palmerston was when a fat, puffing Robert Prytz finishing his career at East Fife in the 90s turned and backheel volleyed a cross that was just behind him past David Mathieson from the edge of the box. I was standing roughly where the police box is and was right in line with the cross for a perfect view. Was incredible skill. 

3 week absence after the Galloway debacle, any thoughts?

You and a few others have a weird obsession with SD. Grow up. 

He seems to have a lot to say about COVID at other clubs, and has in the past had an opinion on everything Queens. He seems to have went into hiding for 3 weeks and just resurfaced now, interested in his take.

9 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:
2 hours ago, FireStarter said:

He seems to have a lot to say about COVID at other clubs, and has in the past had an opinion on everything Queens. He seems to have went into hiding for 3 weeks and just resurfaced now, interested in his take.

Meh. Still a weird obsession you and the other posters have with him. 

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, FireStarter said:

Asking a regular poster his view on a massive club incident isn't really obsessive behaviour tbf.

Did you not see the posts? There’s been 3 of them at it constantly. You were on the last 3 match day forums so I’m sure you would have read the posts. 

I don’t know SD but if he didn’t answer the first 5 times then I doubt he’s going to respond to it. 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 hours ago, FireStarter said:

Asking a regular poster his view on a massive club incident isn't really obsessive behaviour tbf.

Doesn't mean he has to respond though just because some others think he should,  it's his choice. 

On 17/01/2021 at 21:42, Distant Doonhamer said:

Understandable that expectation was high as we'd taken Rangers to extra-time in two leg  league cup quarter final earlier in the season. Rangers won the treble that season.

Somehow I made it down to the league cup quarter final 2nd leg against Rangers at Palmerston mid-week.  It was a shocking night, lashing damn near horizontal rain.  I think we had lost 1-0 in the first leg at Ibrox and in the second leg we were 2-1 up after 90 mins to take the game into extra time but lost out 3-2 on aggregate eventually.  Think Jock Wallace was the Bears manager then.  As you say DD - partly why expectation was so high for the big cup quarter final later in the season.

Haven't really been following the SD thing in this thread (was it to do with the Galloway business?).  I don't know SD either but I'm fairly sure he holds a significant position at the club in addition to his day job.  So that obviously limits him in what he is able to say/debate on a platform like this.  The fact that he does offer insights here and there within the limits of commercial confidentiality into the operation of clubs at our level is I think really helpful to fans (of many clubs, not just Queens) who dip in and out of P&B.  So I think we just need to recognise that there are limits as to what he can say and to what extent he can join in with the debates ...... that sounds awfy sensible, think I better have a wee rest now. 😏

18 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

That wouldn't be a hint of ageism there would it MT?  😄

:lol:Nah, not at all.

I enjoy reading reminiscences from any era.  It's fair to say though that the typical P&B poster is a good bit younger than me, yet I was too young to join in the reflections on that legendary Ayr game.  It always sounds like it was quite something.

11 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Doesn't mean he has to respond though just because some others think he should,  it's his choice. 

Has anyone thought that he may have had other things going on in his life for the last 3 weeks?

There may be a very good reason for not being on here. 

Give the guy a break.