The Queen of the South thread

Certainly not something that merits 'club legend' consideration unless you've reached Brechin City levels of permadiddyness.
This is true. We have record transfer fees and players contributing to well over 40 goals like Dykes's year on year down here in the Borders. He's not unique in the slightest when I come to think about it.

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

Certainly not something that merits 'club legend' consideration unless you've reached Brechin City levels of permadiddyness.

I dont think anyone ever suggested Dykes was a club legend. There is a discussion about how good he is now and how good he was when he left. Part of that includes a comparison with Sean O'Connor who is a club legend. Potentially being better doesnt automatically make Dykes a legend. Legendary status isnt necessarily related to quality. 

Geordie Cloy is a club legend! 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not from me you're not. I thought he was a massive loss at the time and said so. If there's revisionism now, and there is, it's from people who couldn't see his worth at the time and have come to realise they were wrong.

I'm one of them, I admit.

Did Sean not play for Dundee Utd him and Dobbie got more goals as a partnership than Dykes Dobbie 
Sure we had a better team but everyone did back then. And a scotland or oz caps a bit easier to get than an England 1
They're both excellent pros who follow the managers instructions no one can ask more 
But sheepheid is a legend
Not convinced that's true re the goals as partnerships? Show your working?

48 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:
5 hours ago, cooshedder said:
Did Sean not play for Dundee Utd him and Dobbie got more goals as a partnership than Dykes Dobbie 
Sure we had a better team but everyone did back then. And a scotland or oz caps a bit easier to get than an England 1
They're both excellent pros who follow the managers instructions no one can ask more 
But sheepheid is a legend

Not convinced that's true re the goals as partnerships? Show your working?

Missed that. There's not a chance thats even close to being true without even checking facts.

Dobbie has 162 goals for us, 11 of which came last season, so 151 up to Dykes leaving. He got 55 of them in his first spell so 96 whilst he and Dykes were together at the club. In fact I think Dobbie's 1st goal of his 2nd spell and Dykes 1st goal for us came in the same game, the 3-1 win at Hibs in the League Cup. Dykes got 20 odd goals for us in total I think. There may have been the odd goal from either one scored while the other was injured or subbed but it seems clear they got 115 - 120 goals between them as a 'partnership' in 3 years. 

Dobbie got 55 in his first spell with us. Sean got something like 40 across three spells, the first and last of which Dobbie wasnt at the club. They were together from Jan 07 to late 08 really. Not quite 2 years before injury against Ross County pretty much finished Sean. Dobbie got some of his 55 after Sean was injured. Sean cant have got more than 20 or so goals in that same time spell. Its not even close. They must be 40 odd goals less as a pairing. Of course they were more than a year or so less together but whilst a time adjusted rate would be closer, the Dykes / Dobbie pairing was certainly more prolific. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Just weighing in here as an outsider.

You really don’t need to go that in depth into the stats to show that Dykes and Dobbie was a good partnership. You just had to see them play. Dobbie is obviously an outstanding player but Dykes did so much for him that season in a supporting role. Obviously Moffat isn’t as physical as Dykes, but did a similar job in helping Shankland in the same season and in League 1 the year before.

What a bunch we are, we get a decent sell on fee for an asset we had in our team and everyone is bickering about the past.  Let's get that money and spend it wisely and look forward. 

He helped our talisman enormously and I'm sure he would be the first to send him a good luck message or call. 

I always liked him being a handful for the opposition. I think that kind of role is very underrated. 

Bring on the new season and hopefully pushing up rather than looking down. 

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Just weighing in here as an outsider.

You really don’t need to go that in depth into the stats to show that Dykes and Dobbie was a good partnership. You just had to see them play. Dobbie is obviously an outstanding player but Dykes did so much for him that season in a supporting role. Obviously Moffat isn’t as physical as Dykes, but did a similar job in helping Shankland in the same season and in League 1 the year before.

This. And yet so many of our fans either watched it but didnt see it, or didnt want to see it.

On the subject of Shankland and Dykes though since you mention him, I was thinking about this yesterday actually. Two very different players with different attributes but its an interesting contrast between them and how their respective clubs handled their departures. Its not meant as a criticism of Ayr because I'm not sure how much it was in their control and whether anyone he wanted to go to made any serious offer but in Jan 2019 both ourselves and Ayr had a forward attracting the interest of bigger sides. Most of the clamour was around Shankland of course because he scored goals. There was speculation of 6 figure bids from abroad and England but Ayr took what their fans felt at the time I think was the bullish approach of not selling him but letting him see out his contract and try to earn them promotion. Meanwhile QoS quietly negotiated a deal with Livingston thst saw Dykes switch clubs in January but stay on loan for the rest of the season with a sell on percentage of a future fee. 

Both players played for their existing side for the rest of the season then left. Shankland had a quiet spell and Ayr finished 4th, losing the playoff to Inverness. We floundered our way through the 2nd half of that season, eventually finishing 9th but Dykes was excellent in the playoffs and pretty much destroyed Raith in the 1st leg of the final. 

12 months on Lawrence Shankland had surprisingly joined Dundee Utd as a free agent but had a stellar season, firing them to the title and getting capped for Scotland. There remains speculation now of big money moves to France or elsewhere. Ayr didnt get a penny for him however.

