The Queen of the South thread

I'd like to see Pybus, Mercer, Semple and Murray stay as I feel they are decent players. Mercer if it's true about raith will likely be away as he's a Kirkcaldy native. Buchanan if we could get him would be a solid start for new acquisitions. You wonder who will be left for senior teams as so many non league teams are signing seasoned pros. You also have to factor in queen's park and cove as competitors too.

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think he's better than that and he'd certainly be in the category of players I'd like to see us try to re-sign. I never thought he was as bad as some people made out when he first joined us either though he was undeniably absolutely torn a new one by Lewis Morgan a couple of times. I think he got better every season though and people forget he's only just turned 25 because he looks older. I don't think he's a player who will ever make it to the Premier probably but he's a sold full time Championship level right back, capable of covering left back if need be.

He played most of youth career as a winger ,  he’ll quite comfortably fill the roll of reasonably cheap, can fill multiple positions and will be consistent most weeks.  A good amount of managers will find that desirable  especially given the current circumstances.

4 minutes ago, football maniac said:

I'd like to see Pybus, Mercer, Semple and Murray stay as I feel they are decent players. Mercer if it's true about raith will likely be away as he's a Kirkcaldy native. Buchanan if we could get him would be a solid start for new acquisitions. You wonder who will be left for senior teams as so many non league teams are signing seasoned pros. You also have to factor in queen's park and cove as competitors too.

Mercer is from Dunfermline.  Like most fifers he’s born in Lino-town and gets to out quickly(ideally within a day). 

7 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Good for him. Likewise I would happily take back a fully fit Semple. Can’t see it happening though.

You would think Queens would want him back, A  good young championship proven CB that could benefit Queens on the pitch just now and financially in the future. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

50 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

You would think Queens would want him back, A  good young championship proven CB that could benefit Queens on the pitch just now and financially in the future. 

Is he a "proven" Championship CB? He's made less than a seasons worth of fixtures at this level over two years

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Is he a "proven" Championship CB? He's made less than a seasons worth of fixtures at this level over two years

When he has been selected he has proven his worth to the team. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

When he has been selected he has proven his worth to the team. 

At least part of the reason for his non selection last season was his self induced lack of fitness. I’d love a fully fit Semple at QOS next season but he let himself down at Ross County with his gambling and then again at QOS with his lack of fitness. I’d have used him more once he was fit but let’s not pretend that at least some of the difficulties weren’t down to the player himself.

9 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

At least part of the reason for his non selection last season was his self induced lack of fitness. I’d love a fully fit Semple at QOS next season but he let himself down at Ross County with his gambling and then again at QOS with his lack of fitness. I’d have used him more once he was fit but let’s not pretend that at least some of the difficulties weren’t down to the player himself.

Sure Callum would be first to admit his much publicised issues at Ross County had a bigger effect on him mentally & physically than even he thought, but since returning to Queens he has put his head down & got himself sorted on & off the field and nearing the end of last season he was proving to be back to the player he was first time round at Queens that ultimately got him his move to Ross County. Remember he is still only 21 & going by some of his posts on other social media he certainly has kept himself fit during lockdown.  If Queens are going down the youth route this season he is certainly a player that fits the bill.. I seem to remember another Queens player who when younger almost got lost in the game and look where he ended up - playing at Wembley in front of 90,000 fans. 

22 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Yes Mercer will be missed at Queens he improved every season good attacking fullback, who has he signed for? 

Good attacking full back but poor when up against anyone with pace .

Cadden now  ex Morton easily beat him every time  was the main reason we lost 4 nil he is the most recent example but there had been many more .

Would rather have Doyle at right back more solid defender .The likes of Doyle and most experienced players will be out of our price range we will go with a very young squad this season players hoping to make the next step up backed up with loan players 

Simple is a decent center half but we just can't take the risk with his fitness .

Edited by Northfield 53

Sure Callum would be first to admit his much publicised issues at Ross County had a bigger effect on him mentally & physically than even he thought, but since returning to Queens he has put his head down & got himself sorted on & off the field and nearing the end of last season he was proving to be back to the player he was first time round at Queens that ultimately got him his move to Ross County. Remember he is still only 21 & going by some of his posts on other social media he certainly has kept himself fit during lockdown.  If Queens are going down the youth route this season he is certainly a player that fits the bill.. I seem to remember another Queens player who when younger almost got lost in the game and look where he ended up - playing at Wembley in front of 90,000 fans. 

Yep I’m just a bit weary of the endless criticism of Johnston on the matter. Some of the criticism of the manager on the issue is probably justified but the root of the issues lie firmly with Semple. Very much hope he kicks on with his career now. Would welcome him back at QOS.

‪Join the Queens Trust today for only £10 or £5 for the whole year to help support our work AND to get the chance to win Queen of the South season tickets!

Big thank you to the 170 members who have joined so far. Still a bit to go to reach last years fantastic 260. Please join soon to be in the season ticket draw. 

Here are the Queens Trust committee who have all rejoined for 20/21: Jayne Pringle and John Johnstone (co-chairs), Louise Currie (Secretary), David Copeland (Treasurer), Christine Findlater and Frank Currie

59A88BF3-BA59-415F-9872-9CAECF1163A3.jpeg

20/21 Adult Trust membership £10 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253819075856

20/21 junior/senior/all concessions Trust membership £5 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252996969388

Please click here for other details of how to join the Queens Trust...   http://queenstrust.org/?page_id=36

Some of the work of the Queens Trust... http://queenstrust.org/?p=1086

10 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Sure Callum would be first to admit his much publicised issues at Ross County had a bigger effect on him mentally & physically than even he thought, but since returning to Queens he has put his head down & got himself sorted on & off the field and nearing the end of last season he was proving to be back to the player he was first time round at Queens that ultimately got him his move to Ross County.

Would this be the same 'back to his best' Callum Semple who was waving through waves of Morton attacks in your 4-0 evisceration just before the break? I'd try white knighting for a player who isn't that completely horseshit tbh.

Season tickets are now on sale 
Its like buying a ticket for a film ,
and you don't know who's in it .
but buy it anyway .
They've been on sale for a week.

They're on sale every year before most of the squad is known or even sometimes before the opposition is known

7 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

If you look back at the highlights you'll find he wasn't at fault for any of the 4 goals that day....

Oh right, because quality defenders take zero interceptive actions in their defensive third when their team is getting overrun and instead abdicate responsibility to their team mates. As I said he waved them through on goal by contributing absolutely nothing and if you think that's an acceptable defensive performance because he didn't directly cause any goals by a mistake then you're a fool.

If I were a Queens' fan between that shameful performance and winning about one of your last twenty games I'd never want any of that squad to darken the door of Palmerston again. That you seem to think that there are precious gems to be excavated from that heap of utter dung - and your endless, just maybe this time bizarre fixation with Semple in particular - is hilarious in its delusion.

37 minutes ago, virginton said:

If I were a Queens' fan between that shameful performance and winning about one of your last twenty games I'd never want any of that squad to darken the door of Palmerston again. 

Just as well your not then! 😂 

1 hour ago, FrankReynolds said:

But the part you've quoted is right. I don't know why any of us would want any of last seasons squad back (except Dobbie.) 

Replace 2 or 3 players with the the management..... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH