The Queen of the South thread

8 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Did you guys ever try Marshall at LW? He seems to have all the attributes for it - cracking cross, not exactly slow and a brilliant engine. His weak points are probably more defensively than anything else.

No. He never played there. It was only in his last season with us that he started to be a significant threat going forward. He always had a great engine and reasonable speed. He's tough as nails too. In his first couple of season with us though he tended to look like he was a threat with his crosses without any of them ever resulting in much. He tended to fizz the sort of balls across the box that you ended up thinking someone should have been there but by the time he'd been doing that for 2 or 3 years you accept actually he's just not picking anyone out and puting them where players are. He did however improve his delivery and particularly his own shooting in his last year. He probably learned a bit playing under Gary Naysmith in terms of his going forward from full back. Naysmith was a top class left back himself.

I'd agree his weakest points as a full back were when the attack came down the other side. He's not big enough to defend a back post header so resorted to trying to bump taller players off the ball which didn't work that often. Sometimes a little positionally suspect when the attack was coming down the other side too. He was fine defensively when the attack was on his side.

Said it before but for me Kevin Holt is bigger, stronger and far better in the air and therefore he's the better defender, and he's also a set piece threat. That's a physical thing though. In terms of ability there's not much between them.  Marshall occasionally took corners from the right for us but generally was the one left back on the halfway line for our set pieces.

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No. He never played there. It was only in his last season with us that he started to be a significant threat going forward. He always had a great engine and reasonable speed. He's tough as nails too. In his first couple of season with us though he tended to look like he was a threat with his crosses without any of them ever resulting in much. He tended to fizz the sort of balls across the box that you ended up thinking someone should have been there but by the time he'd been doing that for 2 or 3 years you accept actually he's just not picking anyone out and puting them where players are. He did however improve his delivery and particularly his own shooting in his last year. He probably learned a bit playing under Gary Naysmith in terms of his going forward from full back. Naysmith was a top class left back himself.

I'd agree his weakest points as a full back were when the attack came down the other side. He's not big enough to defend a back post header so resorted to trying to bump taller players off the ball which didn't work that often. Sometimes a little positionally suspect when the attack was coming down the other side too. He was fine defensively when the attack was on his side.

Said it before but for me Kevin Holt is bigger, stronger and far better in the air and therefore he's the better defender, and he's also a set piece threat. That's a physical thing though. In terms of ability there's not much between them.  Marshall occasionally took corners from the right for us but generally was the one left back on the halfway line for our set pieces.

Cheers.

His delivery was one of the most impressive things last year. Don't have the stats to hand (Maybe @RandomGuy. does with his paid subscription service?) but I'd have wagered he'd have been up there in our assist charts despite playing through injury and subsequently missing an extended period of the season. It's just one season, but I'd go as far as saying Marshall has been the best LB we've had since Matt Lockwood (Or when Gary Irvine decided he was to become a better LB than he ever was a RB for a season) and it's not a position we've been inherently weak in.

We've had the debate on Holt a hundred times before so I won't touch on it again - I'm just happy we're in a position where we can both say we've got quality LB's. I hope we're both still saying that by the end of the coming season!

Reason I asked about LW is that we have a young guy on trial from Celtic for the LB slot. Would likely be for the future/back-up but with budgets being tight, our lack of wingers and McDaid playing the best he did all season as a make-shift LWB thought it might be something worth exploring.

Edited by Ludo*1

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Cheers.

His delivery was one of the most impressive things last year. Don't have the stats to hand (Maybe @RandomGuy. does with his paid subscription service?) but I'd have wagered he'd have been up there in our assist charts despite playing through injury and subsequently missing an extended period of the season. It's just one season, but I'd go as far as saying Marshall has been the best LB we've had since Matt Lockwood (Or when Gary Irvine decided he was to become a better LB than he ever was a RB for a season) and it's not a position we've been inherently weak in.

We've had the debate on Holt a hundred times before so I won't touch on it again - I'm just happy we're in a position where we can both say we've got quality LB's. I hope we're both still saying that by the end of the coming season!