Lyndon Dykes had a standout year in the top division at Livingston, earning himself a 7 figure move to the English Championship and apparently an imminent international call up. Queen of the South may well end up breaking our 25 year old record transfer fee in a secondary fee percentage. Now whether you are a Dykes fan or not, you have to give credit to our Board (& to Livi for agreeing the terms). Well played to 'the suits', well played indeed.

This. And yet so many of our fans either watched it but didnt see it, or didnt want to see it.
On the subject of Shankland and Dykes though since you mention him, I was thinking about this yesterday actually. Two very different players with different attributes but its an interesting contrast between them and how their respective clubs handled their departures. Its not meant as a criticism of Ayr because I'm not sure how much it was in their control and whether anyone he wanted to go to made any serious offer but in Jan 2019 both ourselves and Ayr had a forward attracting the interest of bigger sides. Most of the clamour was around Shankland of course because he scored goals. There was speculation of 6 figure bids from abroad and England but Ayr took what their fans felt at the time I think was the bullish approach of not selling him but letting him see out his contract and try to earn them promotion. Meanwhile QoS quietly negotiated a deal with Livingston thst saw Dykes switch clubs in January but stay on loan for the rest of the season with a sell on percentage of a future fee. 
Both players played for their existing side for the rest of the season then left. Shankland had a quiet spell and Ayr finished 4th, losing the playoff to Inverness. We floundered our way through the 2nd half of that season, eventually finishing 9th but Dykes was excellent in the playoffs and pretty much destroyed Raith in the 1st leg of the final. 
12 months on Lawrence Shankland had surprisingly joined Dundee Utd as a free agent but had a stellar season, firing them to the title and getting capped for Scotland. There remains speculation now of big money moves to France or elsewhere. Ayr didnt get a penny for him however.
Lyndon Dykes had a standout year in the top division at Livingston, earning himself a 7 figure move to the English Championship and apparently an imminent international call up. Queen of the South may well end up breaking our 25 year old record transfer fee in a secondary fee percentage. Now whether you are a Dykes fan or not, you have to give credit to our Board (& to Livi for agreeing the terms). Well played to 'the suits', well played indeed.

There was never any official bids made in the January window and I think this was down to Ayr standing firm on what they wanted for him and the player himself saying he was happy to stay. He’s not stupid though. He knew he would be in for a healthy signing on fee that he might not have got had the club had to pay an actual fee for him.

We’ve lost something like 5 or 6 players now that I would say were sellable assets had they been on longer contracts and as it stands we’ve only had a five figure compensation fee for Danny Harvie and there’s apparently a small sell on fee in Michael Roses contract that he himself negotiated as a thank you. I’m not sold on how that works tbh but McCall said it existed last season so it’s maybe true.

Looking back it would’ve been far wiser had the Ayr board tried to do a similar deal as you guys I’d with Dykes where they said they weren’t fussed with an actual transfer fee knowing full well that Dykes had the potential to make them a nice bit of money in a year or two. It was a total leap of faith and it played off nicely for them as it might just allow them to come out of the football shutdown a bit better and help Johnson bring in a couple of decent players.

I am a bit surprised that Dykes has done so well but I'm very happy for him and Queens. He must have tremendous determination and workrate to have improved himself so much in a short time. He was raw with us but I always thought he had some potential. There does seem to be a general dislike for him which I don't really understand although I'm sure I can hazard a guess...

Any more signing news OR fairly reliable rumours? I thought AJ was already back to work?! 

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well done indeed to the board on the Dykes deal but surprised Livi did not just sign him on a pre contract in Jan .

Would they not then got Dykes for free in the summer .

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If you ask any Rovers fans (or any fan who watched those games) then not a single one would've picked out Dobbie as  being a standout. He clearly had an influence on the game, but Dykes utterly ran the show that game. We were utterly mediocre throughout that season with a poor squad and we got exposed for that. 

12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

This is true. We have record transfer fees and players contributing to well over 40 goals like Dykes's year on year down here in the Borders. He's not unique in the slightest when I come to think about it.

'Contributing to over 40 goals' in terms of actual goals and actual assists or just a made up statistic to pretend that you had a top-class strike partnership going on while battling against the mighty Montrose just to stay in this rancid division? It's definitely the latter. 

I've got no idea why you're celebrating a 'record transfer fee' as an accomplishment for your club considering it was based entirely on what he did at Livingston. It's certainly a big windfall to gain right now but claiming it as some sort of final act of generosity from your club legend player is cringeworthy to say the least. 

Edited by vikingTON

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

I've got no idea why you're celebrating a 'record transfer fee' as an accomplishment for your club considering it was based entirely on what he did at Livingston. It's certainly a big windfall to gain right now but claiming it as some sort of final act of generosity from your club legend player is cringeworthy to say the least. 

Where has anyone called him a club legend? 

6 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Where has anyone called him a club legend? 

19 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

As for the legend status, why can't he be regarded as one for this club? As previously mentioned he was part of incredible partnership and is likely going to be the club's record transfer fee. We aren't exactly blessed with such players on a regular basis so if someone regards Dykes as a club legend then I wouldn't think it was a ridiculous view to have.