The Queen of the South thread

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Thats what the rules say. Though at this stage its only guaranteed for season ticket holders. 

Has the SPFL not given permission for PPV yet? Why would they deny that when they’ve allowed it for the Premiership and more Premiership games are on tv? Would make absolutely no sense to deny clubs in the lower leagues access to funds, particularly from away fans who might not be allowed to travel. And if all home season ticket holders could be accommodated in the stadium, there would be little point in streaming anyway. 

22 minutes ago, Flash said:

Has the SPFL not given permission for PPV yet? Why would they deny that when they’ve allowed it for the Premiership and more Premiership games are on tv? Would make absolutely no sense to deny clubs in the lower leagues access to funds, particularly from away fans who might not be allowed to travel. And if all home season ticket holders could be accommodated in the stadium, there would be little point in streaming anyway. 

I imagine they're still trying to encourage season ticket sales at this stage, holding fire on PPV.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

I haven't seen it if they have. I think they only granted it for the Premiership in the week ahead of the opening game so I'm not expecting any confirmation one way or other other earlier than that. As louis said below, I suspect it is intended to encourage season ticket sales for everyone, but ultimately it would be very surprising if permission wasn't granted. I wonder if part of the reason is the hope that if things continue to go well they might not actually have to in 6 weeks time. I guess it is likely that clubs like Hearts will have a restricted capacity below demand for a long time though.

1 hour ago, louisxiv said:

I imagine they're still trying to encourage season ticket sales at this stage, holding fire on PPV.

That would be my assumption. I don't think it really works though. Partly because I don't think fans generally really understand that's the position at the moment and a number just assume they'll be able to match stream, and partly because the fact the Premiership ARE doing that means it almost inconceivable that it won't be allowed.

On 26/08/2020 at 08:05, Skyline Drifter said:

I guess it is likely that clubs like Hearts will have a restricted capacity below demand for a long time though.

...and partly because the fact the Premiership ARE doing that means it almost inconceivable that it won't be allowed.

Interesting supposition here, and leads down some interesting rabbit holes. Let’s say you are on the Board, and Palmerston (as you know) has four stands of varying size, capacity, style and age. For the first two home games, 10% fans are allowed...so you can stream games to season ticket fans (and hopefully single game buyers [fans of either team] on a PPV basis) because that’s a maximum of 860 fans, below average attendance from last year.. Then the order goes out that 25% capacity is allowed...which at Palmerston is about 2,170. Now, is this a capacity restricted game because it’s 25% only OR is it not because Queens averaged about 1,400 fans a game last year? If the argument is about allowed versus average you can dig up numbers showing that having Hearts come would drive attendance way above the average, or you could perhaps have a stand or two “closed” for work or inability to install social distancing within that stand...and, voila, your 25%  capacity is now back below your average attendance.

4 hours ago, queenslad said:

How many subs are allowed on the bench this season and how many can come off the bench to play

I saw there was a possibility there may be a vote to see if we want to follow suit with the premier and have 9 subs with up to 5 used on 3 occasions but that was a a while ago and have heard nothing since.

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

Interesting supposition here, and leads down some interesting rabbit holes. Let’s say you are on the Board, and Palmerston (as you know) has four stands of varying size, capacity, style and age. For the first two home games, 10% fans are allowed...so you can stream games to season ticket fans (and hopefully single game buyers [fans of either team] on a PPV basis) because that’s a maximum of 860 fans, below average attendance from last year.. Then the order goes out that 25% capacity is allowed...which at Palmerston is about 2,170. Now, is this a capacity restricted game because it’s 25% only OR is it not because Queens averaged about 1,400 fans a game last year? If the argument is about allowed versus average you can dig up numbers showing that having Hearts come would drive attendance way above the average, or you could perhaps have a stand or two “closed” for work or inability to install social distancing within that stand...and, voila, your 25%  capacity is now back below your average attendance.

Palmerston has two stands,  one along each side,  a covered terrace behind one goal,  and an open terrace behind the other goal,   which is usually only opened to accommodate large visiting supports.  This open terracing of course could be utilised to increase space for social distancing if fans were allowed in but it lacks catering and toilet facilities which need to be brought in as required. 

11 hours ago, TxRover said:

The Rules refer to reduced capacity and, rightly, don’t mention the entirely irrelevant average crowd from last season. Even if the crowd is restricted to 90% of capacity due to Covid, streaming will be allowed under the current Rules. I’m sure there would have been a much less boring and convoluted way for you to tell us we get shit crowds.