The Queen of the South thread

Nothing on any of the official sites. 

Nothing is official until it’s on the official websites and like I’ve already said the manager is still on furlough so we can’t sign anyone. That will most likely change when he returns later this month.

52 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

Nothing is official until it’s on the official websites and like I’ve already said the manager is still on furlough so we can’t sign anyone. That will most likely change when he returns later this month.

I know that.

I was politely telling Brother Grimm that nothing has been announced yet. Maybe he'll tell us why he's so sure. 

Wee question for you chaps - Who's your fiercest rivals? I know when Gretna were doing their thing they were probably the main but that was like a 5 year bubble. Was that enough? Stranraer have been around much longer, but the distance... And then there's Annan?

Do you consider anyone as your rivals?

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Wee question for you chaps - Who's your fiercest rivals? I know when Gretna were doing their thing they were probably the main but that was like a 5 year bubble. Was that enough? Stranraer have been around much longer, but the distance... And then there's Annan?

The fiercest rivalry was certainly when Gretna were around. The derby is Stranraer though. We've never shared a division with Annan so they've never been seen as a rival (though with the trajectory we feel to be on at the moment, that's bound to change).

Pretty much what DHD said. I think every sensible football fan in Scotland shared our hate of all things Gretna, it was only worse for us given their proximity to us. Stranraer has historically been the Derby match and I think I'm right in saying they were feisty in days gone by. Nowadays they are a tame affair as we have been above them for so many years. When they were in serious financial trouble a few years back I was happy they pulled away from it. I was over the moon when Gretna folded so it shows you how the feelings are different. Annan will likely share a league with us soon enough but I don't think there will ever be real dislike there. Annan is a bit of a shithole in large parts but as for the club I really can't say I have any ill feelings, more a "good on them" approach.

Some folk see Ayr as a Derby. It isn't. It's just the next county over and a relatively close away day which means we take more than our usual support. Probably no different to Hamilton tbh. Though it seems to rile a fair few Ayr posters up when it's referred to as a Derby for some reason so I've no issue with folk saying it for that reason alone.

I absolutely loathed Gretna and everything about them. But I would love to have a rival with a club like that again. I think the worst thing about being a QoS supporter is that we really don't have that sort of Derby rivalry anymore (sadly).

29 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Definitely Stranraer for the traditional derby rivals. Gretna thing was genuine hate for a while the way they went about things. No tears were shed among Queens fans when they went under, though we are supportive of the genuine people who restarted again. 

We dont hate Stranraer but its a genuine derby rivalry even if 75 miles away and not playing at the same level for most of the last 20 years.

No rivalry at all with Annan. Two clubs will help each other out when they can and some fans of both will watch the other when their own club arent playing. Might change if we ever play consistently at the same level but it hasnt happened yet.

Gretna,'s very existence gave us our best experience as supporters, ironically. Tosh, McQuilken, Aitken all came to Queens on the back of Gretna's slow demise, and provided what most fans would say was the best they have seen. My biggest take from being a Queens fan for a good number of years, is that we hate nobody, have no fierce rivals which may be one of the reasons there is a malaise around the whole feeling of the club. Just a thought.

Gretna,'s very existence gave us our best experience as supporters, ironically. Tosh, McQuilken, Aitken all came to Queens on the back of Gretna's slow demise, and provided what most fans would say was the best they have seen. My biggest take from being a Queens fan for a good number of years, is that we hate nobody, have no fierce rivals which may be one of the reasons there is a malaise around the whole feeling of the club. Just a thought.
Swap Aitken with MacFarlane and I'd agree. We'd likely never have got those guys had it not been for Gretna. I don't agree with Aitken though given he had previously been with us.

I don't think I knew any QoS fan who didn't utterly despise Gretna either tbh. I hated everything they represented and felt genuine joy when they went tits up. The only sadness was for the couple of hundred real Gretna supporters who were there before Mileson (and are likely still there).

32 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Definitely Stranraer for the traditional derby rivals. Gretna thing was genuine hate for a while the way they went about things. No tears were shed among Queens fans when they went under, though we are supportive of the genuine people who restarted again. 

We dont hate Stranraer but its a genuine derby rivalry even if 75 miles away and not playing at the same level for most of the last 20 years.

No rivalry at all with Annan. Two clubs will help each other out when they can and some fans of both will watch the other when their own club arent playing. Might change if we ever play consistently at the same level but it hasnt happened yet.

My mum lives in Portpatrick (I'm sitting here right now typing this) but somehow it's only in the last couple of weeks I've realised just how far apart Stranraer and Dumfries are.  I'm 36 and have been coming down here from Ayr half my life and somehow thought it was only an hour or so max along the road.l! 

A fair number of the Gretna players moved down to Dumfries and Galloway during their success. Im sure MacFarlane, Gilfillan, Fleming to name but a few moved down. Anyone else? They also did some good stuff with the community. Like many I hated them at the time, but now recognise the impact they had helping us obtain players who otherwise at the time would have been out of reach. Itd be nice if we could train in Dumfries with players moving down or commuting and having a strong emphasis on local talent to give a community feel. Most clubs do train in the central belt now though. 

