The Queen of the South thread

Sure we got a fee for him... 
Yes. I think the report on the club website stated that we received a fee for el bakhtaoui. Anyway how can you stand in a players way if they can earn more money for them and their family. It doesn't always turn out bad for us in the long run anyway if you take Stephen Dobbie as an example. We didn't stand in his way to progress his career and he has came back to us and played even better than his first spell.

8 minutes ago, MallanandFlanagan said:
4 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:
Sure we got a fee for him... 

Yes. I think the report on the club website stated that we received a fee for el bakhtaoui. Anyway how can you stand in a players way if they can earn more money for them and their family. It doesn't always turn out bad for us in the long run anyway if you take Stephen Dobbie as an example. We didn't stand in his way to progress his career and he has came back to us and played even better than his first spell.

Dobbie was out of contract when he left us though.

Dobbie was out of contract when he left us though.
Fair point. I suppose what I mean in Stephen Dobbie's case the good will was there though. We all wished him well and understood why he left us for Swansea. I think the same for El Bakhtaoui and Kevin Holt for the majority of fans too whether they are under contract or not.

10 hours ago, Scottydog said:

At least Queens are getting something, in the time of Hughie Gallagher you got nowt.........a bit like we did with Nisbet.

Nisbet had a clause in his contract meaning you were entitled to hee haw. 

With Queens though they have players under contract they seem to just let go. 

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Yep we do. And I'm not buying into the idea some of our fans have that if the player wants to leave then we have to let them, especially for free. 

Yep we do. And I'm not buying into the idea some of our fans have that if the player wants to leave then we have to let them, especially for free. 
But what's the alternative? It pisses me right off that 2 year deals at Palmerston count for nothing but if a player wants away what do we do? We could stick him in the reserves to see out his contract (and if we could afford to, that's exactly what I'd do) but we aren't a big enough club to let a wage go to waste like that. And in the cases it's happened with us: Kerr, Baird, Harkins, El Bak and Holt, I'd wager they were higher earners at the club. It makes sense to just get shot of them and save the money/get someone in who wants to be here.

15 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

News on where,  if anywhere,  Holt's off to? As others have said, a steady performer but fell short of his performances during his first spell imo. 

Ermis Aradippou FC it would appear. They won the Cypriot second division and are currently 2 games into the new season in the top flight. Nil points after two games, could be a tough season. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

But what's the alternative? It pisses me right off that 2 year deals at Palmerston count for nothing but if a player wants away what do we do? We could stick him in the reserves to see out his contract (and if we could afford to, that's exactly what I'd do) but we aren't a big enough club to let a wage go to waste like that. And in the cases it's happened with us: Kerr, Baird, Harkins, El Bak and Holt, I'd wager they were higher earners at the club. It makes sense to just get shot of them and save the money/get someone in who wants to be here.

Depressing, but I'd imagine it's the reality.

I must admit Holt,  in his second spell,  frustrated me a bit.  I don't know if he'd lost a bit of pace or just wasn't able to,  but he rarely seemed to get past players on the outside as he did when here previously,  and when defenders forced him inside onto his weaker right foot the play invariably broke down and attacking momentum was lost.  He was a solid enough performer nonetheless but slightly disappointing compared to his previous spell imo. 

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Players play when they're unhappy and have their heads turned by a potential move all the time: you've got players like Zaha in the English Premiership who have tried to leave their club about seven times already and have still been key performers for their club on the pitch. It's possible that there was some sort of verbal or handshake agreement being honoured that would let Holt return if an offer came in for him, otherwise you'd have to question why on earth any two year deal is being handed out at all if the player can just up sticks and leave anyway.

Edited by vikingTON

otherwise you'd have to question why on earth any two year deal is being handed out at all if the player can just up sticks and leave anyway.

I do. We've been screwed a few times as mentioned above so for a club like us they are absolutely pointless IMO.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Players play when they're unhappy and have their heads turned by a potential move all the time: you've got players like Zaha in the English Premiership who have tried to leave their club about seven times already and have still been key performers for their club on the pitch. It's possible that there was some sort of verbal or handshake agreement being honoured that would let Holt return if an offer came in for him, otherwise you'd have to question why on earth any two year deal is being handed out at all if the player can just up sticks and leave anyway.

Its amazing how many parallels can be drawn between the EPL and the second tier of Scottish football

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I do. We've been screwed a few times as mentioned above so for a club like us they are absolutely pointless IMO.

The only real benefit that comes to mind, other than for young players who could be considered an "asset", is that its a means of persuading the player to sign for you over other clubs. Its seems more a statement of how you value the player rather than something that provides any protection to the club.

I think maybe offering a two year deal to  Holt could be excused because it was thought he was keen to return to the area,  he's a local lad,  his wife has or had a business in the town and he seemed keen to return. Also we had only 1 signed player at the time iirc,  so getting bodies in was necessary,  he knew the club and the club knew the type of player he was. The chance of a two year deal maybe was the clincher in him signing.  Gary Oliver was supposedly given a two year deal but that turned out to be dependent on the number of games he played and he was let go because he didn't make the appearances,   maybe Holt's "2 year contract"  was similar. 

41 minutes ago, FrankReynolds said:

I think most of the blame should be pointed at the player. Really shitty of him tbh

Very few will know all the facts behind this,  maybe you do,  so it's difficult to know who's to blame,  if anybody.