The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's exactly the kind of player we've been after for years. I rarely take notice of Falkirk fans reviews on players tbh as they seem to hate all of their ex-players emoji38.png

...Pretty much all our ex-players over the last 2 & 1/2 years deserve all the vitriol they get.

As someone who would have watched Dobbie run riot against us, you saw the shockingly poor standard we had on offer over that timescale. Very few exceptions amongst that motley rag-bag of plodders and slow-motion surrender-monkeys, & McKee certainly wasn't one of the exceptions.  Amazed he's got a Championship gig. 

7 hours ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

...Pretty much all our ex-players over the last 2 & 1/2 years deserve all the vitriol they get.

As someone who would have watched Dobbie run riot against us, you saw the shockingly poor standard we had on offer over that timescale. Very few exceptions amongst that motley rag-bag of plodders and slow-motion surrender-monkeys, & McKee certainly wasn't one of the exceptions.  Amazed he's got a Championship gig. 

A player like McKee needs the right players around him and a system that suits his style of play. Just because he wasn’t effective whilst playing for your gang of shite doesn’t mean he’s a bad player. He contributed 15 assists in 28 League 1 starts last season, if that isn’t worth another crack at the Championship I don’t know what is tbh. 

7 hours ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

McKee probably realised the huge mistake he'd made signing for Paul Hartley within a few weeks and decided to work his ticket out.

Joe McKee is an absolutely class act, and I'd be really pleased to see him get back to full-time football at a club like Queen of the South.

He was most definitely our marquee signing last summer, and came into a squad that was really short on both experience and (to be brutally honest) quality. Falkirk fans were quick to pile into our thread to tell us how awful he is, how much he'd shirk challenges and go hiding as soon as the going got tough. 

Let me tell you, the going was very tough at the start of last season and McKee didn't once hide on the pitch. In fact if anything, aside from the fact he's a very classy passer of a football, the way he was always willing to take the ball in really any situation and try and make something happen was evident from the his first minutes in a Sons shirt. When he came to us he was totally out of love with football, he admitted that himself on the Record Lower League podcast with myself and esteemed Doonhamer Colin Paterson. You could see pretty quickly that he was enjoying himself again and - more than that - relished the responsibility and pressure of being a key player.

As a player he's very neat and tidy. Yes he clocked up a huge number of assists for us (which says all you need to know about his dead ball delivery) but I'd say his passing was definitely his main attribute. He's just a really nice player to watch. Danny Lennon always spoke very highly of him last season, and I think he's exactly his sort of player if that makes sense? Good on the ball, always looking to get on it, and usually keeping things relatively simple. 

As a professional (and as a guy) he's different class. All last year he trained full-time on his own on days where Sons weren't training. I spoke to him quite a few times for the paper (and obviously we had him on the podcast) and he would always make a point of saying hi or stopping for a quick chat if I saw him after a game. He also called me up to thank me for taking the time to speak to him, inviting him on the podcast and wished me and Sons all the best on the night where he officially left us. As someone who spends a large degree of his life feeling like an inconvenience to lower league footballers, that really meant a lot.

In terms of weaknesses, I think he needs to add more goals to his game. He's a very good striker of the ball, but he really should've scored more than twice last season. If you want to get the most out of him then he probably needs a destroyer type alongside him too. That aside, and with the right coaching/management, I don't see any reason why he can't do a good job for you guys next season.

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Joe McKee is an absolutely class act, and I'd be really pleased to see him get back to full-time football at a club like Queen of the South.

He was most definitely our marquee signing last summer, and came into a squad that was really short on both experience and (to be brutally honest) quality. Falkirk fans were quick to pile into our thread to tell us how awful he is, how much he'd shirk challenges and go hiding as soon as the going got tough. 

Let me tell you, the going was very tough at the start of last season and McKee didn't once hide on the pitch. In fact if anything, aside from the fact he's a very classy passer of a football, the way he was always willing to take the ball in really any situation and try and make something happen was evident from the his first minutes in a Sons shirt. When he came to us he was totally out of love with football, he admitted that himself on the Record Lower League podcast with myself and esteemed Doonhamer Colin Paterson. You could see pretty quickly that he was enjoying himself again and - more than that - relished the responsibility and pressure of being a key player.

As a player he's very neat and tidy. Yes he clocked up a huge number of assists for us (which says all you need to know about his dead ball delivery) but I'd say his passing was definitely his main attribute. He's just a really nice player to watch. Danny Lennon always spoke very highly of him last season, and I think he's exactly his sort of player if that makes sense? Good on the ball, always looking to get on it, and usually keeping things relatively simple. 

choofed.gif.36238632e894d58261d9a93423e6436f.gif

McKee is dung at Championship level which is why he washed up in the seaside leagues as your 'marquee signing' in the first place. Being a big fish in a very wee pond does not suddenly make him 'an absolute class act'. 

19 minutes ago, virginton said:

choofed.gif.36238632e894d58261d9a93423e6436f.gif

McKee is dung at Championship level which is why he washed up in the seaside leagues as your 'marquee signing' in the first place. Being a big fish in a very wee pond does not suddenly make him 'an absolute class act'. 

Being our marquee signing last year did not say much, admittedly. 

10 hours ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Should fit right in.

29 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Hopefully he's similar to last guy in his late 20's who got a kick up the arse at Dumbarton before signing for us...

Alan Martin?

Andy Stirling?

Hopefully, if there's any truth in the suggestion, he does considerably better to be honest.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Wonder when we'll see the new kit. Guess still be a couple of weeks sorting out sponsorship branding etc.

I'd be surprised if we see the new kit before we play a competitive game. It only arrived the week before the 1st game last couple of years and that was with a lot more preparation time. We have contingencies in place in case it's delayed. It's certainly not going to be available to buy before the competitive stuff starts.

The logos are all sorted and approved with the League now so production will be in hands of Macron from tomorrow I think.

Regarding season tickets,  it's probably been covered elsewhere and probably connected to office staff being furloughed,  but when are season tickets due to be posted out? I realise there's no great rush considering it'll be October at the very earliest before their needed for streaming or possibly even attending. 

5 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Regarding season tickets,  it's probably been covered elsewhere and probably connected to office staff being furloughed,  but when are season tickets due to be posted out? I realise there's no great rush considering it'll be October at the very earliest before their needed for streaming or possibly even attending. 

They aren't printed yet, although the order was confirmed yesterday. They won't be posted out until the office staff return to work though anyway as you say. I'd imagine that's probably early September but no confirmed date yet.