The Queen of the South thread

Is Murray decent? Never seen our games against each other last season.
If he's been signed as an attacking wide player you'll be disappointed. He rarely takes on his man. He doesn't have too bad a delivery though. For me he's best utilised playing off a striker. He tracks back well.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, Reid said:
Is Murray decent? Never seen our games against each other last season.

If he's been signed as an attacking wide player you'll be disappointed. He rarely takes on his man. He doesn't have too bad a delivery though. For me he's best utilised playing off a striker. He tracks back well.

Yeah, disagree with most of this to be honest. I agree that his best position is as a 2nd striker. His biggest problem in the last couple of years has been that his best position was generally occupied by a Mr S Dobbie! And so he had to work around that and generally play a wider role when he started for the 1st team. I hoped he might be the heir to Dobbie in a year but clearly not now. Loved watching him come through for the reserves and really disappointed he's away but it's not unexpected. He has terrific natural talent but is a bit lightweight. I thought he would probably have moved on this summer irrespective of the pandemic. I think he does take on men though but he's not really a winger and he's not going to speed to the byeline and get in a cross if that's what you meant (if so I do agree). He's far more likely to drop a shoulder, cut inside, and get a shot away. Prone to the odd spectacular goal such as Montrose away in the playoff last year, Queens Park in the cup and of course Thistle at Palmerston in the League. I think his defending is the weakest part of his game to be honest. He'll put in the effort, he's certainly no Andy Stirling, but he's not a great defensively minded player.

Can't say it's been an encouraging day with Mercer and Murray confirmed as signing elsewhere. Two I'd have liked to have seen back, though I did always think Murray at least would go. A concrete offer for Dykes is encouraging news though. Surely only a matter of time till he moves on.

Yeah, disagree with most of this to be honest. I agree that his best position is as a 2nd striker. His biggest problem in the last couple of years has been that his best position was generally occupied by a Mr S Dobbie! And so he had to work around that and generally play a wider role when he started for the 1st team. I hoped he might be the heir to Dobbie in a year but clearly not now. Loved watching him come through for the reserves and really disappointed he's away but it's not unexpected. He has terrific natural talent but is a bit lightweight. I thought he would probably have moved on this summer irrespective of the pandemic. I think he does take on men though but he's not really a winger and he's not going to speed to the byeline and get in a cross if that's what you meant (if so I do agree). He's far more likely to drop a shoulder, cut inside, and get a shot away. Prone to the odd spectacular goal such as Montrose away in the playoff last year, Queens Park in the cup and of course Thistle at Palmerston in the League. I think his defending is the weakest part of his game to be honest. He'll put in the effort, he's certainly no Andy Stirling, but he's not a great defensively minded player.
Can't say it's been an encouraging day with Mercer and Murray confirmed as signing elsewhere. Two I'd have liked to have seen back, though I did always think Murray at least would go. A concrete offer for Dykes is encouraging news though. Surely only a matter of time till he moves on.
I assume with your comment regarding Dykes that we will indeed get a cut of any fee for him?

11 hours ago, qos1990 said:

Who says we were even in for him?

According to Press reports Queens and Morton had shown interest in Doyle. 

As for Murray,  a frustrating player at times, for me anyway,  looks like he could be a game changer if he was in the mood but the head goes down if things aren't going right for him.  If he'd signed again for us it would have been OK but not too upset he's away somewhere else.

It still feels too early to know how to respond to these players winding up elsewhere.

It's true that they've dropped a level, but at the same time, there's no denying that they've moved to bigger clubs.   This probably pretty well reflects that they were kind of ok for us.

Mercer did improve significantly, but was brittle against certain attributes.  Murray has talent, but has been needing a big season for about three years now, and it's not yet arrived. 

I can't mourn the departure of these guys at face value, at the moment.  I'm aware though, that until we know what sort of players we can replace them with, it's hard to tell whether or not it's regrettable.

9 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Looks awfy like we won't have any of our better performers back next season with Kilday to Queens Park it looks now like Murray to Partick only leaves Lyon, Mercer, Pybus & Semple from last season that I would really like to see back. 

That's Murray signed for Partick & Mercer signed for Falkirk out of last seasons squad I would only bring back Semple, Lyon & Pybus unfortunately I am sure they will be snapped up very soon too... 

