The Queen of the South thread

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I actually think there's an emerging consensus on what we should call him.

There is - “former Queens manager”.

3 hours ago, Flash said:

16 games without a win.
13 league games without a win - 3 points out of 39. 
6 home league defeats in a row, something no previous manager has achieved.
10 goals conceded in the 3 league games so far. 

But can you beat Brechin’s record...no wins and 4 points in a season? I will say that I think the ability to score and get closer that you’ve shown so far shows you aren’t as bad as it seems. One day soon you’ll hit the right team at the wrong time for them.

My mate told me at the start of the season Queens would be lucky to get 10 points!!!! I thought he had been smoking the funny fags but my god this is looking likely with this management team... Also I take it Goss ain’t going to get a chance how many mins is that now? Give the local lad a chance he can’t do any worse than what’s on show 

5 hours ago, Flash said:

16 games without a win.
13 league games without a win - 3 points out of 39. 
6 home league defeats in a row, something no previous manager has achieved.
10 goals conceded in the 3 league games so far. 

Not great reading..... 

You happy to face 27 games with 3 signed defenders? 

Take it from this you think it isn't his fault? 

Jeez

It was a joke around the use of the PMs name Johnson when describing our manager who is called Johnston. It’s a puerile joke but I’d thought the intention would be obvious to everybody. It would seem not. I’m frankly astonished that you could somehow contrive that to mean I was expressing support for Johnston (manager of QOS) in any way.

My mate told me at the start of the season Queens would be lucky to get 10 points!!!! I thought he had been smoking the funny fags but my god this is looking likely with this management team... Also I take it Goss ain’t going to get a chance how many mins is that now? Give the local lad a chance he can’t do any worse than what’s on show 
Odd re Goss. Manager seems to see something in East - unsure what though...

11 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:
12 hours ago, oldbeforetime said:

Odd re Goss. Manager seems to see something in East - unsure what though...

To be fair the biggest problems are in defence not attack, Queens are scoring goals its the number they are conceding that's the problem. A good team builds from the back, If you don't concede you don't lose..  Queens are defending very poorly but with only 3 defenders in the squad the can't make any changes. 🤦‍♂️

3 League games in =

Goals for 5, Goals against 10.. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

BBC stats so may not be reliable but should be consistent.
McCrorie in goal plus pre-January defence - average shots on target per game = 4.5. Conversion rate = 24.7%.
Stewart in goal plus post January defence - average shots on target per game = 5. Conversion rate = 42.2%.
Ferguson in goal plus current defence - average shots on target per game = 6.3. Conversion rate = 52.6%.

Now, the last one is only from 3 games, so the sample size is not big enough. But the early indications are that we are allowing 40% more shots on target than this time last season. And the rate those chances have been converted to goals has increased by 113% from McCrorie’s time. And 25% from Stewart’s time.
So, the defeding and goalkeeping would appear to be the problem. Unless the opposition in the first three games are not representative of the league as a whole. Or the chances given up have been really easy to convert. In which case only the defending has deteriorated hugely. 

Going forward we look alot better this season. Fitzpatrick has been a great addition and we have made other good additions such as Shields and Maxwell. Gibson if anything looks better than he was 5 years ago. East and McGrory have shown potential. Nortey looks tidy on the ball. Ferguson looks an upgrade on Stewart. We just need to iron out our defensive issues, but what we have is a young team with a sprinkling of experience looking to play attacking football. Naysmith set out not to lose and the football we played under him was beyond awful. Give this young team a chance! 

Going forward we look alot better this season. Fitzpatrick has been a great addition and we have made other good additions such as Shields and Maxwell. Gibson if anything looks better than he was 5 years ago. East and McGrory have shown potential. Nortey looks tidy on the ball. Ferguson looks an upgrade on Stewart. We just need to iron out our defensive issues, but what we have is a young team with a sprinkling of experience looking to play attacking football. Naysmith set out not to lose and the football we played under him was beyond awful. Give this young team a chance! 

Regardless the position we find ourselves in this season, we can’t be gifting goals the way we are and it’s the ‘experienced’ ones that are doing it or we’re going to become detached very early in the season. Next 2/3 games are absolutely huge already

Why did Buchanan go off did he have a injury or just very poor again .

He has been my biggest disappointment really thought we had got a really good centre back.

Fans of clubs he had been at said he was poor they are now being proved right he just does not defend always blaming others for his mistakes .

7 minutes ago, football maniac said:

We don't have time to give the young team a chance we could be isolated at the bottom before the end of the month .

How can the defence get sorted when we only have 3 defenders we should have got at least 2 in on loan change the defence it is obvious that the defence just now is  not good enough .

Now we have the same defence giving goals away I really can't see how we can win a game of football unless a couple of free agents that are defenders suddenly appear at Palmerston

10 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Why did Buchanan go off did he have a injury or just very poor again .

He has been my biggest disappointment really thought we had got a really good centre back.

Fans of clubs he had been at said he was poor they are now being proved right he just does not defend always blaming others for his mistakes .

Wouldn't be a bad thing if he was injured. Surely then we'd bring in a free agent to slot in at the back. 

I think Buchanan is dreadful but wouldn't wish him to get an injury. It would just twist the manager and boards arm a bit to get someone else in.

2 hours ago, Flash said:

BBC stats so may not be reliable but should be consistent.
McCrorie in goal plus pre-January defence - average shots on target per game = 4.5. Conversion rate = 24.7%.
Stewart in goal plus post January defence - average shots on target per game = 5. Conversion rate = 42.2%.
Ferguson in goal plus current defence - average shots on target per game = 6.3. Conversion rate = 52.6%.

Now, the last one is only from 3 games, so the sample size is not big enough. But the early indications are that we are allowing 40% more shots on target than this time last season. And the rate those chances have been converted to goals has increased by 113% from McCrorie’s time. And 25% from Stewart’s time.
So, the defeding and goalkeeping would appear to be the problem. Unless the opposition in the first three games are not representative of the league as a whole. Or the chances given up have been really easy to convert. In which case only the defending has deteriorated hugely. 

I didn’t watch yesterday but against Raith Rovers our midfield was absolutely non existent and our “full-backs” were all over the place. So whilst Ayo and Buchanan didn’t cover themselves in glory, in their defence they were having to try and deal with 4 or 5 opposition attackers by themselves. This sort of generosity will lead to more shots on goal from the opposition.

Ayo and Buchanan look to be a worse pairing than the Brownlie/Kilday partnership we started last season with, and unfortunately anyone was likely to be worse than McCrorie, although so far Ferguson doesn’t look to be Stewart levels of shit so there is a bit of hope there.

A repeating theme over both Johnston seasons though has been his inability to sort the midfield. We haven’t really replaced Jacobs, and even he wasn’t that great a player. We at least have some natural width this year but until the middle of the park tighten up we are always going to be up against it.