The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, G-MAN said:

Those on the board are business owners.

Dumfries went from Tier 1 to Tier 4.

Are we honestly meant to believe they were confused by the rules ?

I still have a lot of time for Queens and go to Palmerston whenever I am down but knowing the Blount’s and Hewitson - naive is not a word Id associate with them.

So what's the theory?

The club colluded with him in this?  What outcome were they actually hoping for?

Genuinely struggling to get my head round the QOS board or board members decision here. They must have know this breached the Tier 4 rules as they’re pretty clear at that level of who can attend. They also must have known Galloway has been publicly flouting or trying to appear to flout Covid rules only a week ago in his usual lame political stunts to try and bash the Scottish Government. What did they expect to happen here George to quietly watch the game and not mention it while giving the club a few quid. Naive or stupid and I’m not sure which is worse. I just feel sorry for the Queens fans who’ve been throwing money at the club in a difficult time when they’re struggling on and off the pitch and now are having the clubs good name dragged through the political mud by an absolute shyster of a man.

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

Galloway’s assertion that he was invited by the club flies in the face of any suggestion he and his family just got lucky in the season ticket ballot.  

I don't think there is any suggestion of that though. 

It's long established that there was no ballot, as numbers applying didn't require one.

1 hour ago, G-MAN said:

The evidence of probability.

So you think Galloway’s tweets all week and the end result of him being at a game in D&G is a coincidence ?

Really ?

Knowing certain board members there is absolutely no chance they would be stupid or naive enough to just think “let him in and hope he doesn’t say anything”

It’s George F*cking Galloway.

They are complicit because they let him in. Why is it that difficult to understand.

Jesus wept.

Allowing someone to attend a football game does not automatically mean they "facilitated a political stunt"

You're assuming collusion and dismissing naivety far too readily

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

This endless and hysterical thread.  Suggestion was that demand for tickets to what was originally a tier 1 Boxing Day game was very low, meaning any season ticket holder that applied would likely have got a ticket.  Never seemed that convincing an explanation, but Galloway seems to have confirmed he was invited.

I must be missing something.

Everyone who entered the ballot would have got a ticket.

Galloway was invited by the club separately. 

The two arent connected

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I’ve known him since he was 12 and I don’t remember him ever being a Dee. He was a United fan at the start of secondary school.

The manager in my work says they were at school together and would go to Dens. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Tbh I hope he never was!

12 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Genuinely struggling to get my head round the QOS board or board members decision here. They must have know this breached the Tier 4 rules as they’re pretty clear at that level of who can attend. They also must have known Galloway has been publicly flouting or trying to appear to flout Covid rules only a week ago in his usual lame political stunts to try and bash the Scottish Government. What did they expect to happen here George to quietly watch the game and not mention it while giving the club a few quid. Naive or stupid and I’m not sure which is worse. I just feel sorry for the Queens fans who’ve been throwing money at the club in a difficult time when they’re struggling on and off the pitch and now are having the clubs good name dragged through the political mud by an absolute shyster of a man.

Tbh I don't follow politics and I had no idea Galloway had been publicly flouting the Covid rules or that he was still a rampant attention seeker. I had actually forgot he existed until this sorry episode. I was particularly surprised to learn of his move to the right, unionism and Twitter holocaust remembrance.

8 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Perhaps Allan Johnston can give the next statement explaining why this is all the fault of the players.

You would think making provision for a potentially hefty fine would impact our January transfer budget.

I used to listen to Galloway’s talk show just for the folk that were on the wind. He was always on guard with the “dump the call” button, so much so that even legitimate callers no doubt got punted. It needed someone with real guile to construct a yarn in such a way as to give nothing away until the punchline, and a further 5 seconds for it to be worked out.

No doubt the QoS fellow who okay’d George getting in, is feeling similarly duped.

27 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't think there is any suggestion of that though. 

It's long established that there was no ballot, as numbers applying didn't require one.

My point was the suggestion that Galloway simply obtained a ticket through legitimate means that were open to any other season ticket holders.  Obviously if the number who applied was less than the number available, there’d be no need for a ballot as such.  Galloway, however, has indicated he was specifically invited to the match by the directors.  Unless all Queens fans get individual invites  to matches...

SFA looking to charge QotS now according to some reports. All to facilitate George Galloway's ego and bank account.

Queens' fans should  be furious about this. Bottom of the league and a possible points deduction?

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm not sure I've read anywhere 'mainstream' suggesting that QoS will be in bother up until now.

If so, then The Guardian are the ones now pushing that angle:

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/28/george-galloway-trip-to-queen-of-the-south-set-to-end-in-charge-for-club-scottish-football?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium=&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Yes, that's the first 'official' publication that I've seen which sets the breach out with such clarity. Last night's BBC piece frustratingly failed to.

It really doesn't look from that as if we've much of a leg to stand on.

Abject humiliation, to be followed by deserved punishment.

25 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Tbh I don't follow politics and I had no idea Galloway had been publicly flouting the Covid rules or that he was still a rampant attention seeker. I had actually forgot he existed until this sorry episode. I was particularly surprised to learn of his move to the right, unionism and Twitter holocaust remembrance.

You would think making provision for a potentially hefty fine would impact our January transfer budget.

That's him.

He was on Sinn Fein telly a few years ago praising the IRA but is now sharing a stage with Farage and defending 'the British state'. To say he was two-faced would be an understatement.

5 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

SFA looking to charge QotS now according to some reports. All to facilitate George Galloway's ego and bank account.

Queens' fans should  be furious about this. Bottom of the league and a possible points deduction?

I doubt it, a points deduction seems nonsensical they gained no advantage on the park from GG being in attendance. A points deduction should really be reserved for financial doping/impropriety or sporting impropriety.

A hefty fine I'd imagine would be appropriate with a chunk of it suspended. I'm not sure if action could be taken against the Chairman (assuming it was Hewitson's decision) specifically by the football authorities. That could be a possibility. 

Pure speculation on my part but a points deduction doesn't seem appropriate or proportionate.