The Queen of the South thread

38 minutes ago, Vinnyjag said:

Connor Murray apparently signing for us (Thistle) today, is he any good?

Of the 10 goals he scored for us, 6 of them were against teams from the divisions below us in cup/play-off games. You’ve got to think he’ll be decent at that level going by that. 

Looks awfy like we won't have any of our better performers back next season with Kilday to Queens Park it looks now like Murray to Partick only leaves Lyon, Mercer, Semple & Pybus from last season that I would really like to see back. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

35 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Looks awfy like we won't have any of our better performers back next season with Kilday to Queens Park it looks now like Murray to Partick only leaves Lyon, Mercer & Semple from last season that I would really like to see back. 

Scott Mercer has just signed for Falkirk. 

How does Mercer compare to Doyle? Can't say I've seen much of him but he's at a good age - played plenty football but not past his prime.
Haven't saw much of him but surely an upgrade on Doyle
He was discussed earlier on in here and Palmy_Cammy gave a fair assessment. Solid 6/10 every week from him at this level. I think this will be as high a level he goes for regular football tbh (though if Shaun Rooney has managed to get himself a move to St Johnstone anything's possible). He improved incredibly in his time here. I had him as one of the worst RBs I'd seen and ended up having him as the No 1 choice at RB. Offensively he seems to be one of those players that if he doesn't have to think about it he can be very good. When he has a bit of time I think he's a bit suspect. Defensively he's fine but I did still fear when he came up against pace.

He should do fine at that level but then again if Doyle wasn't well liked then I think Mercer might have his work cut out for him.

I agree about trying keep a nucleus of a squad and build on it but that only works if the nucleus is half decent. I’m not at all sorry to see last seasons squad getting emptied, I just wish the manager was going as well.

It’s telling that even the so-called “best of the bunch” that some wanted to keep have all dropped a level or more.

Indeed. I'm not worried we only have 3 players signed as we had less this time last season (technically). My worry is with the guy doing the rebuilding job given he made an arse of it last season.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

He was discussed earlier on in here and Palmy_Cammy gave a fair assessment. Solid 6/10 every week from him at this level. I think this will be as high a level he goes for regular football tbh (though if Shaun Rooney has managed to get himself a move to St Johnstone anything's possible). He improved incredibly in his time here. I had him as one of the worst RBs I'd seen and ended up having him as the No 1 choice at RB. Offensively he seems to be one of those players that if he doesn't have to think about it he can be very good. When he has a bit of time I think he's a bit suspect. Defensively he's fine but I did still fear when he came up against pace.

He should do fine at that level but then again if Doyle wasn't well liked then I think Mercer might have his work cut out for him.

It wasn't so much Doyle wasn't well liked, a lot of our fans liked him mainly due to him being a bit of a joker off the park. Ability wise he had a good engine to get up and down he just couldn't cross the road and was partial to the odd brainstorm in the box, the penalty he gave away against Hearts in the cup being a prime example. 

It wasn't so much Doyle wasn't well liked, a lot of our fans liked him mainly due to him being a bit of a joker off the park. Ability wise he had a good engine to get up and down he just couldn't cross the road and was partial to the odd brainstorm in the box, the penalty he gave away against Hearts in the cup being a prime example. 

I quite liked Doyle when he was at QOS but he’s somewhat “Jack of all trades, master of none”. Always gives his best and as you say he’s a bit of a joker too.

45 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Yep, thats the one who was here too. He is a brilliant character, a real heart on the sleeve fans favourite with a great work rate. But his best position was centre back, not right back, and he was prone to the odd horror mistake now and again. I will see your penalty v Hearts and raise you a comic own goal at Tannadice. I would have happily had Doyle back but I am more disappointed to lose Mercer.

5 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

Good moves for Mercer and Murray I would say. I imagine they will be on better money than they were on at Queens.
Maybe a case of other managers rating some our players from last season more highly than our fans?

I’d be more concerned if they were making moves to clubs above us tbh.

Good moves for Mercer and Murray I would say. I imagine they will be on better money than they were on at Queens.
Maybe a case of other managers rating some our players from last season more highly than our fans?
Regardless of the club size, they are both in League 1. I've no way of knowing but I highly doubt bigger clubs at this level were falling over each other to get the same signatures. The boys will do a job at that level but I doubt either player would have ended up where they are if those clubs were trying for promotion in this division.

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
9 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:

I thought he was over-rated, so not bothered about losing out on him.
Would be good to sign someone/anyone soon though, just for something to talk about!

It would certainly stop some of the annual knicker-wetting at least.

A lot of people bemoaning the fact that other clubs are signing the players that had us fighting relegation 2 seasons in a row. 

it would be good to have a signing or 2 lined up but let’s be looking at someone new.

Edited by Benji