The Queen of the South thread

56 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I wonder if the opposition to fan representation on the board - a club position that actually had plenty of support on here - will continue.

I don't think fan representation on the board is workable given the current board seem so opposed to it and as you say it wasn't a hugely popular idea aside from the people pursuing it.

I'm not overly convinced by a total fan ownership model either, but it would be churlish to rule it out.

My view remains that "business-people" are best suited to running a football club, particularly one like ours with such a precarious financial position.  However, we are obviously seeing what happens when the sole focus is business at the expense of everything else.

It's a tricky one for sure, I certainly don't have the answers.

36 minutes ago, Mr X said:

You believe wrong, the SLO are not the COVID officers. They do volunteer to do COVID checks at one of the entrances, which is mainly for the press. There are at least 2 other entrances in use (possibly three) which will have their own separate lists.

Okay well apologies on that one, last thing we need is false information getting spread but I did make it clear I wasn't completely sure.

I'm not sure what would be a better outcome for the club.  If the names of "the Galloway five" appear on one of these other lists then at least we followed some of the COVID protocols, albeit the club would still need to justify them being there.  If they aren't on the lists then I would expect the book to be thrown at us.

Could it be that Queens got the dates of the tier 4 restrictions wrong? Maybe thought it was at midnight at the end of Boxing Day?

If this was the case, they’d have expected other fans (hence the ballot applications when they were in tier 1). So, no I don’t think this is the case at all.

Guest 4RedCards
1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I wonder if the opposition to fan representation on the board - a club position that actually had plenty of support on here - will continue.

Oh it certainly will !!!! Expect the usual let’s move on statements from the usual forelock tuggers. Police Scotland and Iain Livingstone reach a new low in my eyes, Policing by public consent - not in this instance you lickspittles!

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

Edited by 4RedCards

I believe our SLO committee are the COVID officers and oversee who enters the ground.  They have a list, if your names not down you're not getting in etc. and they take temperatures and whatever else the current situation requires.
One of the SLOs, who I have absolutely no reason to doubt, posted yesterday that there was no mention of Galloway (or his family for that matter, although I don't think their attendance was known at that point) on "the list".
If the above is true, and like I say I fully believe it is, then whoever invited Galloway as their guest knew that what they were doing was wrong, but cracked on anyway.
Incidentally I am feeling pretty heartbroken for the SLO Committee right now.  I know all of them and from a supporters perspective you couldn't ask for better men for the job.  Well liked, well known, highly approachable and hugely passionate about the club.  What is expected of them is an absolutely thankless task.  Expecting them to drum up extra support for a club that doesn't give a flying f**k about their supporters.  They have put a power of work into the past few years (not sure how long the SLO requirement has been in force but from day 1 of that anyway), and for what? Countless hours and days worth of work dissipated.
Whilst I would consider myself a fairly "big" Queens fan (certainly a longstanding one as this is my 26th season following them), I am by no means a diehard.  As I had all but given up on the club of late I have been able to take a certain macabre enjoyment out of the last day or so's proceedings.  It is such a laughable situation I'd find it impossible not to.  Also there is a certain satisfaction in seeing some dislikeable characters get their comeuppance (granted that is yet to happen).
Obviously there is a very serious side to this as well, in addition to the public health implications.  The club means so much to a lot of people, and is a major part of their lives.  To be betrayed in such a fashion all for the sake of boosting the finances and ego of a very selfish group of individuals is absolutely galling.
There simply has to be change after this episode.

Post of the year for me [emoji1319][emoji170]

4 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I don't think fan representation on the board is workable given the current board seem so opposed to it and as you say it wasn't a hugely popular idea aside from the people pursuing it.

Just to point out that the board don't get to decide who is added to the board, it's a shareholder decision. The reason it's been blocked in the past is because 2 or 3 families holding most of the shares have opposed it. The same families have also provided a lot of directors in the past so easy to get confused. But I think it means a large enough groundswell of opinion, and/or adverse financial impacts on the business, could potentially make things happen regardless of the board's opinion.

Don't disagree with you that a fans rep will be difficult to achieve, though, and also that generally business people have the skills needed to run a club. A good model I think is Chairman, various directors with specific qualifications and responsibilities (Financial Director, Operations Director, etc), and then 1 or 2 fans reps with board voting rights. Perhaps basing some operations in the central belt to attract a wider pool of candidates.

Right now it looks like we've just got three local businessmen doing as they think best, with no specific qualifications, responsibilities or even plans. Whether that's accurate or just due to a lack of transparency, I don't know.

1 minute ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Police Scotland say “No Further Action” re : QoS.

Hard one for GG to take, no day in court

This was never going to go to court.  How many breaches do you see reported in the paper each week?

The pub along the road from me received a warning for serving someone inside, when it should have been take away service only in May/June.

The police usually give a warning to all those involved and that’s it.  The FM probably got one last week. For some reason folk have taken the hump about that, when I alluded to it last night. Strange, but never mind.

No, the SPFL will be the ones dishing out the punishment and rightly so.

That said, the damage that has been done to the club’s reputation, particularly at a local level, could be more costly than the fine.

Could it be that Queens got the dates of the tier 4 restrictions wrong? Maybe thought it was at midnight at the end of Boxing Day?
They knew what they were doing but on a side note, the local radio station announced on two separate occasions the other day that restrictions came into place on Boxing Day at midnight.

3 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

This was never going to go to court.  How many breaches do you see reported in the paper each week?

The pub along the road from me received a warning for serving someone inside, when it should have been take away service only in May/June.

The police usually give a warning to all those involved and that’s it.  The FM probably got one last week. For some reason folk have taken the hump about that, when I alluded to it last night. Strange, but never mind.

No, the SPFL will be the ones dishing out the punishment and rightly so.

That said, the damage that has been done to the club’s reputation, particularly at a local level, could be more costly than the fine.

Yes, the police were never going to take proper action here, but the very fact that they've offered the standard reminder, confirms that rules were breached and there's little in mitigation.

It's now up to the football authorities to decide what happens. We've no option but to take our medicine.

37 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I think it’s highly unlikely that those in positions of power didn’t know the rules. As far as I can see, someone at the club weighed up the covid restrictions and PR implications, and decided ‘f**k it, just let them in, it’ll be fine’.

29 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm not overly convinced by a total fan ownership model either, but it would be churlish to rule it out.

My view remains that "business-people" are best suited to running a football club, particularly one like ours with such a precarious financial position.  However, we are obviously seeing what happens when the sole focus is business at the expense of everything else.

It's a tricky one for sure, I certainly don't have the answers.

I don't have the answers either, but the arguments against were pretty unconvincing.

A major one seemed to centre on "what's the point of having a fan rep on board? What might they add?"  I think an answer has maybe just been provided.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't have the answers either, but the arguments against were pretty unconvincing.

A major one seemed to centre on "what's the point of having a fan rep on board? What might they add?"  I think an answer has maybe just been provided.

I'm not sure a fan on the board would have made the slightest jot of a difference to this situation.  Someone has been pretty hellbent on allowing something incredibly daft to happen I'm not sure anyone could have stopped that.

Just now, palmy_cammy said:

I'm not sure a fan on the board would have made the slightest jot of a difference to this situation.  Someone has been pretty hellbent on allowing something incredibly daft to happen I'm not sure anyone could have stopped that.

Even resigning in disgust would have some value.

1 minute ago, palmy_cammy said:

Not if you have the casting vote.