The Queen of the South thread

From the outside looking in it really just looks like AJ has picked up whatever he can within his budget. McKee is the only one that “stood out” last season but then again has looked out his depth in the Championship.

I like the Fitzpatrick signing though. I remember him coming on against us the season before last and looked really handy. I don’t think Archibald or Caldwell actually played him that much though but he should do well.

Ach well at least we've got some bodies in.  I think we've been right to not rush, but it's nice to see us start resembling a football club again.  The next step will be to have us resembling a football team again.  That bit really has been a while.

From the outside looking in it really just looks like AJ has picked up whatever he can within his budget. McKee is the only one that “stood out” last season but then again has looked out his depth in the Championship.

I like the Fitzpatrick signing though. I remember him coming on against us the season before last and looked really handy. I don’t think Archibald or Caldwell actually played him that much though but he should do well.

Shields for me is in same category as Fitzpatrick, obviously didn’t work out like he hoped down south. But was impressed with him when he played against us for alloa. If we get Pybus of the first half of last season I’m again pretty pleased with that. McKee/McCabe are two I’m not made up with, but with McKees season last year, I’m hoping he’s going to carry on in that vein giving he was with a pretty average side in a tough league. McCabe I’ve myself convinced he signed for brechin as it was towards the end of the window and it was just to see him through till the summer, he obviously as a decent enough pedigree, going by a few of the sites I’ve looked at can be versatile but seems to play his best football more advanced. Again willing to give him a chance. Goss is one that could go either way, but I know of him, and know how hard he’s been working since he got the chance, it might not always come off but as long as he works himself into the ground I won’t criticise a boy for taking the chance he has. He’s got all the tools, and hopefully Dobbs and FT training can bring him on that but his needing

Shields for me is in same category as Fitzpatrick, obviously didn’t work out like he hoped down south. But was impressed with him when he played against us for alloa. If we get Pybus of the first half of last season I’m again pretty pleased with that. McKee/McCabe are two I’m not made up with, but with McKees season last year, I’m hoping he’s going to carry on in that vein giving he was with a pretty average side in a tough league. McCabe I’ve myself convinced he signed for brechin as it was towards the end of the window and it was just to see him through till the summer, he obviously as a decent enough pedigree, going by a few of the sites I’ve looked at can be versatile but seems to play his best football more advanced. Again willing to give him a chance. Goss is one that could go either way, but I know of him, and know how hard he’s been working since he got the chance, it might not always come off but as long as he works himself into the ground I won’t criticise a boy for taking the chance he has. He’s got all the tools, and hopefully Dobbs and FT training can bring him on that but his needing

I can’t really remember Shields at Alloa but he looked good for Albion Rovers in League 1. If Dobbie needs a big powerful striker to play off then he’ll do that job.

24 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Caldwell played him quite a bit, either starting or as a sub and he improved with games. He is a talented boy who will do really well for QoS, he can play wide or in behind the striker(s) and will contribute goals, great bit of business by you guys. 

Guest TOPFITTER

Fair chuffed for Tommy Goss, the lad gave everything in his time with the reserves last year and sometimes in football you get the rewards!! Thought Alberto Vezza might have been considered given his Consistency and Quality, maybe later this season.

12 minutes ago, TOPFITTER said:

Fair chuffed for Tommy Goss, the lad gave everything in his time with the reserves last year and sometimes in football you get the rewards!! Thought Alberto Vezza might have been considered given his Consistency and Quality, maybe later this season.

According to Transfermarkt site he’s a free agent. 

Caldwell played him quite a bit, either starting or as a sub and he improved with games. He is a talented boy who will do really well for QoS, he can play wide or in behind the striker(s) and will contribute goals, great bit of business by you guys. 

This boy is a talent, already looking forward to see him pulling on the Queens jersey!

First noticed him playing against us in December 2018. He ran the midfield that day and I believe some big clubs were already looking at him. Think he eventually left for around £350,000 to Norwich.

We managed to sneak a win that day when Sir Stephen scored in the 81st minute then pulled his hammy celebrating and went off injured. We also got away with what looked a stonewall penalty when Mikey Doyle took out Blair Spittal in injury time.

The squad is starting to take a bit of a shape, already looks a bit better than what we had last year! Hopefully AJ can get some more half decent players in and we can do a bit better than last season!

Don’t think my wife can take much more of me going home like a bear after watching some of the dross we witnessed in the second half of last season! [emoji15]

Happy with signing today .
Fitzpatrick and McKee could give the ammunition dobbie needs and both goss and shields could be a good foil for him as well
Like the way we going for a younger player ( I know Buchanan is older ) .
Like a more experienced midfielder just to help the younger players even as squad player ( Wullie Gibson )
I would also resign lee Robinson as manager got the best out of him

24 minutes ago, lowland star said:

I don’t think he has played a game since January 2019. As much as I liked him during his first spell with us, it’s a no from me. 

39 minutes ago, lowland star said:

Happy with signing today .
Fitzpatrick and McKee could give the ammunition dobbie needs and both goss and shields could be a good foil for him as well
Like the way we going for a younger player ( I know Buchanan is older ) .
Like a more experienced midfielder just to help the younger players even as squad player ( Wullie Gibson )

Been a good day signing wise think AJ next few signings will all be defensive players as still needing a number of defenders & a Goalkeeper. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

Yeah, he was there a month and played 4 games to be fair. He didn't leave Irish football until January. Manager has worked with him before and presumably knows what he's getting.

Maybe only played 4 games but didn’t see anything that would have made me want him to stay at Brechin. Games passed him by, extremely lazy and shirks out of challenges.

Be interesting to see how he gets on.

Given the challenges that we face in the market not a bad first foray into the market. Fitzpatrick on paper should have good potential as should Shields. Pleased to see us sign a local player - haven’t seen him but can’t believe that with a population of 30k+ the Dumfries area can’t produce a few decent prospects that we can nurture. Sandy Clark is the common denominator re Rhys McCabe- McCabe played in same boys team (managed by Sandy)at Livingston with Nicky Clark and Danny Wilson (who went to Liverpool). McCabe was really hot property but it’s all gone into reverse sadly. May be wrong but think he is Callum Fordyce’s cousin.

GK Crucial needs to be decent. Hope Semple signs up. Also still need another winger and another attacking midfielder for me Rb too.

Been a good day signing wise think AJ next few signings will all be defensive players as still needing a number of defenders & a Goalkeeper. 

15 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Given the challenges that we face in the market not a bad first foray into the market. Fitzpatrick on paper should have good potential as should Shields. Pleased to see us sign a local player - haven’t seen him but can’t believe that with a population of 30k+ the Dumfries area can’t produce a few decent prospects that we can nurture. Sandy Clark is the common denominator re Rhys McCabe- McCabe played in same boys team (managed by Sandy)at Livingston with Nicky Clark and Danny Wilson (who went to Liverpool). McCabe was really hot property but it’s all gone into reverse sadly. May be wrong but think he is Callum Fordyce’s cousin.

Yes he is Callums cousin and his Aunt is Shelsley Kerr Scotland ladies team manager.