The Queen of the South thread

If my memory is correct, Billy Hewitson said during his interview from the arena that the emphasis was on youth this season.

Well it certainly looks like it. Hope there’s one or two really good youngsters getting on board. Looks like a very interesting season coming up in more ways than one [emoji848]

I don't know how to feel about this squad at the moment, if I'm honest. Ignoring the clear need for more bodies in defence, we've gone down the route of a lot of promising young players (11 of the 17 signed players are 23 or under, and only 2 are older than 30). It's high risk, but it feels like we have more attacking options in this squad than we've had in a long long time. They also all seem to have a reasonable pedigree, either as outstanding performers at a lower level, or as having been signed by clubs at levels higher than us. They might all be awful, but if it pays off we could have a very exciting team. I'm very much ok with this approach.

37 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I don't know how to feel about this squad at the moment, if I'm honest. Ignoring the clear need for more bodies in defence, we've gone down the route of a lot of promising young players (11 of the 17 signed players are 23 or under, and only 2 are older than 30). It's high risk, but it feels like we have more attacking options in this squad than we've had in a long long time. They also all seem to have a reasonable pedigree, either as outstanding performers at a lower level, or as having been signed by clubs at levels higher than us. They might all be awful, but if it pays off we could have a very exciting team. I'm very much ok with this approach.

Clearly there is a risk. Mind you,  given the current circumstances and likely reduction in budget,  it is not a surprise we have gone down the untested youngster route.

We are cutting our cloth accordingly., so it should give us a better chance of having a team next year if things go tits up again with COVID. Regardless of what league we are in.

To be honest, I am looking forward to seeing* how they get on. It must be a while since the average age of our squad has been so young.

*via video link

Agreed. On a basic level, recent transfer windows haven't worked. So credit for a new approach. A younger and more attack minded squad though.

Next stop: the Scottish Premiership. [emoji41]

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

First images of the new kit now on the OS http://www.qosfc.com/news-5230

2021kitad.png

The home top is fine pretty plain and simple but that's not a bad thing.  It's very similar to the first Macron home top but without the striped collar.  I like the look of the away top a lot.

Its not obvious on the picture but there are stripes on the sleeve and the badge is on the back, similar to previous years. You can see it better on the online store, if you use the zoom on the image

https://store.qosfc.com/2021-home-replica-top

Both look even better in real life

7 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Its not obvious on the picture but there are stripes on the sleeve and the badge is on the back, similar to previous years. You can see it better on the online store, if you use the zoom on the image

https://store.qosfc.com/2021-home-replica-top

Both look even better in real life

Yeah I noticed the extra pictures on the store.  I've posted some of them in the kits thread.  The away shorts look great as well, they remind me of this belter of a Scotland tracksuit.

P0.jpg

I haven’t really been a fan of the last couple of kits and this one is no different.

The first one we had with macron was my favourite and a potential classic. Hopefully the new one will sell well though. 

Time for an Umbro, Hummel or Adidas number next season.

Edited by qos_75

43 minutes ago, Messi Scott said:

To suggest QoS have brought in promising youngsters is inaccurate. East isn’t  good enough for the championship. It also sounds like the 2 Rangers lads aren’t anything special at youth level. 

You could well be right. It is a gamble. However, there may be a few clubs go to the wall by this time next season. So why spend (gamble) money when  you don’t really need to? 

Even if we were relegated, I don’t think it would affect us as much as it would some other clubs.. 

Edited to add:

You never know, maybe one or two of the youngsters will flourish if given a chance. If not this season, maybe the next one or two. 

Edited by qos_75

11 minutes ago, Messi Scott said:

To suggest QoS have brought in promising youngsters is inaccurate. East isn’t  good enough for the championship. It also sounds like the 2 Rangers lads aren’t anything special at youth level. 

Thank god you posted. I dont think we could have waited another second to find out if our signings were any good or not.

Make sure you PM Grant228 and tell him he doesnt need to bother

A young looking Squad is taking shape now, with an average age of 22 not Inc Dobbie (37) & Gibson (36).   Another two players are definitely needed a RB & a CB and to make a squad of 20 maybe either a CM or CF. Still four domestic loans available so wouldn't be too surprised if they all came in on loan. A brand new squad with only Leighfield, Pybus & Dobbie remaining ftom last season I am glad the squad has 3 games in the Betfred Cup before the league starts it'll give the players a chance to get a bit if understanding how each other plays. 

More than ever, the need for any arrivals to be cheap is huge.

Hopefully, there are some decent players in there, but right now, their affordability matters more than anything.  They might be hopeless of course, but I'm honestly ok with that if it'll help the club survive what looks a perilous season. 

I don't even mean survival in the division.  I just mean survival as in remaining alive.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

More than ever, the need for any arrivals to be cheap is huge.

Hopefully, there are some decent players in there, but right now, their affordability matters more than anything.  They might be hopeless of course, but I'm honestly ok with that if it'll help the club survive what looks a perilous season. 

I don't even mean survival in the division.  I just mean survival as in remaining alive.

This is a great post  ,some actually think its back to normal .

Can see this season being scrapped .

47 minutes ago, Messi Scott said:

To paraphrase an old Billy Connolly anecdote (the cheetah and the camera men) as long as we are still standing at the end of this pandemic, that will be good enough for me.