The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Only 3 weeks till first competitive match of the season and we still need 2 fullbacks & a Goalie, surely its time that we got the defence sorted and they got some practice playing together..... 

Has it occurred to you that he's maybe planning to run with Jack Leighfield as his goalkeeper? Although clearly we need a second keeper anyway. And it was only Friday morning we knew we needed a left back.

8 hours ago, Mr X said:

No, the real world where situations are complicated, people are complicated and doing the right thing doesn't always look like the best thing. A real world, as I suspected, is totally foreign to you.

Thanks for playing though

Probably part of the Morton management team he’s always slagging off.

19 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Clubs at a stratospherically higher economic level are also far better able to withstand any financial hit though.  A wasted wage is easily absorbed where income is vast, squads are huge and dozens are otherwise employed.

At our level, it's pretty much intolerable, if it can be avoided.

It is indeed a sad fact of fitba that a team has to consider the landscape around a player before completing a signing. A player with potential is a gamble on a one year deal because you could lose him for nothing after a year, but a two year deal is betting on development that often doesn’t occur. As for holding truly unhappy players, it’s probably financially viable for about 3-5 teams in the SPFA. No matter how “professionally” a player acts, a player in a place they don’t want to be, especially with other offers, is not going to deliver the consistent performance that the team needs. That 50/50 in the center circle, is he going to go in full tilt? Is he going to push as hard for that cross? Especially if another team has already expressed interest, he’s got nothing to prove in this scenario. After all, we all have never seen players seem to lack a little motivation as the season winds down and at least eighth place is assured, right?

Edited by TxRover

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Has it occurred to you that he's maybe planning to run with Jack Leighfield as his goalkeeper? Although clearly we need a second keeper anyway. And it was only Friday morning we knew we needed a left back.

🤦‍♂️ Wouldn't have thot so he rushed out to get a goalie when Mcrorie left last season. He obviously didn't fancy Jack then don't think it will be any different now. 

36 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

🤦‍♂️ Wouldn't have thot so he rushed out to get a goalie when Mcrorie left last season. He obviously didn't fancy Jack then don't think it will be any different now. 

I'd be pretty happy with Jack as our goalie, and I think he'd develop a lot with a whole(ish) season under his belt.

eta But I am beginning to get a little nervous about the size of our "squad".  

Edited by oldhat

9 minutes ago, oldhat said:

I'd be pretty happy with Jack as our goalie, and I think he'd develop a lot with a whole(ish) season under his belt.

Hope we see 5/6 players come in on loan next week, so they get a chance to train & play with the signed players. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Seems there are plenty keepers available St Mirren had a list of 27 keepers to choose from

16 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Name them, we're looking for one as well. Quite a few clubs at this level are still in need of a goalie.

St Mirren were not looking to sign a goalkeeper and as far as I know they haven't signed Zlamal. They took a 7 day emergency loan keeper to cover a genuine emergency. I imagine there's a very different market for that and several clubs, particularly outside the Premiership where we're not yet playing, would have been happy to lend a keeper on that basis.

Northfield as usual is comparing apples and pears.

28 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

St Mirren were not looking to sign a goalkeeper and as far as I know they haven't signed Zlamal. They took a 7 day emergency loan keeper to cover a genuine emergency. I imagine there's a very different market for that and several clubs, particularly outside the Premiership where we're not yet playing, would have been happy to lend a keeper on that basis.

Northfield as usual is comparing apples and pears.

Thanks, that makes more sense. I thought 28 sounded very high but as you say apples and pears.

4 hours ago, oldhat said:

The size of the squad is fine...... Buchanan's 6 ft 3 and Obileye is 6 ft 4.... 🙄