The Queen of the South thread

You got some agenda against Maxwell? 

I need to see goals back but I don’t think Maxwell was on Miller. At second goal I thought it was Robinson or McKee.

Hugely frustrating not to take anything from today. I thought we done well on the whole. The obvious set piece problem needs worked on, the rest of our play etc is decent. I actually feel generally quite comfortable during games that were not going to concede in normal play. Still not seeing what Robinson brings to the fold, and East didn’t look right today. Was crying out for shields today I thought but obviously something up with him.

Big one next week, need a win under our belts ASAP

2 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

I need to see goals back but I don’t think Maxwell was on Miller. At second goal I thought it was Robinson or McKee.

Hugely frustrating not to take anything from today. I thought we done well on the whole. The obvious set piece problem needs worked on, the rest of our play etc is decent. I actually feel generally quite comfortable during games that were not going to concede in normal play. Still not seeing what Robinson brings to the fold, and East didn’t look right today. Was crying out for shields today I thought but obviously something up with him.

Big one next week, need a win under our belts ASAP

My thoughts too with Shields. I thought he must have had a niggle as he has to be in the lineup every week for me. 

As an Ayr fan happy to get 3 points off a team who over the years have caused us problems , must admit we stole the points today , draw a more realistic result , sending off looked very soft ( not many players complained though ) Ayr sending off just pure stupidity, improvement and more depth of squad needed by Ayr 

12 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

As an Ayr fan happy to get 3 points off a team who over the years have caused us problems , must admit we stole the points today , draw a more realistic result , sending off looked very soft ( not many players complained though ) Ayr sending off just pure stupidity, improvement and more depth of squad needed by Ayr 

Maxwells body language suggested that to me too as he walked off but the replay says otherwise. 

Can't give teams 2 goals of a start and expect to get something from the game . Maxwell had shown his inexperience he will learn but at our cost .

This is our problem players with no experience asking a lot to expect them to play in the Championship going to be a very hard season .

Did you get the streaming to work?

I ask out of general concern and also because it doesn’t sound like you watched the game. Aside from the awful defending at two goals We were actually very good for most of the match. If we play like that every week we will trouble even the best defences.

Obileye and Nortey look comfortable at this level. Even Goss was very unlucky not to score the equaliser at the end with a great header. Need to see more of that from him. Gibson might be the surprise of the season. Ayr are supposed to be one of the better championship sides and he was very comfortable running at them and caused them problems.

If we can sort out our defence we will stay up this season. If we get lucky with injuries we might even challenge top 4, I think we have the ability in the team for it.

Just watched highlights, Robinson for first, he kind of passes his man onto mccabe but not good enough, I know he’s wee but just be a nuisance at least. Then Joe McKee totally switches off when the ball is headed back across... school boy stuff.

11 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Have we won a game in 2020?

14 games in total and 11 league games without a win.

For me, the “more positives than negatives” chat is like the old joke “Otherwise, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?” The negatives are so massive they significantly outweigh the positives. If you give the opposition 2 goals in every game, the good teams are going to add to that, leaving you having to score 4 or more to win.

It is the half arsed attitude that really gets on my tits. Standing around watching a player in the 6 yard box, like it is somebody else’s job to deal with it. It gives the impression that they don’t care about conceding goals. Maybe some of them don’t and they figure they will be in the team in any event. Then, once we’re in L1 they will naff off somewhere else.

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

14 games in total and 11 league games without a win.

For me, the “more positives than negatives” chat is like the old joke “Otherwise, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?” The negatives are so massive they significantly outweigh the positives. If you give the opposition 2 goals in every game, the good teams are going to add to that, leaving you having to score 4 or more to win.

It is the half arsed attitude that really gets on my tits. Standing around watching a player in the 6 yard box, like it is somebody else’s job to deal with it. It gives the impression that they don’t care about conceding goals. Maybe some of them don’t and they figure they will be in the team in any event. Then, once we’re in L1 they will naff off somewhere else.

Agreed. I’m certainly not taking solace from the fact “we’ll be alright once we sort the defence” given we’ve not been able to sort the defence for the past two seasons and we’ve not been alright in them!

