The Queen of the South thread

20 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

AJ is certainly living a charmed life the now.... Any of our previous managers would have been shown the door weeks ago..... 

A J will be here to the end of his contract in May next year we just don't have the money to sack him .

Would a new manager make any difference with our budget it is a very difficult job.

Scotland were a disorganised and disinterested rabble under Alex McLeish. Under Steve Clark they are now a well drilled unit, playing for each other, in a system that gets the best out of them, and where each player knows what their job is.

The players are still mostly mediocre, but it shows the importance of good management and coaching.

Or you could draw on the literally thousands of other examples where replacing a shit manager with a good one has brought an upturn in fortunes.

26 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

True enough. We're don't tend to go in for mob demonstrations with ropes and pitchforks outside the ground but I think that's more to do with Queens' fans' mindset that we're not a big club which has a right to be successful,  it's not as if watching poor teams and struggling against relegation is uncommon. Apart from a few grumbling shouts from fans and moaning on sites like this,  we tend to,  by and large, accept what we're given, or as you say,  just drift away rarely to return. I suppose Johnston in his defence would say he's had to build two new squads in two seasons on a small budget and it was especially difficult this season being furloughed at a time when players should have been looked at. Is that a good enough reason to give him more time to try and get things sorted, only the BoD can answer that and they may be more concerned at this time with saving money and not splashing out on pay-offs. I suppose as the (shortened) season progresses they will have to stand up and decide if possible relegation will be worth saving cash against keeping on a struggling manager. 

Agree about the mindset. 
Johnston does have the defence of a small budget. But part of the reason for it being small is due to the cup results last season which were of his own making. I also wonder what the hell the squad would be like if we didn’t have the Dykes money. Maybe it hasn’t come through yet. Perhaps this season would have been the right time to go part-time. It isn’t as if we are doing ok after scraping the full-time barrel. And results in the league under Johnston against the part-timers are P7 W1 D3 L3. In the cups against lower league opposition it is P4 W1 D1 L2.

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

Agree about the mindset. 
Johnston does have the defence of a small budget. But part of the reason for it being small is due to the cup results last season which were of his own making. I also wonder what the hell the squad would be like if we didn’t have the Dykes money. Maybe it hasn’t come through yet. Perhaps this season would have been the right time to go part-time. It isn’t as if we are doing ok after scraping the full-time barrel. And results in the league under Johnston against the part-timers are P7 W1 D3 L3. In the cups against lower league opposition it is P4 W1 D1 L2.

We should have a mix of full and part time players .

Raith do that it seems to be working for them.

The full time players they have train Monday and Friday through the day then a Tuesday and Thursday night with the part time players they have .

This we must be 100 % full time I just don't get especially now most players at our level are looking to go part time we could offer players both .

On the manager thing can we get any better than AJ who would want to manage a struggling Queens 

32 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

We should have a mix of full and part time players .

Raith do that it seems to be working for them.

The full time players they have train Monday and Friday through the day then a Tuesday and Thursday night with the part time players they have .

This we must be 100 % full time I just don't get especially now most players at our level are looking to go part time we could offer players both .

On the manager thing can we get any better than AJ who would want to manage a struggling Queens 

I'm sure there wouldn't be a shortage of Mugs  Managers applying for the job. Where the problem arises is depending on the BoD to appoint the right one. They might need to loosen the purse strings a bit to offer a better salary for the right man (or woman) but if they want to stay full time in this division they'll have to show a bit of ambition. 

I think I am right in saying we are only 4 games into the new season.  It seems some people think we are in November in a normal season and still haven't won a game.

What a lot of negativity !

From the games I have seen we have a much better squad than last season and have a pacy attacking threat in line with the AJ philosophy. No hiding from the fact that defending needs to improve - if these players didn't make mistakes they wouldn't be with us.  It's not just us , it happens at other levels too just ask Neil Lennon !

It's all part of football but of course we want our team to do well all the time  just as supporters of every other team want theirs to do well too but it's just not possible for all of us at the same time.

I have seen enough positivity so far to suggest we can compete in the Division but it will be very tight as it always is.

All this talk about when we last won a game is irrelevant.  Last season is gone and did not complete normally so let's move on and concentrate on this one although, sadly, I can see this one being disrupted too due to the times in which we are living.  Kind of puts things in perspective.

12 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I think I am right in saying we are only 4 games into the new season.  It seems some people think we are in November in a normal season and still haven't won a game.