He only had 2 assists in total but I don't think you can take a huge deal from that in terms of the argument for pushing a player forward, very different skill crossing from deep to being able to get into dangerous areas.

I think he could be decent further forward, would love to see it tried. He's fairly fast and decent enough on the ball, I could see him taking players on and being a threat. There's a disproportionate no of left backs who have been trained in that position from youth because they are one of few left footers.

He only had 2 assists in total but I don't think you can take a huge deal from that in terms of the argument for pushing a player forward, very different skill crossing from deep to being able to get into dangerous areas. I think he could be decent further forward, would love to see it tried. He's fairly fast and decent enough on the ball, I could see him taking players on and being a threat. There's a disproportionate no of left backs who have been trained in that position from youth because they are one of few left footers.

One of his weaknesses for me was his lack of taking players on. Too often he'd stop and look for a side or backwards pass. I did always think he could have been given a shot at LM to see if his lack of defensive responsibility would have made him more confident at taking the risk of going past someone. That and his defensive positioning probably being his worst attribute.  

3 hours ago, harry94 said:

He only had 2 assists in total but I don't think you can take a huge deal from that in terms of the argument for pushing a player forward, very different skill crossing from deep to being able to get into dangerous areas.

I think he could be decent further forward, would love to see it tried. He's fairly fast and decent enough on the ball, I could see him taking players on and being a threat. There's a disproportionate no of left backs who have been trained in that position from youth because they are one of few left footers.

Marshall consistently turned back to his own goal then tried to take same player on again, didn't often reach the byline, He was often found out at the back post wrongside of his opponents losing goals. 

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Cheers.

His delivery was one of the most impressive things last year. Don't have the stats to hand (Maybe @RandomGuy. does with his paid subscription service?) but I'd have wagered he'd have been up there in our assist charts despite playing through injury and subsequently missing an extended period of the season.

I'll check tonight since I like you.

FWIW  full backs rarely seem to become effective wingers (Bale aside), its usually the other way around.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'll check tonight since I like you.

FWIW  full backs rarely seem to become effective wingers (Bale aside), its usually the other way around.

Even Bale didn't really become a winger, he became an attacking player but generally floats / plays more centrally than a winger.

I agree, there's a tendency to think full backs who overlap a lot and get up and down the park would make great wingers but on the odd occasion they are asked to play there they tend to look lost. I guess you'd really have to persevere with it.

At the same time as we had Marshall on the left we also had Rooney on the right and Scott Mercer still at the club too who was already a competent right back. We flirted with playing Rooney on the right of midfield a few times, though only once I think from the start of a game. It was a way of getting both him and Mercer on the pitch, allowing Rooney to get on the ball with his lung busting hard to stop runs, having his height on the park for set pieces but not having him ever as the last line of defence getting offsides wrong. Sounded great, didn't work. Picking the ball up generally higher up the pitch he didn't really get time to get a head of steam up the way he did bringing it from deep and his crossing wasn't good enough to play wide. Experiment quickly abandoned and Rooney generally didn't play if Mercer and the centre backs were fit.

Guest TOPFITTER
20 hours ago, JTulip said:

The winners of the annual Queens Trust members draw....

Thank you to everyone that has joined the Queens Trust for 2020/21 from new members, renewals, returning members, life members, and those that do monthly direct debits. The support has been fantastic as we reached a record 312 members.

From members in Dumfries to many all over the UK and to even some abroad. Thank you.

We have some extra prizes this year. For these we would like to say a big thank you to Roderick Pool who very kindly donated 2 junior blue tickets and also a big thank you to the Doonhamer Travel Club who very kindly donated a prize of 5 free travels to central belt games when travel to away games resumes. 

We have also added a new prize ourselves for what we feel is a key age group in the support of those that are students or aged 16-21. 

The Queens Trust Committee held an online meeting to conduct this evenings draw. The lucky winners are:

QOS Season tickets:
Adult: David Main
Senior: Hugh Close
Student/16-21: Cameron Harper
Junior Blue: Harry Cameron
Junior Blue: Hugo Purdie
Junior Blue: Jamie Robson
Junior Blue: Jack Gracie

Bus travel with the Travel Club (5 games): Ali Cronie

Thank you all once again for your great support. It is very much appreciated.

