The Queen of the South thread

Queens Trust draw!

There is still time to join the Queens Trust and be in with a chance of being one of the lucky winners of the 4 QOS season tickets we offer in our annual members draw. The draw will be made on 31st August 2020. 

The membership response this year has been fantastic reaching 250 to allow us a 4th entry in the Queens shirt draw. We are currently now at 268 members. It would be fantastic if we could reach 300 members to help us do even more to help the club at this very difficult time for football. 

Trust membership is only £10/£5 for the year! Please help us by joining the Trust today. Persuade a friend or sign up a family member. Support the Trust, help the club AND you also have a chance to win Queens season tickets.

£10 Adult membership... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253819075856

£5 juniors/seniors/all concessions membership... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252996969388

Other details of how to join... http://queenstrust.org/?page_id=36

Some members below who have joined recently to help us reach our record number. Robbie and Euan Purdie, Peter Davers, the QOS Orkney supporters club of Callum, Evie and Robbie Murdoch, David Kirkpatrick with our first Queens supporting pet! then we have Hilary Kinghorn and George Service and Mark Mccreadie. Thank you to you all! 

1ADDB4F9-50A9-4993-B67C-BA0A65D0038C.jpeg

Edited by JTulip

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

They still had an amount of EPL players, and those who would go on to play regularly in the Championship even after they were relegated.

They neither physically dominated Saints or Hibs in defence that pre-season, and neither of us had anyone as "built" as Dykes.

It was fucking pre season for christ sake, what were you expecting, them to be flying into the 50/50s?

Pre Season results mean nothing, it doesn't matter a single, little, iota that you beat a shite Sunderland side in pre season. Not one, not even a little bit of relevance. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

It was fucking pre season for christ sake, what were you expecting, them to be flying into the 50/50s?

Pre Season results mean nothing, it doesn't matter a single, little, iota that you beat a shite Sunderland side in pre season. Not one, not even a little bit of relevance. 

Yes, it was pre-season, for both sides. St Johnstone weren't halfway through a season.

The result is entirely irrelevant, my sole point was that a Championship side, containing players who have become Championship regulars, weren't physically stronger, or quicker, than either St Johnstone or Hibernian, so the idea that Dykes is going to struggle physically in that league is bizarre. 

You've clearly ignored that very simple point because you're desperate to have a go at me, presumably because that weirdo Dundee fan did aswell. Thats not how you make pals, m8.

I wondered how long it would take Naysmith to try and take some credit for Dykes' progress.

I was never a fan of Dykes but realise now he was actually held back by Naysmith's defensive approach to the game.

Since his move to Livi he has been liberated and used as a proper No. 9.   Obviously coached better and developed more physically and allowed to use those attributes more.

Game after game for us there was an invisible line in the opposition half that he was not allowed to cross.

It maybe, understandably, that Dykes was frustrated by that as very often he looked disinterested and lazy.  He maybe had it in him but didn't always show it for us as he has done for Livi.

Best game he had for us was away to Raith in the play-offs, funnily enough without the influence of Naysmith.

In terms of comparison with Sean O' Connor, then in their time with us O'Connor wins hands down.

Much more commanding in the air, braver, never say die attitude and much underrated in terms of touch and ability.

Any doubts, watch closely his goal in the Cup semi and his determination in the Cup Final to get THAT cross in for Tosh.

The game in 02/03 - I think - when we went top at home to Inverness he was outstanding, Not just his goals but his movement in taking defenders away to create space for others.  

Another outstanding memory , I think home to Livi or maybe Inverness, he went right in on the goalkeeper to challenge for a header  right on half-time I think where he ended up in a heap - maybe unconscious - and the ball ended up in the back of the net.

I agree with the person who said  SeanO'Connor = legend.

I cannot come up with similar instances for Dykes but wish him all the best and thanks for generating such a windfall for the Club at this difficult time.

54 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, it was pre-season, for both sides. St Johnstone weren't halfway through a season.

The result is entirely irrelevant, my sole point was that a Championship side, containing players who have become Championship regulars, weren't physically stronger, or quicker, than either St Johnstone or Hibernian, so the idea that Dykes is going to struggle physically in that league is bizarre. 

You've clearly ignored that very simple point because you're desperate to have a go at me, presumably because that weirdo Dundee fan did aswell. Thats not how you make pals, m8.

I'm having a go at you because you're using a pre season game to measure how physical and aggressive teams are. I genuinely couldn't think of a worse way to measure how physical or aggressive teams are. And yet you doubled down on your supposed point by referencing Jayden Stockley. Don't flatter yourself by thinking this is me desperate to have a go at you, it's actually a case of you chatting absolute nonsense. 

10 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I'm having a go at you because you're using a pre season game to measure how physical.

Do players magically shrink during the Summer then grow the moment the season starts?

22 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Manager not back until Monday 24th.

No idea why the manager is still on furlough surely this week he should have building a squad ready to start training next week .

Are Queens set up for testing the players expensive think over £100 every test but has to be done this is when the James Anderson money will be used 

It is very rare for any Queens player to get a move of this scale to England and for us to get a deserved slice of the financial action is a huge boost. Needless to say I wish him well and like all Queens fans we will be watching his progress with interest.