What a lot of negativity !

From the games I have seen we have a much better squad than last season and have a pacy attacking threat in line with the AJ philosophy. No hiding from the fact that defending needs to improve - if these players didn't make mistakes they wouldn't be with us.  It's not just us , it happens at other levels too just ask Neil Lennon !

It's all part of football but of course we want our team to do well all the time  just as supporters of every other team want theirs to do well too but it's just not possible for all of us at the same time.

I have seen enough positivity so far to suggest we can compete in the Division but it will be very tight as it always is.

All this talk about when we last won a game is irrelevant.  Last season is gone and did not complete normally so let's move on and concentrate on this one although, sadly, I can see this one being disrupted too due to the times in which we are living.  Kind of puts things in perspective.

Talk of when we last won a game is not irrelevant because although it is different players it is the same manager. You can’t ignore the record from a previous season just because it suits. Had the season been completed, there is little doubt we would currently be in League 1, although that can’t be proved, obviously. Had we done really well last season, people would be well within their right to use it in support of Johnston. 
The same failings as before are there. It isn’t about players making mistakes. It is about players not doing enough.  Whether this is down to coaching or recruitment, the responsibility lies with the manager.
And I think we can all count up to 4. We don’t need to be reminded that the season didn’t start in July. For the record, this is the worst start to a league season since 2011 when Gus was in charge. 

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

There really isn’t a single argument that can be made for keeping him.

The only possible reason is that we simply can’t afford the outlay of paying him off and hiring someone else. But if finances really are so tight that makes it even more galling that a large chunk of our income is going into the pockets of Johnston and Clark. One a complete dud, the other a complete arsehole.

My interest in the club dwindles with every day they remain in charge.

Not posted on here for a while but to add my tuppence worth.

I think Allan Johnston can consider himself lucky that last season was curtailed.  Had it been allowed to run to its natural conclusion there is no doubt in my mind he would been relieved of his duties, following a below par performance in the role.  At present I see very little reasoning for keeping him other than the obvious financial aspect.  On the flip side however, we have the obvious question of who would we bring in to replace him?  I am sure there would be no shortage of applicants, we are dependent on the Board however to make the right choice.  Recent seasons would suggest that poor choices have been made.

In conclusion I can only see a long (albeit shortened) season of struggle ahead.  We are poor in defence and midfield.  Big improvement needed.

3 tough away games in that.  Far too early to judge.  
Arbroath away is one of the easier away games we'll have this season and we still failed to pick up 3 points. It really isn't far too early to judge either. We have better individuals in this squad to last year but even this early on it's clear to see we will be right down the bottom again. No amount of positivity can cover up the reality.

You can debate if a change of management will improve your results, but that’s highly unlikely with the players at QoS. The recruitment in the summer was remarkably bad, I wouldn’t back your board to select a competent manager, not if it’s anything like the player recruitment. 

1 hour ago, Messi Scott said:

You can debate if a change of management will improve your results, but that’s highly unlikely with the players at QoS. The recruitment in the summer was remarkably bad, I wouldn’t back your board to select a competent manager, not if it’s anything like the player recruitment. 

Can you just f**k off now, please? We get the fucking point.

2 hours ago, Messi Scott said:

The constant drivel and s***e you post is incredible.

He has now fucked off
The next reincarnation will be along in a week or so with less of a car crash approach, I expect patter along the lines of "I've been watching your results this season and it looks like you guys are struggling. Do you think AJ did a good job in the transfer market or do you think you will go down?".

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Mr X said:
He has now fucked off

The next reincarnation will be along in a week or so with less of a car crash approach, I expect patter along the lines of "I've been watching your results this season and it looks like you guys are struggling. Do you think AJ did a good job in the transfer market or do you think you will go down?".

No, and yes. 

Scotland were a disorganised and disinterested rabble under Alex McLeish. Under Steve Clark they are now a well drilled unit, playing for each other, in a system that gets the best out of them, and where each player knows what their job is.
The players are still mostly mediocre, but it shows the importance of good management and coaching.
Or you could draw on the literally thousands of other examples where replacing a shit manager with a good one has brought an upturn in fortunes.
Like when Johnston replaced MacPherson...

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

On what basis?

Mods don’t have to give a reason. From the Forum Rules -
“Users may also be banned without notice or explanation from the team if we feel it is in the best interests of P&B.”