The Queen of the South thread

No, different player. Nortei played against Dalbeattie on Friday though.
I've only watched us Vs Airdrie, granted. But it was a like for like performance of last season for me. Tomorrow should be a good indication of where we are. It's almost a glorified pre-season friendly at this point but Morton will likely be battling with ourselves near the bottom so I will have a bit of fear if they were to hammer us [emoji38]

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not really sure it's true either. Clearly Ayo and Nortei are left field a bit (though not really any more so than Dan Pybus was last year and he did ok). The rest of them are all domestic signings albeit the likes of Maxwell, McKechnie, Joseph, are pretty young and have limited first team experience at any level.

McCabe, McKee, Buchanan, Gibson, Ferguson are all players with plenty of experience at this or similar level. East and McGrory have a fair bit for their ages a level or two down. Fitzpatrick has plenty of experience for a teenager.

Joe McKee (free transfer, Dumbarton), Gregor Buchanan (free transfer, Falkirk), Rhys McCabe (free transfer, Brechin City), Connor Shields (free transfer, Aldershot Town), Aidan Fitzpatrick (loan, Norwich City), Ayo Obileye (free transfer, Ebbsfleet United), Willie Gibson (free transfer, unattached), Rohan Ferguson (free transfer, Motherwell), Harry Robinson (loan, Motherwell), Niyah Joseph (free transfer, Hamilton Academical), Harry McKechnie (free transfer, Rangers), James Maxwell (loan, Rangers), Euan East (free transfer, Albion Rovers), Nortei Nortey (free transfer, Chorley), Calvin McGrory (free transfer, Queens Park)

I've copied all of the incoming from the big transfer thread, but I think it is absolutely true. We haven't signed a single player from a fellow championship side, and there are more haven't played championship football than have.

It is absolutely the case that most of the squad are not from the usual championship merry-go-round.

16 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Joe McKee (free transfer, Dumbarton), Gregor Buchanan (free transfer, Falkirk), Rhys McCabe (free transfer, Brechin City), Connor Shields (free transfer, Aldershot Town), Aidan Fitzpatrick (loan, Norwich City), Ayo Obileye (free transfer, Ebbsfleet United), Willie Gibson (free transfer, unattached), Rohan Ferguson (free transfer, Motherwell), Harry Robinson (loan, Motherwell), Niyah Joseph (free transfer, Hamilton Academical), Harry McKechnie (free transfer, Rangers), James Maxwell (loan, Rangers), Euan East (free transfer, Albion Rovers), Nortei Nortey (free transfer, Chorley), Calvin McGrory (free transfer, Queens Park)

I've copied all of the incoming from the big transfer thread, but I think it is absolutely true. We haven't signed a single player from a fellow championship side, and there are more haven't played championship football than have.

It is absolutely the case that most of the squad are not from the usual championship merry-go-round.

Joe McKee and Gregor Buchanan have played most of their career in the Championship and had one season out of it last year. Rhys McCabe was at Brechin for about 15 mins but all his experience in this country previously was in the Championship. Connor Shields spent the season at this level two years ago. Wullie Gibson played most of his career this level or above. Fitzpatrick is young and certainly not typical I'd agree but his senior experience is all in the Championship.

Robinson, Maxwell, Joseph and McKechnie are young lads out of Premier reserve squads either on loan or released. Ferguson too more or less though he has a lot of experience a level down and in Ireland.

McGrory and East are pick ups from the level below looking to step up and pretty young at 20/21.

Obileye and Nortey are certainly out of left field.

Take your point though. I was more addressing the suggestion it's similar to Falkirk. It really isn't. Of 15 signings (+ Pybus), only two are new to Scottish football. That's nothing like the number Falkirk threw in two years ago.

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Joe McKee and Gregor Buchanan have played most of their career in the Championship and had one season out of it last year. Rhys McCabe was at Brechin for about 15 mins but all his experience in this country previously was in the Championship. Connor Shields spent the season at this level two years ago. Wullie Gibson played most of his career this level or above. Fitzpatrick is young and certainly not typical I'd agree but his senior experience is all in the Championship.

Robinson, Maxwell, Joseph and McKechnie are young lads out of Premier reserve squads either on loan or released. Ferguson too more or less though he has a lot of experience a level down and in Ireland.

McGrory and East are pick ups from the level below looking to step up and pretty young at 20/21.

Obileye and Nortey are certainly out of left field.

Take your point though. I was more addressing the suggestion it's similar to Falkirk. It really isn't. Of 15 signings (+ Pybus), only two are new to Scottish football. That's nothing like the number Falkirk threw in two years ago.

I didn't mean to infer that the signings were similar to Falkirk's but was simply responding to dhd's liking of Johnston casting the signing net a bit further afield than the usual "merry-" go-round" of Scottish league players, and was pointing out that that approach  doesn't always end well. 

1 hour ago, FrankReynolds said:

That's some write up about Nortey. Enjoyed reading it. 

They should maybe fix the spelling of his name in one of the paragraphs in the article on the OS.

45 minutes ago, FrankReynolds said:

There's a couple of spelling mistakes but an enjoyable read nonetheless. 

I was thinking more from the player’s point of view rather than whether it affected the quality of the article. It has been changed now anyway.

It may well go pear shaped but it seems fans including me are going into this new season with some cautious optimism after a change of signing appraoch. To some degree the approach has been forced upon us with covid impacting the budget massively and teams like Queens Park, East Kilbride and even Darvel taking players off the merry go round to make us have to get more creative. Had those teams not been in a position to sign those players you wonder how many would have ended up here. We do have a few merry go round players such as McKee, McCabe and Buchanan but on the whole there is a youthful energy about the squad. From what Ive seen/heard so far it seems we might have unearthed a few gems.

It may well go pear shaped but it seems fans including me are going into this new season with some cautious optimism after a change of signing appraoch. To some degree the approach has been forced upon us with covid impacting the budget massively and teams like Queens Park, East Kilbride and even Darvel taking players off the merry go round to make us have to get more creative. Had those teams not been in a position to sign those players you wonder how many would have ended up here. We do have a few merry go round players such as McKee, McCabe and Buchanan but on the whole there is a youthful energy about the squad. From what Ive seen/heard so far it seems we might have unearthed a few gems.

A lot got an opportunity at a level they maybe thought they’d never get, or maybe had passed them by. SDs break down is pretty bang on in regards to where they’ve been etc, there will be ups and downs it’s largely young, wee bit inexperienced... but I hope this is used to our advantage, hopefully players will work that wee bit harder and improve as we go on this season. Would be excellent to get off to a good start tonight, especially with Morton being a team that’ll be round us more than likely this season