What an excellent effort, that must be a fair proportion of the regulars who turn up at Palmerston supporting Queens and The Trust suggesting to me you are doing things that the Fans support. Don't be discouraged by those who would like to see the Trust disappear so they can feel like they are the best Voice of the Fans.

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

His delivery was one of the most impressive things last year. I'd have wagered he'd have been up there in our assist charts despite playing through injury and subsequently missing an extended period of the season.

If you exclude players who played under 700 minutes...

Crosses p90: 4.63 (Dundee 2nd best player, behind McDaid (4.96), and divisional leader in terms of full backs)

Cross accuracy: 37.66% (Dundees 3rd best player. Behind McDaid (37.82%), and divisional leader Kerr (48.65%). Marshall 5th in division for full backs)

Assists p90: 0.12 (Dundees 3rd best player, behind McGowan (0.15) and Dorrans (0.15), 5th in terms of full backs)

Expected Assists p90: 0.1 (Dundees 5th best player, McDaid the best at 0.22, 4th in terms of league full backs)

He seems alright tbf. Kerr has better accuracy but less crosses, so Marshall probably completes more crosses despite having less accuracy, if that makes sense. In terms of raw numbers he was slightly worse going forward than Harvie last season, but no other full back consistently sits above him in any attacking category.

Personally can’t wait to see the back of all this constant trust advertising. 

The winners of the annual Queens Trust members draw....
Thank you to everyone that has joined the Queens Trust for 2020/21 from new members, renewals, returning members, life members, and those that do monthly direct debits. The support has been fantastic as we reached a record 312 members.
From members in Dumfries to many all over the UK and to even some abroad. Thank you.
We have some extra prizes this year. For these we would like to say a big thank you to Roderick Pool who very kindly donated 2 junior blue tickets and also a big thank you to the Doonhamer Travel Club who very kindly donated a prize of 5 free travels to central belt games when travel to away games resumes. 
We have also added a new prize ourselves for what we feel is a key age group in the support of those that are students or aged 16-21. 
The Queens Trust Committee held an online meeting to conduct this evenings draw. The lucky winners are:
QOS Season tickets:
Adult: David Main
Senior: Hugh Close
Student/16-21: Cameron Harper
Junior Blue: Harry Cameron
Junior Blue: Hugo Purdie
Junior Blue: Jamie Robson
Junior Blue: Jack Gracie
Bus travel with the Travel Club (5 games): Ali Cronie
Thank you all once again for your great support. It is very much appreciated.

Just in case you missed the Trust Draw results Palmy Pie...... would hate to think you missed out on claiming your prize if you were lucky enough to win [emoji6]

1 hour ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

Have we played any bounce games yet?

56 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's not allowed before 14th September. Unless you mean amongst themselves.

Have a job doing that with only 1 goalie & 9 outfield Players unless Ross the Goalie coach plays and we have a 5 a side game.... 

5 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Have a job doing that with only 1 goalie & 9 outfield Players unless Ross the Goalie coach plays and we have a 5 a side game.... 

You know there are such things as Trialists, right?

Anyway we've also got most of a  Reserve squad signed up which should be published before the weekend, some of whom have also been training with the first team.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You know there are such things as Trialists, right?

Anyway we've also got most of a  Reserve squad signed up which should be published before the weekend, some of whom have also been training with the first team.

Oh so we are having a reserve team this season? Strange guessing it doesn't cost the club anything to run this team or under current circumstances surely there wouldn't be one this season. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

Just now, SUPERSOUTH said:

Oh so we are having a reserve team this season? 

Will be playing themselves every week as there is no reserve league football this coming season , find it strange a club would sign up a reserve team unless they are part of an academy and on no salary 

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

Will be playing themselves every week as there is no reserve league football this coming season , find it strange a club would sign up a reserve team unless they are part of an academy and on no salary 

Strange it must be financed, I doubt the club could afford to run with a reserve side under current circumstances.... Surely any money will go towards the first team squad.