2 hours ago, chapelxnomore said:

Gretna,'s very existence gave us our best experience as supporters, ironically. Tosh, McQuilken, Aitken all came to Queens on the back of Gretna's slow demise, and provided what most fans would say was the best they have seen.

Yeah, like 19QOS19 already said, not Aitken. Aitken started here and was back here before Gretna imploded. Tosh, McQuilken, Macfarlane and eventually Barr yes.  Bingham too to an extent.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think I knew any QoS fan who didn't utterly despise Gretna either tbh. I hated everything they represented and felt genuine joy when they went tits up. The only sadness was for the couple of hundred real Gretna supporters who were there before Mileson (and are likely still there).

Yeah this, absolutely this.

1 hour ago, football maniac said:

A fair number of the Gretna players moved down to Dumfries and Galloway during their success. Im sure MacFarlane, Gilfillan, Fleming to name but a few moved down. Anyone else? They also did some good stuff with the community. Like many I hated them at the time, but now recognise the impact they had helping us obtain players who otherwise at the time would have been out of reach. Itd be nice if we could train in Dumfries with players moving down or commuting and having a strong emphasis on local talent to give a community feel. Most clubs do train in the central belt now though. 

Macfarlane and Tosh moved here when they signed for Gretna. Gilfillan did too (married locally and still here running Little Tekkers). I guess Greg Fleming probably did too. Certainly lives in Annan now but he had plenty of time living in England in his career after Gretna. I have no idea if he moved here while with Gretna or only after returning to Scotland from England. 

Gretna's demise got us 3 players we shouldnt have had who were critical to the Cup Final team. Gretna's challenge while they tried to hijack our community woke up the club and fans, got them working together in the same direction and set the foundations for much of the outstandkng work our community programme does today. Without them we would be a lesser organisation. I can recognise that without hating the old Gretna, and all they stood for, any less. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

My mum lives in Portpatrick (I'm sitting here right now typing this) but somehow it's only in the last couple of weeks I've realised just how far apart Stranraer and Dumfries are.  I'm 36 and have been coming down here from Ayr half my life and somehow thought it was only an hour or so max along the road.l! 
Geez. You should try taking the bus from Stranraer to Dumfries. It is like the endless journey calling into every town and village along the way...

Macfarlane and Tosh moved here when they signed for Gretna. Gilfillan did too (married locally and still here running Little Tekkers). I guess Greg Fleming probably did too. Certainly lives in Annan now but he had plenty of time living in England in his career after Gretna. I have no idea if he moved here while with Gretna or only after returning to Scotland from England. 
Gretna's demise got us 3 players we shouldnt have had who were critical to the Cup Final team. Gretna's challenge while they tried to hijack our community woke up the club and fans, got them working together in the same direction and set the foundations for much of the outstandkng work our community programme does today. Without them we would be a lesser organisation. I can recognise that without hating the old Gretna, and all they stood for, any less. 
I remember David Matheson went to Gretna too. I was gutted about that. Remember to this day him sitting in the away dug out at Palmerston laughing at the home fans whilst we were getting beaten 4-1 or 4-0

The Gretna stuff has been well covered both previously and by the posters above and I would agree with it all.  What I will say about Annan though, is that yes we have a good relationship with them, but they lost their "cuddly younger sibling" feeling after we stole a win at Galabank in the 2015 League Cup (http://www.qosfc.com/match-1276).  We just about sneaked through in that one after extra time, but for large parts of the game looked like going out and it felt way worse than your standard Queens defeat to lower league opposition.  Likewise when the full time whistle went and we had won, it felt more significant than simply beating a lower league team in an early round of a cup.

That said I don't recall the match last season holding the same importance, but then again it was the second game of the season and I had already seen enough to feel pretty dejected about our prospects.

9 hours ago, chapelxnomore said:

That's how I always felt as well, I certainly never felt like there was this big rivalry or hatred towards another club (historically or for decades). I do wonder if we had a town closer to us roughly about the same size with a team, then would it create a big rivalry or encourage more people to unite behind the team and be desperate to be better than them. 

1 hour ago, MallanandFlanagan said:
9 hours ago, Hursty said:

Geez. You should try taking the bus from Stranraer to Dumfries. It is like the endless journey calling into every town and village along the way...

The bus from Stranraer to Ayr is the same! Almost as if it's a punishment for going to Stranraer in the first place! 

As previously said Ayr v Queens isn't a derby in the real sense but it does generate a decent crowd and banter on here. I spent 7 years in Dumfries and went to school there. My old school friends are South supporters so I always enjoy a win against them, not that it has happened much recently!

That's how I always felt as well, I certainly never felt like there was this big rivalry or hatred towards another club (historically or for decades). I do wonder if we had a town closer to us roughly about the same size with a team, then would it create a big rivalry or encourage more people to unite behind the team and be desperate to be better than them. 
Genuine question: if you didn't have hatred towards Gretna, what were your respective feelings towards them?

2 hours ago, MallanandFlanagan said:
8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I remember David Matheson went to Gretna too. I was gutted about that. Remember to this day him sitting in the away dug out at Palmerston laughing at the home fans whilst we were getting beaten 4-1 or 4-0

Mathieson went to Gretna before they were a league team. He was there already when Mileson rocked up. He wasnt a money recruit. He is also a top guy, still travelling in from Kirkcudbright as a volunteer coach for us all these years later.