The Queen of the South thread

Don’t get me wrong jury is out on McCabe and McKee. But I can see the merit in McKee giving how many goals he was told involved in last season, McCabe is a player Johnston has managed knows what he brings. Keeper I’m very happy with, Ayo is a unknown quantity but by all accounts is quick and loses f**k all in the air, Buchanan getting a slagging from Morton and Falkirk fans but that’s hardly a surprise, was a player I always wanted us to get so hopefully he can find some form he had. Pybus will hopefully do job he done for us first six months of season, doing the donkey work to allow McKee to play. And then our front four as I’ve said is young bar Dobbs, but I think Shields can give us a bit of what Lyndon did, Fitzpatrick and Robinson on either wing [emoji1666] Dobbs back to doing what he does best
I'd agree with that. Who knows what will come of the players. We've all seen players we've expected little of turning in a perfoance we never saw coming. I'd agree re Pybus. Hopefully first half of season Pybus and I'll be happy. AJ clearly not finished but I've been perfectly happy with the club's efforts so far.

I can't imagine that any Queens fan is genuinely 'perfectly happy' with their business so far, unless with the huge caveat of 'for a club trying to stay afloat during the pandemic'. From an objective standpoint your current line-up looks poor and I'd put yourselves and Morton below every other starting eleven as it stands right now, with the possible exception of Alloa.

I never appreciated how liked we are by other fans in this division. But the amount of concern opposition supporters seem to have for our squad this season is quite touching.

Maybe jealous of our caution while they wonder how their squads will be paid for with no crowds all season. [emoji23]

I can't imagine that any Queens fan is genuinely 'perfectly happy' with their business so far, unless with the huge caveat of 'for a club trying to stay afloat during the pandemic'. From an objective standpoint your current line-up looks poor and I'd put yourselves and Morton below every other starting eleven as it stands right now, with the possible exception of Alloa.

Would say I’m content.

55 minutes ago, virginton said:

I think its ok, I'm reasonably happy with it. We are not competing with the likes of Dundee and Dunfermline for players (& obviously not Hearts). The two part time sides are obviously a differemt market and Inverness are geographically, and probably financially, in a different market mostly too. I'm not even sure how much we are competing with Ayr currently. Ayr's "Covid, what Covid, come get your two year deal here" attitude has put them in a different position.

That effectively leaves us really only directly comparable to Morton and Raith. Raith have retained most of their title team and didnt need that much. MacDonald is a great signing. Tumilty is average but I'd take him given we've no full backs right now. Their other two signings are far more left field and could go any way. 

Morton havent really done much yet. Ky Jacobs is the best player they retained from last year and new signings are Gary Oliver, who didnt get a regular game for us last season, Rabin Omar who has never played above League 2, a young keeper released by Rangers and an on loan full back from St Johnstone. 

We needed a keeper and have got one of the better ones available I think. There's an element of gamble about all our forward players. They have something to prove but the immediate previous (Scottish) clubs of McKee and Shields are pretty complimentary and they've played this level before. Fitzpatrick might potentially be a terrific signing. I imagine bigger sides would have happily taken him. Dunfermline fans havent condemned McCabe and the manager has worked with him before. Robinson hopefully offers something creative too. 

The big question marks are at the back where we already needed major surgery even before Holt departed. Big Ayo is massive but he hasnt played in Scotland before. It doesnt work for everyone. Buchanan did great at this level with Dumbarton, St Mirren, Livi but fans of Morton and Falkirk are less complimentary and we have no full backs at all right now. 

We clearly need at least three more defenders, two full backs and another centre back. There will be other domestic loans to come. But we're ok with still a fortnight to go. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

We retained Aidan Nesbitt over the summer who is a better player than Jacobs. 

The same claims made about Shields and Robinson could be made for Omar or Oliver at Morton. The bottom line though is that none of the four are close to being proven Championship quality (arguably Oliver has done more than the rest): they are all gambles made in key positions out of necessity rather than real opportunity. Fitzpatrick is the only signing with a potentially much higher upside to it and so would be worth the risk even if there wasn't a pandemic impacting finances at this level.

Edited by vikingTON

:offtopic:offtopic:offtopic

As above but congrats for being a bunch of shaggers! :wub:

None of the Borders towns makes it into the Scottish top-20, with Dumfries taking the crown based on a figure of 871 inhabitants joining Illicit Encounters – meaning 3.95 per cent of the town’s population is having an affair.

:offtopic:offtopic:offtopic
As above but congrats for being a bunch of shaggers! :wub:
None of the Borders towns makes it into the Scottish top-20, with Dumfries taking the crown based on a figure of 871 inhabitants joining Illicit Encounters – meaning 3.95 per cent of the town’s population is having an affair.

Quite an achievement when you see the state of some of our inhabitants.

On 20/09/2020 at 09:45, qos1990 said:

Don’t get me wrong jury is out on McCabe and McKee. But I can see the merit in McKee giving how many goals he was told involved in last season, McCabe is a player Johnston has managed knows what he brings. Keeper I’m very happy with, Ayo is a unknown quantity but by all accounts is quick and loses f**k all in the air, Buchanan getting a slagging from Morton and Falkirk fans but that’s hardly a surprise, was a player I always wanted us to get so hopefully he can find some form he had. Pybus will hopefully do job he done for us first six months of season, doing the donkey work to allow McKee to play. And then our front four as I’ve said is young bar Dobbs, but I think Shields can give us a bit of what Lyndon did, Fitzpatrick and Robinson on either wing 🤝 Dobbs back to doing what he does best

In the main I have been pretty gappy with the player recruitment by AJ. But with only 2 weeks till the first Cup game he still needs to sign a minimum of 4 players RB, LB, CB & a CF, hopefully he will have these players signed before the Airdrie friendly on Sat so they can get used to playing with each other before the cup games start.... The club still has 5 domestic loans available to use.... 

On 20/09/2020 at 10:49, Grant228 said:

Going by your business this summer, we won't find out for a while. 

This is the most sense I’ve seen on this thread for a while. You’d have to be delusional if you’re a QoS fan and happy with the signings made. 

On 19/09/2020 at 19:57, Ludo*1 said:

Pybus looks good to me every time I've watched him. Underrated player in the division or just caught him on good days?

On 17/08/2020 at 19:13, RandomGuy. said:

Oddly enough I was looking up Championship players last night, and Pybus pops up as, statistically, one of the best young ball winning/defensive midfielders in the division. 

Offers zero going forward, but (and ill add here this all based on numbers) looks like the perfect player to play beside a less mobile playmaker (McKee?).

*choo choo*

Ludo and RG on the Tayside to Pybus hype train.

4 hours ago, Messi Scott said:

This is the most sense I’ve seen on this thread for a while. You’d have to be delusional if you’re a QoS fan and happy with the signings made. 

3 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

Did your mob not get pumped 6-2 at the weekend by Falkirk? 

For God’s sake, please keep him busy over here...the rest of the Board appreciates QoS’s work to contain him here!

22 minutes ago, TxRover said:

For God’s sake, please keep him busy over here...the rest of the Board appreciates QoS’s work to contain him here!

Although, I thought it had been established he had no affinity to Raith. Rather, he was a disgruntled Queens troll. 

Either way, it is good entertainment.

41 minutes ago, JessieField said:

How many substitutes are allowed during a match this upcoming season?

As far as I know that hasn't been voted on and confirmed yet. The option is there to switch to the same system the Premiership are using (9 subs, have to 5 used in 3 stoppages) but I don't think they've held the vote yet. Personally I'm not in favour.