The Queen of the South thread

Missed the goal and gave up with the poor stream at 72. I must have missed all the good parts as I saw something completely different to everyone else. I thought that was a like for like performance of last season. We offered very little going forward. Unless Airdrie are just rotten, we did well at keeping their chances down though. I only saw our goalkeeper have one save. I liked the the look of the full backs, both keen to get forward.

Very powderpuff in the middle with little to no creativity. Shields and Fitzpatrick look like they know what they are doing though. Goss was completely isolated up front and it was like watching Dobbie last season.

There were a few positives in there and results mean nothing in friendlies but the guys will need to gel very very quickly if we aren't going to be stuck down the bottom this season. I hope AJ just uses the League Cup games as further tinkering until he gets a system that works. If the system we saw today is what he intends to use (the same as last season's) then we're doon.

It’s a pre-season friendly and it’s early days but were a few concerning things in there. The centre of midfield looks powderpuff again, adding McKee won’t make any difference to that. We lacked creativity and as said above, Goss and then East were totally isolated. Having Dobbie in behind one of the strikers might obviously help with that.

Ultimately though it’s important the club stays alive this season and it’s a totally new team. I suspect we’ll seriously struggle in our league cup group and just have to hope the team can gel quickly for the league starting.

Trialist, Ayo, Maxwell done well... Buchanan didn’t do a lot wrong either tbf. Pybus looked back to himself mccabe beat and tidy. Robinson quite anonymous, Fitzpatrick got going second half, but camera kept fucking up, shields really busy just could do with a bit more quality. But they were crowding us out. East looked busy and useful. Goss from what I seen never done much but looked more isolated. Definitely stepped it up second half and looked decent enough considering teams just been put together.

22 hours ago, Mr X said:

Thank god you posted. I dont think we could have waited another second to find out if our signings were any good or not.

Make sure you PM Grant228 and tell him he doesnt need to bother

I reckon I've briefed everyone up enough how your transfer dealings have been. 

56 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

It surely can’t be that difficult to turn the camera to the side when an attack starts up.

However evidently I haven't spoken enough about Pixellot, it's fucking shite. 

1 hour ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

My general questions could of been better worded but thank you. I think really I just wanted confirmation that these talks are ongoing etc.

The when was about bet Fred and league games which you answered.

The format I was looking at camera man plus what graphics have been looked at having on the video.

Not being funny, but did you really need confirmation that the talks were ongoing?

I think its pretty important to clarify after today that we will NOT be using Pixellot!! The games will be filmed by the same person who has filmed them for the highlights for years.

The SPLF have standard graphics we need to use but no one has seen them yet. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Missed the goal and gave up with the poor stream at 72. I must have missed all the good parts as I saw something completely different to everyone else. I thought that was a like for like performance of last season. We offered very little going forward. Unless Airdrie are just rotten, we did well at keeping their chances down though. I only saw our goalkeeper have one save. I liked the the look of the full backs, both keen to get forward.

Very powderpuff in the middle with little to no creativity. Shields and Fitzpatrick look like they know what they are doing though. Goss was completely isolated up front and it was like watching Dobbie last season.

There were a few positives in there and results mean nothing in friendlies but the guys will need to gel very very quickly if we aren't going to be stuck down the bottom this season. I hope AJ just uses the League Cup games as further tinkering until he gets a system that works. If the system we saw today is what he intends to use (the same as last season's) then we're doon.

Bit early even for you to be predicting doom and gloom?

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

I reckon I've briefed everyone up enough how your transfer dealings have been. 

However evidently I haven't spoken enough about Pixellot, it's fucking shite. 

happy hell yeah GIF

200.gif&key=97e82730f95e811893f3bd21cc4fa9f1a15299d7c1a9c66f99447e1c89a9abbc
Possibly a bit early but I thought today's performance was exactly the same style as our last outing - no threat up front and no creativity from the centre of the park. We didn't have much to deal with at the back so hopefully that's a sign things are better there.

But I can't lie, early days or not I feel less optimistic about next season having watched us than I did last night.

I can see how Queens have not had time to gel a team and they were better in the 2nd half but there were hardly any shots on goal ( That might be because the camera was on a different path) . The 2 full backs looked fine but the rest were not much better than the Airdrie players in similar positions, and that must be a worry if/when your season begins.  Best wishes anyway.

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Possibly a bit early but I thought today's performance was exactly the same style as our last outing - no threat up front and no creativity from the centre of the park. We didn't have much to deal with at the back so hopefully that's a sign things are better there.

But I can't lie, early days or not I feel less optimistic about next season having watched us than I did last night.

From what Ive seen we definitely look more forward thinking in the midfield and have more pace out wide. I think we will be far better going forward than last season

From what Ive seen we definitely look more forward thinking in the midfield and have more pace out wide. I think we will be far better going forward than last season

McKee and Dobbs will both help us going forward also. I guess a shot that hits the bar isn’t counted on target, but there was 3/4 occasions we got in good positions and should’ve done better. Shields in first half. Generally I’m not ecstatic but encouraged by way we knocked it about. I think everyone knows what we’re working with this season, it’s going to be hard.

Would hope we’ll be having a second look at the full back. I’d like us to add another centre half and centre mid on that. If we add decent quality and then dobbs/McKee to come in properly still. No doubt Morton Falkirk fans will slag McKee but 16 assists last year for a mediocre dumbarton, if he could get half them for us it’d be bonus

3 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

4 games experience of senior football  more than enough to play in the Championship  !!!

How is he supposed to get experience? How about changing your tune and trying to show some positivity for a change? You’re getting boring.

We looked far better out wide with Fitz and Shields, I agree there. The middle of the park just looked very powderpuff to me again.

Time will tell of course and I really hope you're right but I can't help my scepticism having watched us look no better than a side a division below us.

We looked far better out wide with Fitz and Shields, I agree there. The middle of the park just looked very powderpuff to me again.

Time will tell of course and I really hope you're right but I can't help my scepticism having watched us look no better than a side a division below us.

Pybus looked more like player that started season last year, McCabe kept possession without doing much, I guess there will be games that retaining the ball will be really important against lesser clubs probably isn’t that. Personally hoping McKee is the guy that will be the guy to play more threatening passes, try make things happen. I’d like someone with a bit more presence as an option in there. Lacked that for a while

2 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Pybus looked more like player that started season last year, McCabe kept possession without doing much, I guess there will be games that retaining the ball will be really important against lesser clubs probably isn’t that. Personally hoping McKee is the guy that will be the guy to play more threatening passes, try make things happen. I’d like someone with a bit more presence as an option in there. Lacked that for a while

To the extent I could actually tell on that footage that is the least influential McCabe has been. That might simply be down to Airdrie being far better than the other sides we've played do far. McCabe was pulling strings in the middle of the park at other friendlies but seemed fairly peripheral today.

Like you I'd like to see the goal again because he appeared to get in far too easily with a bending run down the channel between (I think) the trialist full back and Buchanan. That might be down to lack of understanding as the Trialist hasn't been training with us before at least Thursday / Friday or it might have been a bad error by one of them. I couldn't really tell. It was a good finish though with Ferguson given no chance. There was another chance late first half that seemed to fly across our goal and go narrowly wide of top left corner but again with the perspective we had it might equally have been 6 yards wide, I couldn't be sure. That apart I thought we didn't really look threatened and I don't think Ferguson made a save of note. I don't think their keeper did either though. It wasn't exactly action packed.

15 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

A friendly result means nothing even the performance it is all about getting match fit especially after such a long time away.

Our problem is that it is a new team that will take time to gel together there won't be a team anywhere that will start with at least 9 new signing many more on the bench .