The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well neither have I but its not the kind of service either of us is likely to need. I also dont hold them to the same standards. They are a local company and were sponsoring them before Mileson came along. I wasnt joking, I genuinely havent been in a Subway since they sponsored Gretna. 

Actually I have. Once. In Glasgow when at a client that had a Subway 100 yards away and nothing else for miles. It was Subway or no lunch! Same client had a sandwich van parked along the road from it when I went back in subsequent years. I went there rather than the Subway.

Anyone other than a football supporter would regard that as petty and vindictive behaviour, and note that you would almost certainly have got better value by going to Subway.  However, we are football supporters.  I think my daughter might occasionally go to Subway so I will have a word 😁

On 07/08/2020 at 23:16, Ludo*1 said:

Wee question for you chaps - Who's your fiercest rivals? I know when Gretna were doing their thing they were probably the main but that was like a 5 year bubble. Was that enough? Stranraer have been around much longer, but the distance... And then there's Annan?

Do you consider anyone as your rivals?

The young team absoulotely hate the much more successful Ayr United so much so they were caught singing anti-Ayr United songs in a Scottish cup tie against Aberdeen. A bizzare episode. 

15 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

Anyone other than a football supporter would regard that as petty and vindictive behaviour, and note that you would almost certainly have got better value by going to Subway.  However, we are football supporters.  I think my daughter might occasionally go to Subway so I will have a word 😁

Leaving aside the fact that I couldnt care less about value, I'm 100% certain my lunch from the sandwich truck was considerably cheaper than Subway would have been. I didnt actually like Subway much anyway

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well neither have I but its not the kind of service either of us is likely to need. I also dont hold them to the same standards. They are a local company and were sponsoring them before Mileson came along. I wasnt joking, I genuinely havent been in a Subway since they sponsored Gretna. 

Actually I have. Once. In Glasgow when at a client that had a Subway 100 yards away and nothing else for miles. It was Subway or no lunch! Same client had a sandwich van parked along the road from it when I went back in subsequent years. I went there rather than the Subway.

Armstrong started sponsoring Gretna in 2003-04.  Was Mileson not on board by then?  

Although the Subway related pettiness is clearly admirable, I have to wonder where such principle over perceived pragmatism disappeared to in 2012.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

10 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

The young team absoulotely hate the much more successful Ayr United so much so they were caught singing anti-Ayr United songs in a Scottish cup tie against Aberdeen. A bizzare episode. 

😂 

11 hours ago, qos1990 said:

IMG_5964.jpg

AJ should be back full time from tomorrow we are going to miss out on players with him off another week .

If we had a core of a squad together it would not be so bad but to only have 3 players signed makes us miles behind any other Championship team .

When does training start back  before the end of August ?

4 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

AJ should be back full time from tomorrow we are going to miss out on players with him off another week .

If we had a core of a squad together it would not be so bad but to only have 3 players signed makes us miles behind any other Championship team .

Your pledge to stop wetting your knickers this season didnt last long did it? Service as usual resumed.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Armstrong started sponsoring Gretna in 2003-04.  Was Mileson not on board by then?  

Although the Subway related pettiness is clearly admirable, I have to wonder where such principle over perceived pragmatism disappeared to in 2012.

So they did  thought they were on board when Gretna entered the league a year earlier but that was Gretna Gateway I see. Mileson came onboard in late 02 / early 03 but didnt take over control till sometime in 03/04. Details are vague about exactly when. 

As for 2012, we've been over this interminably. I just dont care enough about Rangers to get my knickers in a twist about them. You do. Your principles are not mine.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

As for 2012, we've been over this interminably. I just dont care enough about Rangers to get my knickers in a twist about them. You do. Your principles are not mine.

:lol: Only teasing.

It seems that the Gretna issue really was entirely local for you, because when clubs spend suicidally beyond their means, while a compliant press lauds their associated 'achievements', you're sometimes fine with it.

Gee it a rest

11 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

That's a stinker of a group, I could easily see us finishing bottom.

Certainly not a good draw. Main seed is ok, Rather St Mirren than Kilmarnock and I'd rather not play against Lyndon either, though I'd guess he'll likely be gone by the time we play.

We were always going to get another Championship side too so I'd rather have Morton who are also major rebuilding than Dunfermline or Ayr.

Bottom end is horrible though with two of the three full time sides in the lower divisions including a no doubt point to prove Partick Thistle.

Lot of recent ex players too with Kyle Jacobs, Gary Oliver (bound to score), Connor Murray, Darren Brownlie, Mikey Doyle and Lee Kilday in there already.

I'll be happy enough for AJ to use these games to find out his best formation. Given the amount of games Dobbie was isolated up front last season I'm skeptical he can figure out his best formation in 4 games, but you get my point.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'll be happy enough for AJ to use these games to find out his best formation. Given the amount of games Dobbie was isolated up front last season I'm skeptical he can figure out his best formation in 4 games, but you get my point.

Only 3 of the games are potentially pre-season. Depending on the order of fixtures, it might only be 2.