The Queen of the South thread

21 minutes ago, football maniac said:

Will I still be able to watch yesterdays game back? Trying to log in but this message appears. image.thumb.png.54c505e8eeae793ceaf0dcae0389e950.png

Did you login first or go straight to the page? 

ETA - never mind, I think theres an issue with season ticket logins

Edited by Mr X

6 hours ago, Mr X said:

Should be working now

Thank you! Excellent all round once again. As for the game I was massively impressed by alot of aspects of our play. In midfield we look like we have finally found a balance that could work. Mckie has such ability on the ball! He never looks flustered and floated around the pitch providing wee cushion passes. Shields as everyone has already said was top notch! Not just his goals but also his work rate and the fact he was in the right position to miss even more chances. 

What a difference having pace up front makes, Shields pace and Pybus running power gives us an out ball with a threat at the end of a match particularly.

If we keep picking up points using Shields up top and Pybus in behind him in the centre of a middle 3 (in what looks like a 4-2-3-1 formation) it will be interesting to see where Dobbs fits in once he’s fit again.
Fitzpatrick would be the obvious one to drop out of the 11 on Dobbs return, as he’s not playing well at the moment, but this would probably mean putting Shields out wide and having Dobbs as lone striker, which doesn’t work that well imo.
If we look to play Dobbs & Shields up top in a 4-4-2 this could weaken the midfield area again, leaving us more vulnerable to attacks through the middle of the pitch.
Could we even consider using Dobbs as an impact sub if results continue to improve in the current formation?

If we keep picking up points using Shields up top and Pybus in behind him in the centre of a middle 3 (in what looks like a 4-2-3-1 formation) it will be interesting to see where Dobbs fits in once he’s fit again.
Fitzpatrick would be the obvious one to drop out of the 11 on Dobbs return, as he’s not playing well at the moment, but this would probably mean putting Shields out wide and having Dobbs as lone striker, which doesn’t work that well imo.
If we look to play Dobbs & Shields up top in a 4-4-2 this could weaken the midfield area again, leaving us more vulnerable to attacks through the middle of the pitch.
Could we even consider using Dobbs as an impact sub if results continue to improve in the current formation?

For me, we can’t change the way we’re playing at moment even for dobbie now, never thought I’d say that. A nice headache to have though.

18 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

This.   Shields as main striker is a must for me, so Fitzpatrick would have to be benched to accommodate Dobbs.

Incidentally three of our four wins this season have been in games that Dobbie hasn't featured in.

Edited by Slipmat

This.   Shields as main striker is a must for me, so Fitzpatrick would have to be benched to accommodate Dobbs.
Incidentally three of our four wins this season have been in games that Dobbie hasn't featured in.

And how are we shaping up with that 🤷🏽‍♂️?

The threat of Fitzpatrick being dropped might make him up his game at least. I don't like Dobbie out wide or as a lone striker but if we manage to keep winning it's hard to argue for changing a winning team. As I said already, the wins are a team effort but Fitzpatrick would probably be the current favourite to be dropped for Dobbie at this moment.

Had high hopes for Fitzpatrick but he really has under performed. Needs either a break or a step down if he can’t up his game.
We can't drop him just now though. You'd imagine Harry Robinson would be the contender but he seems to be in the squad one week and disappears the next. The same with Joseph.

5 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Gavin Reilly on his way back to Palmerston?

Carlisle manager's quote suggests he could be....

“An opportunity presented itself to allow him to go into an environment where he’s consistently done well and scored goals, and by doing the same again he will set himself into a good position for future seasons."

Reilly mentioned being close to home as a major factor in signing for Carlisle in the first place. He's been unlucky there, worked hard and got himself in great positions regularly, but narrowly missed most of them, then found himself on the bench with an in form team ahead of him.

Would be typical though, desperately need defenders and sign a striker.

It's hard to imagine that quote could refer to any other side. Possibly St Mirren?

CB has to be our priority but like was being discussed yesterday, if we brought in someone like Reilly it would surely make the other forwards up their game as there will be competition. AJ having Buchanan as captain in Dobbie's absence suggests he maybe rates him higher than us as well.