The Queen of the South thread

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

The people making negative comments about us signing old timers are going to look awfully silly when we run away with the title in 2010.

is there people making negitive comments about signing oor wullie and wee dan ? iv seen some wondering why we are signing players who previously dropped down the ladder yes but thay are still good players ,the concerns  people will be having are these players dropped down for a reason and now came back there is genuine concern there ,would be a massive bonus defo if we could get wullie and wee dan back to something like there best though ,but concerns will always be there when you bring players back to higher levels after dropping down for years .

Edited by Douglas1972

is there people making negitive comments about signing oor wullie and wee dan ? iv seen some wondering why we are signing players who previously dropped down the ladder yes but thay are still good players ,the concerns  people will be having are these players dropped down for a reason and now came back there is genuine concern there ,would be a massive bonus defo if we could get wullie and wee dan back to something like there best though ,but concerns will always be there when you bring players back to higher levels after dropping down for years .

There could also be that Dan will be back up to Shields and Fitzpatrick? I’ve no idea if Shields will play on wing but my memory of him is that he tore us a new one playing there. A front four of

Fitzpatrick Dobbs Shields

Goss

On paper looks decent enough although no guarantees with goss. Heard McCabe did well last night, again obviously against lesser side but encouraged by this

7 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

Quite a lot of negative posts along the lines of "where is all the Dykes money" and "Ayr have signed ____"

I don't live in the UK but from what I can see in the news I would be more concerned about the club's ability to survive if we have to play most of the season behind closed doors with no paying fans in attendance. If there was ever a time to be cautious financially; this is it. I wonder if some of the clubs who have signed 'impressively' up till now have budgeted for such a situation. 

Obviously we don't want a situation where the board use the pandemic as an excuse to hoard cash, and if they appeared to be it would do more harm than good anyway. But caution is required. I will be amazed if we see fans in Palmerston at the start of the season, if infections are completely out of control again the season itself may be under threat of postponement or cancellation. And if that happens will all the clubs in Scotland even survive?!

Good post Davie.

A financially cautious approach to the coming 'season' is looking increasingly sensible.

The current board’s entire regime has been built on being financially astute so it shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone it is the case this coming season when this is required more than ever.

It’s possible to be aware of all that but still be frustrated by it and have the odd grumble though. Especially on the likes of here.

4 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

The current board’s entire regime has been built on being financially astute so it shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone it is the case this coming season when this is required more than ever.

It’s possible to be aware of all that but still be frustrated by it and have the odd grumble though. Especially on the likes of here.

Agreed, in that what's this place for, if not a grumble?

The fact remains though that any signings that might be characterised as ambitious, look evermore risky as the prospect of playing league matches behind closed doors draws closer.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Agreed, in that what's this place for, if not a grumble?

The fact remains though that any signings that might be characterised as ambitious, look evermore risky as the prospect of playing league matches behind closed doors draws closer.

It doesn't help that some of our rivals appear to be bullish beyond good sense. I can't get my head round why any club would be offering two year deals to standard Championship players at this stage. For a youth developed prospect you can't afford to lose for nothing, yes, good argument for that, but for guys who are unlikely to ever go any higher than the current level right now that's mental. Of course the players then jump at that in an uncertain time and maybe a gamble will pay off but if there are no crowds throughout winter it's utter madness. A number of clubs seem to be working on an assumption that we'll have some crowds by October and be back to normal by Xmas. I just can't see it.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It doesn't help that some of our rivals appear to be bullish beyond good sense. I can't get my head round why any club would be offering two year deals to standard Championship players at this stage. For a youth developed prospect you can't afford to lose for nothing, yes, good argument for that, but for guys who are unlikely to ever go any higher than the current level right now that's mental. Of course the players then jump at that in an uncertain time and maybe a gamble will pay off but if there are no crowds throughout winter it's utter madness. A number of clubs seem to be working on an assumption that we'll have some crowds by October and be back to normal by Xmas. I just can't see it.

I can't see it either.

I know that ostensibly it could be argued that with the small crowds allowed at Dingwall and Aberdeen last week, we're moving in the right direction.  However, the trend in wider society is actually currently, if anything, in the other direction.  That's before we consider the relatively high number of player infections.  