30 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

That's Murray signed for Partick & Mercer signed for Falkirk out of last seasons squad I would only bring back Semple, Lyon & Pybus unfortunately I am sure they will be snapped up very soon too... 

Semple and Lyon would be fine. It's a pass on Pybus for me though, I was trying to think who I could compare him to as a player and the best I could come up with is that he is a midfield version of Stewart Kean. Plenty running about, but in reality offers very little.

12 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Semple and Lyon would be fine. It's a pass on Pybus for me though, I was trying to think who I could compare him to as a player and the best I could come up with is that he is a midfield version of Stewart Kean. Plenty running about, but in reality offers very little.

Without wishing to be unduly harsh, I'm also struggling to understand the enthusiasm for Lyon.

Thought Lyon and Pybus were very similar. With a small squad, don't need both.

14 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:
29 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Thought Lyon and Pybus were very similar. With a small squad, don't need both.

The way its going I can't see any of last seasons players that were out of contract back at Queens next season. 👎

The way its going I can't see any of last seasons players that were out of contract back at Queens next season. [emoji107]

For many albeit not all of those involved that has to be a plus. These are really challenging times but there is an opportunity here. The possibility of a sell on sum of money if Livi sell Lyndon Dykes might just increase our options too.

Without wishing to be unduly harsh, I'm also struggling to understand the enthusiasm for Lyon.

Versatile, broke up play, tidy enough on the ball. If were going with a smaller squad again, the versatility would’ve been handy in itself.

Pybus a headless chicken with zero quality on the ball. I’d also have taken chance on semple as we’ll struggle to sign anyone better. If he continued to screw the nut with the obvious fitness issues that is.

Was unaware of Doyle link, liked him but think his enthusiasm overstated his ability. Again his versatility would be a bonus. I’d be quite happy to take Scott Hooper back as a replacement for Mercer if we could. If it’s right the club want more local boys, he fits the bill. Never really let us down during his time. Probably better defensively than Merce unsure of going forward. The boy is a fucking unit as well.

Good morning, I wanted to ask you about a former player of the club, Alan Bain, it seems that he played in Queen of the South from '87 to '90, previously in clydebank, I do not know if they remembered what type of player he was.

51 minutes ago, Fitbafollower said:

Has Wullie Gibson signed as a player

he is local is he not

Wullie Gibson still stays in the area. There's a piece about Gibson's career in yesterday's Courier in which he signs off by saying he's been keeping himself fit during the lockdown and wants to keep playing,  and in his mid 30's thinks he can still do a job for someone.  Queens haven't signed Gibson or any other new players yet and the Manager is still furloughed. There is obviously a doubt about Gibson's current Reserve Team Manager's role at the club, has the BoD decided if we will be running a second string in the new season?

Edit to add: Wullie says in the article  he really enjoyed his spells playing for Stranraer so a move back to them in League 2 could be an option for him I suppose. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

10 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Wullie Gibson still stays in the area. There's a piece about Gibson's career in yesterday's Courier in which he signs off by saying he's been keeping himself fit during the lockdown and wants to keep playing,  and in his mid 30's thinks he can still do a job for someone.  Queens haven't signed Gibson or any other new players yet and the Manager is still furloughed. There is obviously a doubt about Gibson's current Reserve Team Manager's role at the club, has the BoD decided if we will be running a second string in the new season?

Surely they will be no reserve team this season hard enough getting a 1st team squad together .

Gibson could do a job for us in center midfield his experience will be important for us 

Edited by Northfield 53

18 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yep, thats the one who was here too. He is a brilliant character, a real heart on the sleeve fans favourite with a great work rate. But his best position was centre back, not right back, and he was prone to the odd horror mistake now and again. I will see your penalty v Hearts and raise you a comic own goal at Tannadice. I would have happily had Doyle back but I am more disappointed to lose Mercer.

Doyle is a far better full back than Mercer  

Doyle defends no messing about can't remember many who fly past him  

Mercer is easily beat for pace   okay good going forward but that is not enough for me  

Doyle is a far better full back than Mercer  
Doyle defends no messing about can't remember many who fly past him  
Mercer is easily beat for pace   okay good going forward but that is not enough for me  

My recall is that Doyle didn’t play that many games for us at full back. I tend to agree with SD that Doyle was better in central defence. For me Mercer a better full back. All about opinions though.