The Queen of the South thread

15 hours ago, QosLoyal said:

GK Crucial needs to be decent.Hope Semple signs up. 

Yes a quality Goalkeeper is a must but not always easy to get & am sure most know my opinion on Semple, AJ will surely give the young defender a chance to carry on where he left off last season he is still only 22 and would be a good young player to get on the clubs books. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

Happy with signing today .
Fitzpatrick and McKee could give the ammunition dobbie needs and both goss and shields could be a good foil for him as well
Like the way we going for a younger player ( I know Buchanan is older ) .
Like a more experienced midfielder just to help the younger players even as squad player ( Wullie Gibson )
I would also resign lee Robinson as manager got the best out of him

Lee Robinson is currently working with Juventus, according to Stevie Campbell In Glory days of gold latest podcast.

Link:
https://aftn.co.uk/episode-12-glory-days-of-gold/

Of the ex morton players you've signed I have to say that I'd be disappointed if we signed any of them. Mckee while decent on the ball has the heart the size of a pea and just isn't very good. 

Buchanan was ok for us a couple of seasons ago but he's getting on and I'd question whether he was good or fit enough for the championship. 

Of the ex morton players you've signed I have to say that I'd be disappointed if we signed any of them. Mckee while decent on the ball has the heart the size of a pea and just isn't very good. 
Buchanan was ok for us a couple of seasons ago but he's getting on and I'd question whether he was good or fit enough for the championship. 

He’s 30 it’s hardly past it

18 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Of the ex Queens player you've signed I have to say that I'd be disappointed if we signed  them. Olier while decent on the ball has the heart the size of a pea and just isn't very good. 

Was he not excellent for Falkirk the season they finished 2nd?

Nah the season he first signed for us in the January he played once in the league at home to Dunfermline (played well tbf) then was injured until the last league game of the season against Dumbarton. He did score a belter of a free-kick against Dundee Utd in the first leg of the play off though.

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I can’t really remember Shields at Alloa but he looked good for Albion Rovers in League 1. If Dobbie needs a big powerful striker to play off then he’ll do that job.

He didn't manage to hold down a regular place for us leading the attack. However, after his loan was extended mid-season he did play more regularly on the right side of the three behind the striker. He is strong and quite quick and can deliver a decent ball. He turned out to be handy option in that role. 

His goalscoring record isn't great. He scored 3 that season with us and seems to have managed 1 at Aldershot. His career has been based on that season at Albion Rovers but even then he only got 9 in the league and it was the year they scored loads of goals (Trouten got nearly 30 I think) then ended up falling apart and getting relegated. He's at a stage where he'll really need to have a good season or he'll be going back part-time. That could work in your favour and I'm sure working with Dobbie will be good for him. Certainly has some good natural attributes which could make for a decent player if he puts it all together. Worth a gamble, especially when you have no players and the season is a few weeks away. 

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Nah the season he first signed for us in the January he played once in the league at home to Dunfermline (played well tbf) then was injured until the last league game of the season against Dumbarton. He did score a belter of a free-kick against Dundee Utd in the first leg of the play off though.

Yeah he’s bang average at best from what I saw

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

Of the ex Queens player you've signed I have to say that I'd be disappointed if we signed  them. Olier while decent on the ball has the heart the size of a pea and just isn't very good. 

Who's Olier? 

I'll refrain from making too many judgments on Queens' prospects for the season until I see which ringers we end up signing for key first team positions. Fitzpatrick at least has the potential be a very good signing though how much of the Partick fans' breathless hype was based on future prospect rather than current performance level is questionable.

Having Gregor Buchanan stroll around with his stupid Lord Farquad features and McKee doing his hiding act in midfield will do absolutely no good for the blood pressure and general seethe levels when you're getting well beaten in any game though.

Edited by vikingTON

McKee might end up doing a shift for you's if his attitude is changed and he gets his finger out, there is a player there. 

No joy with Buchanan, looking at him he looks like he's going to be a big, solid, commanding  Rolls Royce of a defender when actually he's an absolute haddie.

Obviously it would be nice if Shields and Goss were able to chip in with some goals, but for me the top priority for Johnston this season is to use a system that gets the best out of Dobbie.  I mean it's just an absolute no-brainer that you would utilise your best asset and Dobbie is the best we've ever had.  It was just awful watching him cut such a dejected figure for large parts of last season.

As we all know the best way of achieving that is to partner him with hard working, willing runners who occupy defenders and make space for him.  Gary Oliver was never going to be that player, but on paper Shields and Goss sound like they may.  Whether it works out or not is highly debatable at this stage, but to me it is at least a positive that he appears to be signing the right sort of players.

just saw on our thread that you've got Fitzpatrick in on loan, should be a really good signing. Unless he's being coached differently at Norwich he's pretty much an out and out right winger.

although he didn't get all that many minutes with us, iirc he doesn't just roast players with pace but he also tends to use it pretty effectively when he manages to do so i.e. doesn't beat someone 1v1 and then infuriatingly smashes a cross out for a goal kick/throw in 9 times out of 10.

14 hours ago, QosLoyal said:

GK Crucial needs to be decent. Hope Semple signs up. Also still need another winger and another attacking midfielder for me Rb too.

Be good if that happens  A decent loan keeper would be fine

Haven't posted on here for a while and spent bit of time catching up on what topics have been discussed.

The recent signings I'm fairly pleased with there were none that really made my eyes roll in exasperation. Be good to see if Tony Goss can step up to championship level.

The Lyndon Dykes money comes at such a crucial time in this global crisis that continues to this day. I wish him all the best and hope he does well down south.

Congratulations to the Trust (trust member myself) on record membership and also to shirt draw that saw so many entries at such a time. Fantastic backing of the club and I hope that continues on into the season (as and when fans are allowed back)

I'm looking forward to the season ahead and hope we have a decent season with success on and off the park.