Personally and I said this repeatedly in his last season with us, Naysmith completely mis-used what could and should have been an invaluable resource. It was blatantly obvious that he was an out and out No 9 to be deployed on the shoulder of last defender with Dobbie up alongside him in a front two. If that meant bolstering the central midfield to accommodate a front two then so be it. That pairing was our “competitive advantage”. It was our USP and had we really exploited it to the full we could and should have been in top 4. To continually withdraw Dykes into a quasi midfield role was a schoolboy error and our dreadful finishing position was underperformance of the highest order. Whatever tactical reshuffle was necessary to make the front two happen should have been delivered. Yes we might have conceded a few more goals but we could have outscored teams with the potency of that pairing.

It didn’t take Gary Holt long to realise that Dykes’ athleticism and physicality was ideally suited to the number 9 role (to be fair it is hardly a difficult observation) and by deploying him properly it enabled him to properly “catch the eye” and secure the dream move.

22 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

No idea why the manager is still on furlough surely this week he should have building a squad ready to start training next week .

Are Queens set up for testing the players expensive think over £100 every test but has to be done this is when the James Anderson money will be used 

Wouldn't think players new contracts or training will be starting till September.

He maybe had it in him but didn't always show it for us as he has done for Livi.*

In terms of comparison with Sean O' Connor, then in their time with us O'Connor wins hands down.
Much more commanding in the air, braver, never say die attitude and much underrated in terms of touch and ability.
Not just his goals but his movement in taking defenders away to create space for others. **

I agree with the person who said  SeanO'Connor = legend.
I cannot come up with similar instances for Dykes but wish him all the best and thanks for generating such a windfall for the Club at this difficult time.***

I'm not shocked to see you belittling Dykes given your main contributions to this thread have been slating Naysmith for not playing Lyle. Naysmith saw a Dykes/Dobbie combination as the best we had to offer; something you wholeheartedly disagreed with. It was obviously the right call by Naysmith and yet you're still slating him [emoji38]

* He showed every for us that he did at Livi with the exception of scoring. Dykes was pretty woeful in front of goal for us but found his shooting boots at Livi. All his other attributes were well and truly on show for us.

** O'Connor doesn't win hands down. Both linked up superbly with Dobbie. D + O were in an excellent side (probably the best side we've ever had) and did incredibly well getting us into Europe, with O'Connor obviously getting our first ever European goal. D + D were in a god awful side yet they linked up to give us our best ever goal return between our forwards in modern times. Dykes's touch and technical ability was far better than O'Connor's. And he did just as well as O'Connor in taking defenders away to give Dobbie space. Personally I don't know who I'd put as Dobbie's best partner but neither of them "wins hands down"

*** If you can't see what he brought to our side then of course you won't be able to think of instances. You spent the majority of his time with us fizzing that he was keeping Lyle out the side so it's understandable. As for the legend status, why can't he be regarded as one for this club? As previously mentioned he was part of incredible partnership and is likely going to be the club's record transfer fee. We aren't exactly blessed with such players on a regular basis so if someone regards Dykes as a club legend then I wouldn't think it was a ridiculous view to have.

29 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm not shocked to see you belittling Dykes given your main contributions to this thread have been slating Naysmith for not playing Lyle. Naysmith saw a Dykes/Dobbie combination as the best we had to offer; something you wholeheartedly disagreed with. It was obviously the right call by Naysmith and yet you're still slating him emoji38.png

* He showed every for us that he did at Livi with the exception of scoring. Dykes was pretty woeful in front of goal for us but found his shooting boots at Livi. All his other attributes were well and truly on show for us.

** O'Connor doesn't win hands down. Both linked up superbly with Dobbie. D + O were in an excellent side (probably the best side we've ever had) and did incredibly well getting us into Europe, with O'Connor obviously getting our first ever European goal. D + D were in a god awful side yet they linked up to give us our best ever goal return between our forwards in modern times. Dykes's touch and technical ability was far better than O'Connor's. And he did just as well as O'Connor in taking defenders away to give Dobbie space. Personally I don't know who I'd put as Dobbie's best partner but neither of them "wins hands down"

*** If you can't see what he brought to our side then of course you won't be able to think of instances. You spent the majority of his time with us fizzing that he was keeping Lyle out the side so it's understandable. As for the legend status, why can't he be regarded as one for this club? As previously mentioned he was part of incredible partnership and is likely going to be the club's record transfer fee. We aren't exactly blessed with such players on a regular basis so if someone regards Dykes as a club legend then I wouldn't think it was a ridiculous view to have.

Way off the mark.  Naysmith DIDN'T play Dykes and Dobbie as a partnership, that's the big error.    RJC is spot on, read his comments.  Naysmith has admitted as much in the press today.  You missed the point completely.

At the age of 23 Dykes had already played at a higher level than O’Connor ever did. Now at 24 he’ll be playing his trade in the second tier of English football which is a very good standard. Add an imminent international call up into the mix as well. 

I liked big Sean O’Connor but Lyndon certainly has more about him hence why he is where he is. 

Gary naysmith would not know a footballer if he walked in to one .
Poor manager horrible human being .
As for the Sean - Lyndon debate
Sean a good honest player and a gem of a guy
Lyndon potentially could be anything and I think he will be a major figure for Scotland in years to come .
I just Hope queens have a cut of his next move as well

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Do players magically shrink during the Summer then grow the moment the season starts?

They certainly aren't very aggressive in pre season. 

Championship clubs invest and spend far more into player nutrition and fitness, it's then in turn not a shock that players playing at these clubs with vastly more resources are then in turn stronger. 

Still though yeah, you played an awful Sunderland side in a pre season game however many years ago and that's definitely the most relevant way to judge the physicality of a whole league.