The Queen of the South thread

There’s a few you’d have back (Mercer, Semple, Lyon). It’s good to have a few familiar faces around who know the club. Building a whole new squad in a short space of time is a massive gamble as a team can take a while to gel and as we all know there will be less games next season so it’s important to hit the ground running. 

Edited by ALOREBURNE

3 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

There’s a few you’d have back (Mercer, Semple, Lyon). It’s good to have a few familiar faces around who know the club. Building a whole new squad in a short space of time is a massive gamble as a team can take a while to gel and as we all know there will be less games next season so it’s important to hit the ground running. 

Agree with this.  We're not going to sign a squad of players that's  a great deal better than last season's so re-signing  a few that fall into the "basically capable"  variety wouldn't be too bad a thing.  Some you wouldn't want back of course but we may actually get a couple of new faces that MAY turn out to be an upgrade on the less fancied ones from last season. AJ's  got a big job on his hands anyway. 

47 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Agree with this.  We're not going to sign a squad of players that's  a great deal better than last season's so re-signing  a few that fall into the "basically capable"  variety wouldn't be too bad a thing.  Some you wouldn't want back of course but we may actually get a couple of new faces that MAY turn out to be an upgrade on the less fancied ones from last season. AJ's  got a big job on his hands anyway. 

We are away behind other clubs going to be a huge task for AJ to sign a new squad with little money is he up to the job time will tell 

The Queen of the South Annual shirt draw is on 6th August 2020. It is a fantastic draw with a super top prize and lots of other great prizes as well.

The Queens Trust have put in 3 entries already for this years draw and if we can get to 250 Trust members we will be able to submit another entry. 

Another great reason to join the Queens Trust. Support the work we do, have a chance to win Queens season tickets and help us help the club with another draw entry. Join today.

5A96F1BB-5F3A-4EDE-ACFA-D3B9DF757B47.jpeg

The Queen of the South Annual shirt draw is on 6th August 2020. It is a fantastic draw with a super top prize and lots of other great prizes as well.

The Queens Trust have put in 3 entries already for this years draw and if we can get to 250 Trust members we will be able to submit another entry. 

Another great reason to join the Queens Trust. Support the work we do, have a chance to win Queens season tickets and help us help the club with another draw entry. Join today.

Have joined today. How many members are there at this point? Keep up the good work.

Reading through the Championship Predictor thread - almost every poster predicting Queens to finish bottom or second bottom. Hard to disagree with Alloa and Arbroath likely to re-sign the nucleus of their squads leaving Queens the most vulnerable FT side on paper at least. Fortunately our fate is not determined on paper but it is a depressing read nonetheless.

BOD have a pretty unenviable task (as do all other decision makers in Scottish football)- trying to strike a sensible balance between being competitive and keeping the club financially afloat. This has always been the challenge for us but the uncertainty of “Covid” makes the challenge much harder with so many unpredictable variables.

We have done very well indeed to have only had one relegation since our 2001/2002 promotion - that is a fantastic effort but this coming season is undoubtedly going to be a huge challenge. It is no coincidence that our best recent seasons have been built on a core nucleus of players who had built up some affinity with the club and the supporters. I understand the thinking behind de-risking by freeing so many players but mass annual clear outs is not the way forward. If and when we see a return to normality I would like to see us try and re-establish a nucleus of squad that can be part of the club for a few seasons and build a base from which we can be competitive.

This season is going to be the most unpredictable ever. Teams starting from scratch, huge variation in fitness and mentality of players due lockdown, big financial changes due covid. Availability of players different than usual. All of this will play a part.

I’m not exactly saying we’re favourites to win the league by any stretch of the imagine but nobody knows what’s going to happen and that makes it quite exciting for me.

The last Queens team I really loved was the one that Johnson built last time around, starting from youth.

AndTo be honest, if we are going to struggle, I would rather see us struggle with a more home grown squad than a bunch ofjourneyman who don’t care about the club.

Now is the time to be financially cautious. Nobody has ANY idea what’s going to happen this season.

Best case scenario, a vaccine comes and everything is back to normal with full crowds by December.

Worst case scenario there is a massive second wave and the season gets cancelled/delayed again. If there is no furlough or very limited furlough second time around clubs that have over committed will go bust.

Or ANYTHING in between.

14 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Have joined today. How many members are there at this point? Keep up the good work.

That’s brilliant. Thank you very much for joining the Trust. We are now at 180 members signed up for the new season. 

Looks like we are going to miss out on Michael Doyle going to Queens Park. 
Are we going to miss out on a few players with us not even thinking about signing players till mid August .
It may be just me but I really can't see us signing a player ever ever again :(

Are we going to miss out on a few players with us not even thinking about signing players till mid August .

Who says we were even in for him?

I thought he was over-rated, so not bothered about losing out on him.
Would be good to sign someone/anyone soon though, just for something to talk about!

I thought he was over-rated, so not bothered about losing out on him.
Would be good to sign someone/anyone soon though, just for something to talk about!
It would certainly stop some of the annual knicker-wetting at least.

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

Don't think we would have been in for him, When he was released by Falkirk, Queens Park was the most obvious destination for him teaming up with Mckinnon again.. 

Sure there are better players out there than Doyle.. 

Connor Murray apparently signing for us (Thistle) today, is he any good?
He'll do a job in League 1, he'll be hot and cold in the Championship, he'll be out his depth in the Premiership.

I'd have been happy to keep him but I'm far from gutted he isn't staying.

36 minutes ago, Vinnyjag said:

Connor Murray apparently signing for us (Thistle) today, is he any good?

He certainly has talent but is inconsistent. We often played him wide but he's more suited to a central position IMHO. I'd have been happy if he'd stayed on with us. Should do very well in league 1.  Good luck to him.