The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This season feels altogether different to the Gus one for various reasons.

I don't know about others, but I feel that my wider interest in football has waned a bit this year.  Without crowds, it just seems to matter less, but maybe that's just me.

The side under Gus, allthough hopeless, was nowhere near as bad as this one.  We were competitive in most games, but usually came away losing or drawing, with a particular habit of conceding important late goals.  This team, however, is usually dead and buried by half time.  We are routinely shipping 3 or 4 goals and have that general air of being in completely the wrong division.

It's really hard to care right now, because any emotional investment just feels pointless, as any hope is being snuffed out so early and so comprehensively each week.

I'm with you here, this team are just hopeless, comfortably the worst in my 20 years watching Queens. Without the opportunity to vent at the game on a Saturday, it's really hard to find the motivation to engage with it.

9 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Yes. The club seems to have rolled the red carpet out for him, which is more embarrassing than the team at the moment.

And shit like this doesn't help. What the f**k are the club up to?

I think Gus at least acknowledged we were really poor and tried to make us stuffy and hard to beat.  Obviously it didn't work, and the problem with such a strategy is as soon as you go a goal down your plan A is gone and we didn't really have the ability to successfully apply a plan B.  We were at least competitive in some games under Macpherson, not least when drawing at Pittodrie.  I wouldn't trust Allan Johnston to drive to Aberdeen unassisted, never mind picking up a result there.

I find it hard to show any interest in an organisation that thought it was acceptable to have 3 signed defenders on the books, it really is brexit levels of self-harm and surely the worst decision our club have ever made.

Oh wait... 🙄

1 minute ago, 101 said:

You let a man who came up from England into your ground are you now thinking of new reasons to get your club fined.

I'm not defending him as I don't agree with him being allowed into the game. But he's not travelled up from England to go to the game, apparently he's moved here. 

Just now, FrankReynolds said:

I'm not defending him as I don't agree with him being allowed into the game. But he's not travelled up from England to go to the game, apparently he's moved here. 

He publicly drove between countries when such activities were banned it matters not if he did it or not to attend a game of football it's that you let a man with a huge public presence into your ground either without checking or in the knowledge that he broke the rules before arriving. It would be the same if he had traveled from abroad and didn't do his 10 day quarantine and it was public knowledge he didn't then again you are just begging the SPFL to slap you with a fine.

On what possible basis might he have been allowed in?  Is it absolutely certain that he was?

Some discretion must exist regarding people fulfilling roles for the club, as well as media etc, but I can't conceive of how that might extend to allow for him.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

14 minutes ago, 101 said:

He publicly drove between countries when such activities were banned it matters not if he did it or not to attend a game of football it's that you let a man with a huge public presence into your ground either without checking or in the knowledge that he broke the rules before arriving. It would be the same if he had traveled from abroad and didn't do his 10 day quarantine and it was public knowledge he didn't then again you are just begging the SPFL to slap you with a fine.

Was he not moving house at the time? Is that now allowed? Genuine question.

Like I said, if he did attend the game then I think it's stupid that he was allowed in. He's put a picture up of him being outside the arena and then another of the pitch from inside the ground which does look like he was in. But there is a possibility he could have got that second picture from somewhere which made it look like he was. 

16 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

On what possible basis might he have been allowed in?  Is it absolutely certain that he was?

Some discretion must exist regarding people fulfilling roles for the club, as well as media etc, but I can't conceive of how that might extend to allow for him.

Other than media, there's no other reason why he should be there. But I've read he wasn't on a list of people allowed in and didn't get his temperature checked and covid form filled out. That post has now been deleted so don't know how reliable it is. 

There's no certainty he was in, only the pictures he put on social media which made it look like he was. 

Was he not moving house at the time? Is that now allowed? Genuine question.
Like I said, if he did attend the game then I think it's stupid that he was allowed in. He's put a picture up of him being outside the arena and then another of the pitch from inside the ground which does look like he was in. But there is a possibility he could have got that second picture from somewhere which made it look like he was. 
He tweeted the other day saying Queens were his local side so must have moved. Chancer will have a media pass or something. Doesn't he work for Russia today or some such?

57 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This season feels altogether different to the Gus one for various reasons.

I don't know about others, but I feel that my wider interest in football has waned a bit this year.  Without crowds, it just seems to matter less, but maybe that's just me.

The side under Gus, allthough hopeless, was nowhere near as bad as this one.  We were competitive in most games, but usually came away losing or drawing, with a particular habit of conceding important late goals.  This team, however, is usually dead and buried by half time.  We are routinely shipping 3 or 4 goals and have that general air of being in completely the wrong division.

It's really hard to care right now, because any emotional investment just feels pointless, as any hope is being snuffed out so early and so comprehensively each week.

After 9 games, the Gus team had 8 points and a goal difference of minus 3 (9 for 12 against).
This shower have 4 points and a goal difference of minus 15 (10 for 25 against). 
So they have half the points total, have scored one more goal and have conceded 13 more.

In the games we have lost (which have been to all 7 of the full-time sides) the longest we have held out before going behind is 40 minutes. The shortest is less than 1 minute. The average is 18 minutes. The numbers are - 1, 12, 12, 19, 20, 20 and 40. (I have taken a goal conceded in, say 21 mins as meaning we held out for 20 mins).
Results against the 7 full-time teams P7 W0 D0 L7  7 goals scored 24 conceded, so conceding an average of 3.43 per game

14 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

To be a succsefull manager with little money you need to be able to improve young players and be a good man manager unfortunately AJ is neither.... 

How did he manage to bring us so much success and provide the most exciting brand of football I have seen in my 50 plus years going to Palmerston, last time around ?

19 minutes ago, Flash said:

After 9 games, the Gus team had 8 points and a goal difference of minus 3 (9 for 12 against).
This shower have 4 points and a goal difference of minus 15 (10 for 25 against). 
So they have half the points total, have scored one more goal and have conceded 13 more.

In the games we have lost (which have been to all 7 of the full-time sides) the longest we have held out before going behind is 40 minutes. The shortest is less than 1 minute. The average is 18 minutes. The numbers are - 1, 12, 12, 19, 20, 20 and 40. (I have taken a goal conceded in, say 21 mins as meaning we held out for 20 mins).
Results against the 7 full-time teams P7 W0 D0 L7  7 goals scored 24 conceded, so conceding an average of 3.43 per game

Sterling work Flash.

My recollection of the Gus season is that we were seldom hammered, but obviously rarely won.  An exception was a home game against Falkirk which I think we contrived to lose 5-1.  I don't think that was typical though.

I also remember a February week (the one when Rangers entered administration incidentally) in which we lost last minute equalisers in league games with Ayr and Dundee, either side of losing a late winner against Aberdeen in the Cup.  I'm not sure if losing late goals was generally a feature, but I remember those being costly at the time, particularly the Ayr one.

Go on - provide some more comparative stats during these troubled times.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Yep pretty clear from this Twitter thread that he was an invited guest of the club https://twitter.com/EuanMaxwell93/status/1343172205216215040

image.png.653bfbc4e3939a6da9d7f6daa356e0a0.png

Not that my support was really amounting to much these days anyway, but I will certainly be stepping back my support from the club until there are big changes at all levels of the management of the club.  Absolutely rotten to the core at present.  I don't think the board could be more detached from the fans if they tried.