Am I missing something? Do most goals in all divisions not come from crosses of some kind. What is the fixation with it? Every team losses goals from crosses, even Celtic lost a goal from cross. Yes it is probably something we can work on. 
for a team thrown together apart from the first 12 minutes I thought we were as good as if not better than Ayr. Don’t get me wrong I don’t think we will be pushing for promotion but it’s not all doom and gloom.

I don't think our issue is crosses in general, it's specifically set pieces. If it's a cross in to a relatively empty box, the CBs look competent in defending that situation. The issue is when the box is crowded and the midfield also need to take their defensive responsibilities. This is all about organisation and guys being clear in their responsibilities in the situation, it should be sorted on the training field.

5 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I don't think our issue is crosses in general, it's specifically set pieces. If it's a cross in to a relatively empty box, the CBs look competent in defending that situation. The issue is when the box is crowded and the midfield also need to take their defensive responsibilities. This is all about organisation and guys being clear in their responsibilities in the situation, it should be sorted on the training field.

Agreed. And there are often times when a cross is really hard to defend and there isn’t much you can do. But the goals we have conceded have been soft.  When the Morton player scored their first, there was nobody near him and he didn’t even have to jump. Ayr’s second goal was similar in that the player was in acres. At a corner. Our players might as well have been on the terracing for all the use they were.

Am I missing something? Do most goals in all divisions not come from crosses of some kind. What is the fixation with it? Every team losses goals from crosses, even Celtic lost a goal from cross. Yes it is probably something we can work on. 

for a team thrown together apart from the first 12 minutes I thought we were as good as if not better than Ayr. Don’t get me wrong I don’t think we will be pushing for promotion but it’s not all doom and gloom.

Don't make me get my stats out from the last two seasons!

FWIW of the 6 goals conceded this season 100% of them have been via a 'cross'. Everyone concedes from cross balls but I'm confident we are at the top end.

The fixation comes from the fact that everywhere else on the park is looking decent for us and this is our weakest area yet already we look like it's going to severely harm us again this season.

2 minutes ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

Anybody have any stats to say how many goals we have scored from crosses in the last two years, be interesting if other teams are as bad as us

Don’t have any for last season but I think we have scored 2 from 5 this season (if you include Dobbie’s penalty being the result of cross). 

1 out of 2 v Morton
0 out of 2 v St.Mirren
1 out of 1 v Ayr

Goals conceded 6 out of 6. So 40% scored, 100% conceded.

As mentioned earlier, it isn’t just the number, it is the nature of them. 8 players standing watching a player in the 6 yard box is unacceptable even if the guy had somehow missed.

6 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

Did you get the streaming to work?

I ask out of general concern and also because it doesn’t sound like you watched the game. Aside from the awful defending at two goals We were actually very good for most of the match. If we play like that every week we will trouble even the best defences.

Obileye and Nortey look comfortable at this level. Even Goss was very unlucky not to score the equaliser at the end with a great header. Need to see more of that from him. Gibson might be the surprise of the season. Ayr are supposed to be one of the better championship sides and he was very comfortable running at them and caused them problems.

If we can sort out our defence we will stay up this season. If we get lucky with injuries we might even challenge top 4, I think we have the ability in the team for it.

Never watched it live have seen the highlights will hopefully get the streaming going for the home games as I have a season ticket .Laptops are running on windows 7 I think a bit old only hope is a iPad somehow connected to my TV .

On the football have not got a hope in hell of the Top 4 staying up we do me but it is going to be very difficult we just can't give easy goals away like at Ayr 2 corners to the back post 2 goals .

The Raith game are the management team back or still have to isolate 

3 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Never watched it live have seen the highlights will hopefully get the streaming going for the home games as I have a season ticket .Laptops are running on windows 7 I think a bit old only hope is a iPad somehow connected to my TV .

On the football have not got a hope in hell of the Top 4 staying up we do me but it is going to be very difficult we just can't give easy goals away like at Ayr 2 corners to the back post 2 goals .

The Raith game are the management team back or still have to isolate 

If/when you do upgrade your pc can you get one with a punctuation function.?