The Queen of the South thread

They are talking about the best ever goal on Scottish soil on Off The Ball today. I was trying to think of the best ever goal at Palmerston and the obvious one is Ryan McCann's 84 yarder.

Does anyone remember Derek Lyle's volley from the half way line? Can't remember who it was against and I might have exaggerated the goal in my head!

They are talking about the best ever goal on Scottish soil on Off The Ball today. I was trying to think of the best ever goal at Palmerston and the obvious one is Ryan McCann's 84 yarder.
Does anyone remember Derek Lyle's volley from the half way line? Can't remember who it was against and I might have exaggerated the goal in my head!

I’m old enough that McCann’s goal isn’t even the longest range goal I’ve seen at Palmerston. East Stirling goalie George Wood scored direct from a kick out on a very windy day back in the 70s. East Stirling won 5-4 from memory. Obviously McCann was actually trying to score, unlike the keeper. Need to give some thought to best ever goal at Palmerston.

Lyle scored an absolute scorcher against Ross County years ago. If it's the same one, it was a volley but he was more half way between the 18 yard box and the half way line. We went on to lose 3-2 after Colin Scott made an arse of it right at the death. I want to say John Rankin got the winner.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Lyle scored an absolute scorcher against Ross County years ago. If it's the same one, it was a volley but he was more half way between the 18 yard box and the half way line. We went on to lose 3-2 after Colin Scott made an arse of it right at the death. I want to say John Rankin got the winner.

I was thinking of one against Falkirk, when he'd outmuscled John Hughes who later got sent off with veins bulging in his red face.

3 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I’m old enough that McCann’s goal isn’t even the longest range goal I’ve seen at Palmerston. East Stirling goalie George Wood scored direct from a kick out on a very windy day back in the 70s. East Stirling won 5-4 from memory. Obviously McCann was actually trying to score, unlike the keeper. Need to give some thought to best ever goal at Palmerston.

I was at that game. Some pals and I spoke to the keeper at the dressing room door afterwards and asked him how it felt to score as a keeper. He replied "F*cking Magic". Long time ago that....

New signing are not going to happen right now for obvious reasons .

If we do get a new signing in surely they should be better than we have now rather than just sign someone to sit in the bench .

Look at Arbroath 2 loan signing straight in why sign them otherwise .

7 hours ago, The-coo-shed said:

I was trying to think of the best ever goal at Palmerston ........

Wow, where to start?  I've been watching Queens since 1971 and there's been plenty along the way.  Everyone will have their own favourites for varying reasons - my hero John Dempster and Ian Reid scored a few smashers as did Peter Dickson.  Dobbie aside (too many too recall) I remember a great wee Bob Harris acrobatic bullet header against Clyde I think it was in the 7-1 humping at Palmerston a few years back.  Also, although not actually a goal, for some reason I always remember Tommy O'Hara picking up the ball in his own half on the left wing by the main stand and sand-dancing through half the Raith team before putting it just past the post at the Portland road end with the keeper nowhere - never heard such applause for a miss before - what a talent T O'Hara had.

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
9 hours ago, The-coo-shed said:

Yeah that's one.

My other favourite was Sandy Hodge skinning the entire Clyde team and putting one in the bottom corner.

Said it on here before but the best goal I ever saw at Palmerston was when a fat, puffing Robert Prytz finishing his career at East Fife in the 90s turned and backheel volleyed a cross that was just behind him past David Mathieson from the edge of the box. I was standing roughly where the police box is and was right in line with the cross for a perfect view. Was incredible skill. 

It's an almost impossible question for me to answer as there will have been so many over the years, plus my memory is shocking.  But a couple of great goals that sprung to mind initially.

I can't place the Derek Lyle goal people are talking about, but the one it brought to mind was his goal against Falkirk during the infamous week we beat Hibs, Rangers then Falkirk on our way to the playoffs.  An exquisite finish.

I'm not even sure I witnessed Willie McLaren's solo goal in the flesh as I can't remember any of the details or even the opponent.  I've seen the video though, and it surely has to go down as one of the finest at Palmerston.  Certainly in the "solo goal" sub-category of great goals.

It is maybe one of those moments that has been glamourised in my head over the years as I don't think I've seen it again aside from seeing it live, but I remember thinking Colin McMenamin's consolation strike in the game we were unceremoniously dumped out of the Scottish Cup by Brechin was as good a strike as you will see, and that it was a real shame the result and performance would over shadow it.

It would be no exaggeration to say Dobbie could have a top 50 all on his own.  Every goal of his is a thing of beauty, I don't think he has ever scored an "ugly goal".

Opposition goals are even harder to pick as I quickly try and erase them from memory.  The only one that springs to mind is a Tony Andreu goal in the 3-2 Challenge Cup defeat in which we were 3-0 down to Dundee Utd at half time.  It probably won't be that memorable for other people I think I just had the perfect vantage point to appreciate it.  He caught the ball perfectly and I was directly behind it's path as it arrowed into the top corner.  Great technique.

3 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm not even sure I witnessed Willie McLaren's solo goal in the flesh as I can't remember any of the details or even the opponent.  I've seen the video though, and it surely has to go down as one of the finest at Palmerston.  Certainly in the "solo goal" sub-category of great goals.

McLaren's chip from the half way line over the keeper against Dunfermline(??) was something special too and definitely up there in the best I've seen at Palmerston.  He got a lot of stick for being lazy but he really was some player when he was in the mood.

Edited by Slipmat

McLaren's chip from the half way line over the keeper against Dunfermline(??) was something special too and definitely up there in the best I've seen at Palmerston.  He got a lot of stick for being lazy but he really was some player when he was in the mood.
He was an absolute waster of a player. He had bags and bags of potential as that (superb) goal demonstrated but he was extremely lazy and clearly had an attitude problem not to have made a decent go of it as a higher level. I thought that goal was against Ross County as well for some reason but could easily be wrong. It's certainly one of the best in recent times.

Said it on here before but the best goal I ever saw at Palmerston was when a fat, puffing Robert Prytz finishing his career at East Fife in the 90s turned and backheel volleyed a cross that was just behind him past David Mathieson from the edge of the box. I was standing roughly where the police box is and was right in line with the cross for a perfect view. Was incredible skill. 
3 week absence after the Galloway debacle, any thoughts?

2 hours ago, Brother Grimm said:
14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

3 week absence after the Galloway debacle, any thoughts?

Forgotten about....