The Queen of the South thread

31 minutes ago, lowland star said:

It is very interesting the last few days about lack of signing or even rumours. I think we are 3 weeks away from signing anyone .
I will make a rumour prediction that we will sign Aaron Splaine

Wouldn't surprise me to see Scott Hooper.. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

I think the rumour that we will be going down the youth route won't be far off the mark. With our crowds last season I was half expecting us to be PT or at least a hybrid this season. With the Corona virus I thought that would make it certain so for us to stay FT was a (pleasant) surprise. I expect we'll have a smaller budget than even last season though. I think AJ is going to have to be extremely shrewd with his signings this season and for that reason I already have it in my head that it's a stay of execution for us. I hope I'm wrong and he surprises us but his signings have been 'meh' at best for me. The fact the majority couldn't care if anyone returns from last season speaks volumes.

Whilst as usual Supersouth is over the top in his praise and VT is over the top the other way, even the worst of teams usually have some decent players in them. We have been relegated once in over 30 years but that relegated side contained players like Lee Robinson, Chris Higgins, Ryan McGuffie, Nicky Clark, Stephen McKenna who played a massive part in the team that was highly successful for the following 2 or 3 years. 

I'm not going to start naming names but there are certainly members of last year's squad who are more than capable of doing a job in a good Championship side.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not going to start naming names but there are certainly members of last year's squad who are more than capable of doing a job in a good Championship side.

Why not give examples.... 

Guest Flash
3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think the rumour that we will be going down the youth route won't be far off the mark. With our crowds last season I was half expecting us to be PT or at least a hybrid this season. With the Corona virus I thought that would make it certain so for us to stay FT was a (pleasant) surprise. I expect we'll have a smaller budget than even last season though. I think AJ is going to have to be extremely shrewd with his signings this season and for that reason I already have it in my head that it's a stay of execution for us. I hope I'm wrong and he surprises us but his signings have been 'meh' at best for me. The fact the majority couldn't care if anyone returns from last season speaks volumes.

Coronavirus probably helped us lose less money last season. Although there was no income for the last few weeks, there were no wages. I’m not sure if we’d had to pay wages that the income from the last 4 games would have covered them. It is true that having fewer games next season won’t help financially but the players will also be signing later.

I suspect that the budget for next season will be lower than last mainly due to the results in all the cups. In Naysmith’s last season, we got out the Betfred group and got to the 5th round of the Scottish Cup, which was on tv. Johnson’s team got knocked out of all the cups in the first round. The difference in prize money and tv money between the two seasons will be fairly substantial.

Johnson will be quite happy that the season ended early because it saved us from certain relegation (which deflected attention from his performance) and has also deflected attention away from his cup results that were the main reason for the loss of income.

4 hours ago, Flash said:

Coronavirus probably helped us lose less money last season. Although there was no income for the last few weeks, there were no wages. I’m not sure if we’d had to pay wages that the income from the last 4 games would have covered them. It is true that having fewer games next season won’t help financially but the players will also be signing later.

In Naysmith’s last season, we got out the Betfred group and got to the 5th round of the Scottish Cup, which was on tv. Johnson’s team got knocked out of all the cups in the first round. The difference in prize money and tv money between the two seasons will be fairly substantial.

Johnson will be quite happy that the season ended early because it saved us from certain relegation (which deflected attention from his performance) and has also deflected attention away from his cup results that were the main reason for the loss of income.

Johnston must have been happy the season ended when it did or he would almost certainly been out of a job weeks ago. He was the lucky one the players were the unlucky ones... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

5 hours ago, Flash said:

The income from the last 4 games would not have covered the wage bill for the last 2.5 months. I'm not sure how much money comes into Palmerston on  a match day but I would reckon a fairly low percentage. Out of a home crowd of 1000 I wouldn't expect many more than half to being 'paying at the gate' with the rest already having paid through season tickets, shirt draw sponsorship tickets

On what we seen last season the players who showed enough to be kept for me were mercer holt pybus and Murray and maybe osman the rest were way short and yes dobbie is included in that. It shows he can't do it all on his own I'm glad he's still here but needs a decent partner but the rest I certainly won't lose any sleep over that's for sure

On what we seen last season the players who showed enough to be kept for me were mercer holt pybus and Murray and maybe osman the rest were way short and yes dobbie is included in that. It shows he can't do it all on his own I'm glad he's still here but needs a decent partner but the rest I certainly won't lose any sleep over that's for sure

Holt was being kept anyway given he has a deal to cover next season.

On 17/07/2020 at 10:21, SUPERSOUTH said:

Don't think many if any of the first team players from last season will be back apart from Dobbie....

If talk of Holt leaving is right it looks like my prediction the other day might unfortunately not be to far away... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

34 minutes ago, FrankReynolds said:

"SPFL clubs will be allowed to sign a maximum of six players on loan this season. "

Hope we make good use of this. 

I suspect quite a few clubs will be thinking the same,  but getting to the front of the queue will be very important.  Someone’s going to get exposed bringing in rangers colts 3rd choice right back and quickly regretting it. 

Edited by parsforlife