I'm finding it hard to see us watching football as before, anytime soon at all really.  I hope I'm wrong, but we'd surely need something significant to change in either the behaviour of the virus or our capacity to deal with it.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

yep i agree with most your post ,but i have to point out these clubs putting together a decent squad  while other teams play the cautious approach will strike while the irons hot and the cautious clubs could end up relegated ,and it seems most of our championship rivals this season seem to be stronger than last season with there signings ,this makes me think queens could be in for a full on relegation fight ,though on the bright side we still have a fistfull of loanees we can call apon from spl clubs ,maybe thats where magic can wield his wand .

yep i agree with most your post ,but i have to point out these clubs putting together a decent squad  while other teams play the cautious approach will strike while the irons hot and the cautious clubs could end up relegated ,and it seems most of our championship rivals this season seem to be stronger than last season with there signings ,this makes me think queens could be in for a full on relegation fight ,though on the bright side we still have a fistfull of loanees we can call apon from spl clubs ,maybe thats where magic can wield his wand .

[emoji848]

Guest TOPFITTER
57 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Such short term angst. Prudence may be unpopular but in my opinion carrys a high tarrif. I would rather see an unexciting Queens squad relegated and a Club still to watch in a lower division than go back to a situation that spawned the "SAVE OUR SOUTH" movement who eventually merged with the the "Queen Of The South Supporters Society" to spawn the existing Queens Trust.  The apathy that is oft spouted showed a rather more "Caring and Giving" community in Dumfries and Galloway and many ventures and much financial support for the Club from the Public were the result. What about a bit of realism, Covid, crowds of circa 1200 if allowed and no profligate Sugar Daddies are hardly the Portents of a Higher Position Championship Club !

Enjoy YOUR Club while you have one. Skyline's moderate and sensible offerings are getting to me ;)

9 hours ago, qos1990 said:

I fully expected Gibson to sign for months and while I get it, he’s on the clubs wage bill already etc probably do as well as Paton or Kidd did in same position last season, it’s massively underwhelming when Ayr sign Joe Chalmers from Ross County and Dundee albeit with help sign Charlie Adam.

To be fair Ayr have Lachlan Cameron's money behind them and Dundee have a far bigger fanbase to generate funds.  We should be looking at what Alloa, Arbroath and Morton are doing.

12 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

To be fair Ayr have Lachlan Cameron's money behind them and Dundee have a far bigger fanbase to generate funds.  We should be looking at what Alloa, Arbroath and Morton are doing.

Lachlan Cameron won’t be punting money into Ayr. He’s said for years now the days of money going in without any sort of return is over. We’ve added to the board and seem to have a sustainable business model at the moment. As far as we’re aware the playing budget will be about the same as last year, if not reduced. Players just seem to be taking the security of 2 year deals at the moment given the current climate and this year won’t even be a full season. 

I would be more interested to know what sort of wage Dobbie is on, and if it is around what has been reported, would it not be better spent on a few decent players for this level than an ageing striker?  

1 hour ago, Parttimesupporter said:

Aswell as Cameron we've also had a buidling construction owner who is an Ayr fan through and through join the board in the last year and become vice chairman. He's not short of money and i think that's showing with two year contracts and the building of a new office complex, shop and social club at the ground due to start very soon. It's believed my most Ayr fans that Dave Smith will eventually take full ownership of the club from Lachlan Cameron.

We have improved the business model in recent years too with bringing the running of the shop and hospitality in house instead of being leased out to run by a thrid party, Plus i do believe there is a genuine push and ambition at the club to get promotion this season or at least give it a very good go.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

I would be more interested to know what sort of wage Dobbie is on, and if it is around what has been reported, would it not be better spent on a few decent players for this level than an ageing striker?  

No, it wouldn't. I'd rather watch Stephen Dobbie in a poor side then a few bang average players who just miss out on playoffs. Watching a player like Dobbie in the colours of our club is why we watch football. In 20 years we'll remember watching him, we won't remember whether we finished 9th or 5th.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Lachlan Cameron won’t be punting money into Ayr. He’s said for years now the days of money going in without any sort of return is over. We’ve added to the board and seem to have a sustainable business model at the moment. As far as we’re aware the playing budget will be about the same as last year, if not reduced. Players just seem to be taking the security of 2 year deals at the moment given the current climate and this year won’t even be a full season. 

No offence, but if you think that your playing budget will be about the same as last year then I struggle to see how you can possibly have a sustainable business model.  Every club's income is going to be massively reduced this season.  Even the old lucky dip option of an away cup tie against one of the ugly sisters is unlikely to be of much help, certainly in the Betfred.  You would have to be a bit of an optimist to think that anything like full crowds will be an option this season, so the same can be said for the Scottish Cup.

I have no idea what kind of wage Dobbie is on.  However, I am in the same camp as Die Hard Doonhamer.